[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Animals in war
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: 1449319716777.jpg (668 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
1449319716777.jpg
668 KB, 1152x864
Suppose biology made progress and now we are able to easily train any animal: make them obey commands, be unafraid of certain things (like gunfire), ovveride and add desired instincts.

What applications for them would you see in a modern war? What animals for which role?
>>
>>30081904
Dogs for bombs/landmines/IED's, but we already have those and that's about it.
No other points really, they don't have any advantages over a machine or human ingenuity.
>>
Two words: Bear Calvary.

I don't care that it's stupid and useless in modern warfare, I fucking want it.
>>
Pesticide resistant mosquitos that have lived off the blood of nothing but creatures infected with various diseases.

Use pheromones to make the Skeeters not bite our soldiers. Unleash them on the major cities of our enemies.
>>
suicide rats with grenades strappe don them?

Very hard to spot and shoot untill you are in the blasting radius.
>>
File: HqVOH.jpg (55 KB, 409x475) Image search: [Google]
HqVOH.jpg
55 KB, 409x475
>>30081939
>Pesticide resistant mosquitos
You don't paly god. You don't. They will reproduce and will bring force the apocalypse on the whole world.

Seriously I believe you usauly don't want to kill civies? Or Am I wrong?
>>
This is actually possible with present day technology to an extent.

With artifical memories, proper conditioning and training, gene tweaking, and electronic implants, small rodents and mammals could essentially be programmed to respond to certain stimuli and follow certain pathways.

Rodents could become facility infiltrates and chew threw wires to disrupt enemy activity.

Slightly larger mammals could be trained to serve as martyrs - though such tactics should be condemned.
>>
>>30082157
>>30081951
Can't we do it with radio commanded vehicles?

What are they?50 bucks?
Nothing compared to the cost of a good missle.
>>
>>30081925
I think you meant cavalry.
>>
WAR PIGS

>smarter than dogs
>soldiers wont care about sending them to their deaths because they're food
>can tear a man apart with their tusks
>Muslims are terrified by them

fund it now
>>
>>30081925
Reminder the Pollacks used bears in WWII

>in WW2 a Free Polish artillery unit adopted a bear and brought it along with them. The bear participated in the battle of Monte Cassino and supposedly helped move ammunition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_(bear)
>>
File: 1463968863570.jpg (74 KB, 736x613) Image search: [Google]
1463968863570.jpg
74 KB, 736x613
>>30081904
Unintrusted until I get my human intelligent raptors. Or near perfect DNA alteration.

Mfw no raptor gf.
>>
>>30081958
Mosquitoes are already resistant to most pesticides because we overused them. We already played god.

In fact, part of the entire Zika bullshit is because we used a shitload of pesticides in Brazil, and they contaminated the water supply as well as the mosquitoes that survived. (The Yam Head syndrome is NOT because of the virus.)

So, your fear is already a reality, broheim. May as well use it in the future to remove Kebab.
>>
File: cool-facts18.jpg (54 KB, 600x401) Image search: [Google]
cool-facts18.jpg
54 KB, 600x401
pvt. wojtek reporting for duty sir
>>
>>30083063
>mosquitos got resistant to pesticides because we sprayed them with pesiticides!
>I read about it in a fiction novel!
mhm... and you're telling me that we had the mosquito populations down to the 0.01% that were resistant to pesticides... and they didn't all get eaten by predators at that point?

You see where I'm going with this?

It defies everything we know about the food chain balance.
>>
File: optogenetics-mouse.png (124 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
optogenetics-mouse.png
124 KB, 300x300
>>30081904
those technologies already exist, its called optogenetics
>>
>>30083745
tell me more.
No seriously what is that etch and what are it limits?
>>
>>30081904
why bother. we have a shit load of millennials. just offer 'em free college or something.
>>
File: image.png (308 KB, 431x589) Image search: [Google]
image.png
308 KB, 431x589
>>30083012
>>
>>30082931
They would be good for both ranged and maylay
>>
>>30081925
Cavalry is a bunch of dudes on horses coming to the rescue.
Calvary is one dude on a stick who, depending on your views, may or may not be coming to the rescue.
They're different words.
>>
>>30084083
*sigh* not that poster, but....
Genetically engineered mice, neurons respond to particular wavelengths of light. Precision fiber optic laser blasts neurons. Turns off/ On memories, or can outright delete them. Mouse learns a task, laser, forgets task. laser, remembers task. Mouse is afraid, mouse is not afraid. Finally, researchers have been able to transplant basic memories from mouse to mouse. Again these are GMO organisms that respond to the laser.

However, it is the beginning of something bigger, and will likely be utilized in neural-machine interface.

Transhumanism, here we come. yeehaw
>>
>>30082974
>implying soldiers won't start to love them like dogs
Soldiers, for some reason, love animals.
I think they would not want to get piggles killed
>>
Roaches or any kind of pest that could selectively attack and destroy stockpiles of supplies.

Surveillance birds. Like a small drone that could live in the field for weeks, virtually undetectable in regions with native birds.

Allah ackbar birds - Hard to shoot, could be used for attack or area denial.

Any animal with a strong sense of smell could better be used in large semi autonomous groups to sweep an area.

alarm crickets. Loud, Tiny, easy to transport but hard to detect. Could work in groups, if they are poisoned they make a distinctive noise before dying and the others signal.
>>
>>30081904
Little birds for scouting and harrassing
Rats for black ops and biological warfare
>>
File: penguin_army_bear_cavalry.jpg (99 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
penguin_army_bear_cavalry.jpg
99 KB, 750x600
>>30081925
>Two words: Bear Calvary.
But then you run into, like, countermeasures and stuff.
>>
Airdrop fire ants
It's the new napalm
>>
Black bears sniffing out drugs. They have far superior smell and sight than dogs. Use them on the Canada US border to stop the flow of South American drugs.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.