[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY revolver grips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
Hi /k/, Europoor here.
I have an old Swedish nagant revolver whose wooden grips have basically rotten away. I'm in the process of substituting them and I was thinking of making them myself. I have access to woodworking tools, so that shouldn't be a problem.
The problem is that I don't know which wood to use. We have plenty of pine in the local hardware stores but it's too soft I think.
Any suggestion on the type of wood or alternative easily available materials?
Thank you
>>
Some sort of exotic wood?

If you're making it yourself, make it something fancy.
>>
>>30081236
Ideally I would want something not too hard to acquire. It's a fully restored gun, so it has basically 0 collection value
>>
File: 1383411445275.jpg (20 KB, 360x400) Image search: [Google]
1383411445275.jpg
20 KB, 360x400
>>30081220

Add a knife!
>>
>>30081220
Something exotic.

Zebrawood, rosewood, blood wood...

I'd make mine either out of Ebony, or Tiger Maple
>>
>>30081246
Can't you just order wood blocks online? That shouldn't be too hard.

Pine shouldn't be too soft. As long as it's not like Balsa, it should be fine.

Got any pics of it? I'd love to throw some goo ideas around, but I think it would help to see what the gun looked like
>>
>>30081249
I'll probably attach an assault bayonet and a 30 round clipazine as well
>>30081250
I wouldn't know where to look for exotic woods without having to pay enormous shipping fees since I live in an isolated place.
What are some of the most "standard" woods for grips? Maybe I can even find a small tree locally
>>
>>30081220
not expensive to buy original, russian grips.
>>
File: maple or hazel gunstock.jpg (82 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
maple or hazel gunstock.jpg
82 KB, 640x480
>>30081246
>>30081236

Maple or Hazel, whichever this is, looks awesome if done right.

Failing that: a Pearl handled Nagant would be hilarious.
>>
>>30081260
Standard swiss woods would do just fine. A good walnut or beech shouldn't be too hard to find.

You can never ever go wrong with a good dark walnut.
>>
>>30081259
I can but it would be very expensive because I live in a very isolated place.
So pine should be ok?
No pics now because I'm at work, but it looks almost exactly like pic related (grips excluded)
>>
>>30081220
I would not take an exotic wood. I mean, it's a fully restored gun, with only emotional value. I would rather take a local wood, building something that comes from the place where you live is very interesting. Pine is soft but it's easier to work, and i guess you can strengthen it with a rod of steel
>>
>>30081269
would they fit even if it's the Swedish version? That would save me a lot of work
>>30081270
>>30081272
nice, thank you
>>
>>30081282
This guy has a wonderful idea

I'm
>>30081272
>>30081259 and
>>30081250

I'd recommend walnut myself, but I just like the dark richness of it. Flip a coin between it and pine and tell us what you think.

Godspeed swissanon
>>
>>30081282
>>30081329
this sounds great since I already have a lot of pine scraps. Cheers guys
>>
>>30081335
No problem buddy. You gotta take pictures and show us all in exchange

I'm definitely interested
>>
>>30081350
I definitely will. It should be done in a day or two. Thanks again
>>
Swedish?

Masur birch. Or just plain old birch if you want something to practice on.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.