[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help me find a video
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Axe.jpg (151 KB, 950x631) Image search: [Google]
Axe.jpg
151 KB, 950x631
Just watched this based movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091191/

I fucking don't get it why it got only 7.5 on IMDB. It kept me holding my breath most of the time.

Anyway, I have also read this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Red_Wings
Which says:
>Shah had with him two videographers during the ambush, and As-Sahab Media released a video of the ambush and the items recovered from the SEALs.

How do I find this based video of the Taliban's ambush to the reconnaissance team?
Can somebody help me?
>>
File: Ahmad Shah Based Snuff.png (58 KB, 1143x303) Image search: [Google]
Ahmad Shah Based Snuff.png
58 KB, 1143x303
>>30072395
As per OP
>>
>>30072395
nigger 2 seconds of google gives you the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF9ebIqitWw
>>
did you try the Chichal public library?
maybe get it on the Inter-library loan program, that would save going to the Korangal valley at least.
>>
It's on liveleak somewhere
>>
>>30072416
Start around the 38 minute mark to save yourself time. I hope they cut the video man's hands off for being so fucking shaky.
>>30072395
That movie was pure propaganda. The only thing truthful in it was a seal team was ambushed and a Chinook full of guys was shot down.

There was no heroic shootout or leap off of a clip with Marky Mark bouncing like a rag doll for 50 feet and living. They planned that mission horribly and were ambushed almost immediately and killed in minutes.
>>
>>30072744
>They planned that mission horribly and were ambushed almost immediately and killed in minutes.
Horribly planned?

I mean, why so? Bad management? I am not a military man, so I don't get this.

Of course I expected the film to be romanticized -- i.e. numbers of enemies increased, and certain actions emphasized.

However, I expected the planning and briefing parts to be accurate -- both in real life and in the movie.

Otherwise why sending 4 random SEALs just because in the middle of nowhere and with bad communication and a silly plan?
>>
>>30072416
>40:00
If there is a reason why I will always hate Islamic guerrilla is that there is ALWAYS a fucking idiot shouting Allahu Akbar next to the mic no matter what's happening on camera.

I mean, I understand the excitement and all that... but, come on!, my dialect has some 200 swearing words and I don't expect people around me to keep repeating the same words over and over again.

At some point somebody must snap and say:
>Shut the fuck up Ahmed. We know already Allah is Great; you don't have to fucking shout it over and over again every fucking time you pull the trigger.
>>
>>30072828
Different anon here. They did a mission that the USMC had been doing in that area for a while. They came in and disregarded the lay of the land information the marines had, and they disregarded how the marines did their missions.

They inserted way to close to be stealthy, and they had helicopters doing dummy landings all over the area in an effort to confuse the insurgents of their location. All this did was 100% assure that the insurgents knew they were out there somewhere.

This is speculation, but I believe that their "bad communications" were not due to bad luck. That just doesn't happen, especially on all 4 radios. I believe that they either failed to load, or loaded the wrong encryption on their radios, causing them to have trouble communicating back to their command. Further, I believe that this happened because their command had quickly taken them off of one mission and pushed them into this mission, not allowing them enough time to rest and check their gear, which may well have caused this to be missed.

I don't buy the whole capturing a goat herder aspect one bit. Mostly because it smacks of being an unoriginal ripoff of the details of an SAS mission in Iraq. Except the circumstances of the SAS were far different, they were truly behind enemy lines against a standing military, and fast extraction was not as much of an option, and made sense. I can not believe that a SEAL team in Afghanistan would really have the same problems, nor do I believe they would not have an existing plan for such a situation. Let us assume that the radios were jammed due to the environment and that the SEALs encountered a farmer. There is no reason not to bind the farmer's hands and make them walk up the mountain until the SEALS were able to signal for extraction, at which point they cut the farmer free. US forces have experience making POWs march, especially one which wouldn't put up a fight because he'd be freed at the end. I thought of that shit in like two seconds.
>>
>>30072744
>There was no heroic shootout or leap off of a clip with Marky Mark bouncing like a rag doll for 50 feet and living.
Surely they tumble down in a clumsy way and the movie shows that at some stages. Then it adds some big jumps and stunts.
>>
>>30072915
>They came in and disregarded the lay of the land information the marines had, and they disregarded how the marines did their missions.
OP here. I agree the movie does not highlight this aspect of "we're taking you from X to Y because we need men at Y, but we don't have time for niceties and long planning".
>All this did was 100% assure that the insurgents knew they were out there somewhere.
So people were already out there searching for them. Basically you telling me they lost initiative from the moment they left the helicopter.
>I believe that they either failed to load, or loaded the wrong encryption on their radios, causing them to have trouble communicating back to their command.
This I don't get. I'll try to put it bluntly: if all those Talibans were supposed to be goat fuckers, why bother with encryption in first place? I mean, you send people with overkill gear for a fucking reckon mission and then it turns out they have zero secure means to communicate with the base. I mean: not even an unencrypted but dedicated radio channel; nothing. Not even one of their portable PCs connecting to the fucking satellite. I cannot believe, and I agree with you, that with all such technology it was impossible to communicate properly.
> nor do I believe they would not have an existing plan for such a situation. [...] I thought of that shit in like two seconds.
You are fucking right. There were so many options on the table. Plus I guess it's not the first time the military encounters civilians while on OP.

Maybe true story is that they *saw* some people on the crest, and they *dismissed* them as goat herder while in fact it was the head of the Talibans' patrol.

Another version of the story is that maybe these dudes' mission will never be 100% unclassified.

E.g. it is said they were there to arrest Mr X. Maybe they were there to kill.

Actually, the quarrel about the "POW vote" is evidence of how little transparency this story has.
>>
>>30073021
>This I don't get. I'll try to put it bluntly: if all those Talibans were supposed to be goat fuckers, why bother with encryption in first place? I mean, you send people with overkill gear for a fucking reckon mission and then it turns out they have zero secure means to communicate with the base. I mean: not even an unencrypted but dedicated radio channel; nothing. Not even one of their portable PCs connecting to the fucking satellite. I cannot believe, and I agree with you, that with all such technology it was impossible to communicate properly.

You're not military, so I think you misunderstand me about the radios.

It is absolutely normal to use encryption on radios. Every unit in the military, from line grunts to SEALs does it. The encryption is rolled over once a week. Everybody does it on the same day and everybody every week gets the same encryption for that week. It is not unique to SEALs.

This is done because without, radios could be listened in on. Also, captured radios could be used against the US. With updating encryption, this reduces that threat.

Sometimes, people will forget to update their commo on the day it needs to be done. Normally this means that you have one idiot in a convoy who can't talk or one squad leader in a platoon who can't talk to the platoon. Stupid, but not a deal breaker.

I believe this whole SEAL team may have come off the previous mission and onto the next mission, all being so tired and complacent as to forget to update their commo. This means the only way to communicate is for somebody on base to realize what happened and to reload old encryption on the base radio to allow commo.
>>
>>30072915
they didnt bring the right kind of radio, to save a few pounds
>>
seconds turn into minutes, minutes hours.. hours days.
>>
>>30072828
Yeah, you don't land the single loudest helicopter in your inventory within 7km of the target and not expect people to be out looking for you.

You also don't have your QRF come pick you up at the same LZ the enemy already knows about because they'll ambush the QRF and shoot them in the dick with RPGs.
>>
>Marky Mark falling down a mountain for an hour.
>>
>>30072395
Lone Survivor TLDR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2_5j09mX6g&t=0m17s
>>
>>30072416
>>30072416

This was the Uzbin Valley Ambush on French ISAF.
>>
>>30073327
Skip to 38 minutes
>>
>>30073336

Once again; It clearly shows the Uzbin Valley Ambush. The part later on is a crashed heli ofcourse but that's creative editing.

> When the first elements of Carmin 2 were approximately 50 metres from the peak at around 15:30, the group of fifty waiting militants launched their attack, quickly killing the squadron's deputy leader, the radio operator and the Afghan interpreter with Dragunov, AK-47 and RPG-7 fire. Penon was struck by a bullet in the leg while tending the wounded, and killed by a second bullet as Marsouin Noël Livrelli attempted to come to his rescue

Start reading up there. I haven't seen any Red Wings footage, but immediately recognize Uzbin's.
>>
>>30073585
I know you dense fucker. That's why I said skip to around 38 minutes. It's the Uzbin ambush, an attack that looks like an ISAF OP (maybe Wanat), and then at the end is about 5 minutes of shaky bullshit that is Red Wings, followed by them going through the crash wreckage and showing off the radio and SAPI they took off of one of the SEALs, while one of them is wearing their headset.
>>
>>30072915

>They inserted way to close to be stealthy, and they had helicopters doing dummy landings all over the area in an effort to confuse the insurgents of their location. All this did was 100% assure that the insurgents knew they were out there somewhere.

The false landings thing is something that originated in the Vietnam War and was used from time to time by MACV-SOG recon teams. This is not a new tactic. It has occasionally been used by other US SOF units even in the past decade. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, just like any other tactic.

>This is speculation, but I believe that their "bad communications" were not due to bad luck. That just doesn't happen, especially on all 4 radios. I believe that they either failed to load, or loaded the wrong encryption on their radios, causing them to have trouble communicating back to their command. Further, I believe that this happened because their command had quickly taken them off of one mission and pushed them into this mission, not allowing them enough time to rest and check their gear, which may well have caused this to be missed.

If you're on the wrong side of a mountain and you have no line of sight to your command and only team level radios and a satphone, it's not surprising that all four radios wouldn't reach. May or may not have anything to do with the encryption.
>>
>>30073721
>This is not a new tactic. It has occasionally been used by other US SOF units even in the past decade. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, just like any other tactic.

No one said it was a new tactic. It was the wrong tactic. The only reason they didn't go with the original plan of inserting 20km away was because they didn't want to walk that far.

As far as the radios, you're right. Taking team level radios was stupid but they wanted to save weight.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.