[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Long range rifle?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: Ass_hunt.jpg (82 KB, 450x636) Image search: [Google]
Ass_hunt.jpg
82 KB, 450x636
Can anyone recommend a decent, relatively budget long range rifle? I'm looking more for manufacturers, I really don't know where to start. But if someone can point me in the right direction, I'll go try out a few at a range or gun store.

Turned 18 and want to go from nogunz to funs. I though I might enjoy precision shooting rather than an assault rifle, shotgun, etc. I figure it's decent on a range, I have knives for home protection, and I may try my hand at hunting soon, kinda always interested me.

>pic not related
>>
>>30071507
Try reading the fucking sticky and then killing yourself
>>
>>30071532
wow, really? I didn't even think of that.

yeah I read it fag. they recommended a few fucking .22s. I know I'll need to try everything out on my own, I'm looking for help on where to start research. thanks tho.
>>
Ruger Precision Rifle
Remington 700
Tikka T3 Lite
Savage 110
>>
>>30071555
Thanks, I'll check these out.
>>
>>30071555
Nice trips. I'm trying hard to get a rpr in 6.5 but they are unicorns for some stupid reason.
>>
>>30071507
savage axis
>>
>>30071555

Not OP, but arent remingtons super shitty now, or did they resolve their problems?

>>30071507

OP, I own the tikka and savage 110, both are great options and are a decent entry point to long range stuff.

Since you are nogunz now, go with .300 win mag or .308. The ammo is cheap and readily available, which is good for learning with. I made the mistake of buying my first precision gun in .338lm. It really slowed down the learning process because ammo is scarce and about $6 a round.
>>
>>30072857

i'd stick with .308. less recoil and widely available for reasonable prices. factory match ammo is about $1/round now so it's not too henious. if you've got a 100 yard only range, you might even consider a .223.

some Remingtons are good, some aren't. it's kinda a grab bag. a new trigger and a new firing pin/bolt shroud go a long way.
>>
>>30072857
Issue with remington 700s was that turning the safety on or off could cause the weapon to fire. I believe they fixed this.

>>30071507
>assault rifle
I can just about guarantee you don't have the money to buy one. Now if you meant a rifle like an AR-15 or AK variant, then you're a stupid shit. Learn the lingo first kiddo.
>>
>>30072964
>>30072878

Thanks for the info.

I agree with the .308 starting caliber OP
>>
>>30072964
I can't afford an assault rifle (anything decent) and that's why I wasn't asking for one. these rifles mentioned so far are pretty damn cheap for what you get, as far as I can tell.

also, I was planning on sticking with .308. anything I've checked out has the option, and it's not expensive. I was just wondering if it's reasonable to hunt medium game with .308?
>>
>>30074142
Serbu arms .50 BMG
>>
>>30074142
.308 is excellent for just about anything in North America that isn't dangerous or exotic. You can't really go wrong with that caliber.

I think Savage is making the best rifles for the price at the moment. I haven't shot one but I've been very impressed by the quality and hear very good things about the accuracy.

Tikka's also have an excellent reputation.
>>30072964
Yeah, Remington fixed their triggers some time ago. If you get a used one, check to see if your serial number is subject to the recall, IIRC they'll fix it and ship it both ways for free.
>>
>>30074201
I'm gonna go ahead and pass on this one. way too much gun and price. thanks for the tip tho mang
>>
>>30074234
thanks. yeah, biggest thing would probably be deer, so I'm not chasing half-ton bears around.

of all the manufacturers and weapons I looked at, savage was probably my favorite, especially at the price. like $400 street for the axis and wood stock
>>
>>30074261
skip the axis and go for the 110.
>>
>>30074142

my relatively inexpensive bolt action rifle cost me about $2600 for (all used and acquired off of forums) action, a new stock, and glass. none of my AR's cost more than $1200 for all-new (or almost all-new) components.
>>
>>30074308
that's not a "relatively inexpensive" bolt action.

That's expensive. It might have been a good deal. It's not top-shelf expensive, but considering that 99% of all bolt actions are below $1200, it's relatively expensive.
>>
>>30074279
is it called the 10/110 for some reason? that's all that comes up
>>
>>30074348

for what i was building, yeah it's cheap.

an AI AE Mk II which came out around the same time as my rifle cost $3.3k, and doesn't come with glass. a GAP rifle is $4k+. so yeah, my rifle (Remington 700 5R .308 in an AICS 1.5 stock with IOR Valdada glass) that was about $2k for the base rifle build is cheap.
>>
>>30074361
Yes
>>
>>30074375
>For what I was building

Well what you were building wasn't a budget long range shooter was it?
>>
Get an AR-10 and trick it out for precision.

That way if you want a battle rifle or get tired of it one day you'll have experience with ARs and a .30 cal platform you can mod.
>>
>>30074562

i was, honestly.

i got a used AICS instead of a Manners or McMillan so i skipped bedding or bottom metal and inletting the stock

the 700 5R is considered one of the best factory starter rifles due to the barrel. mine came with a bedded Nightforce sight base. the action was pretty much standard, and i had the bolt knob extended by a local guy looking to getting into bolt knobs.

the IOR Valdada is notorious for being relatively fragile compared to a $2k+ Schmidt & Bender or US Optics or Hendsoldt or Premier Reticules.

i tuned an old-style 700 trigger i bought for $50 from a forum instead of buying a Jewell or a CG Xtreme or something.

the only thing that wasn't used off of a forum was my bipod. i got a Harris BRM-S, and even then i didn't get the KMW Pod Loc - i got the T-nuts.com cheapo special instead.

long range precision rifles are an expensive game, and putting together a competent rig for $2800 is not that bad.
>>
>>30074348
this is correct, my $700 savage plus my $500 optic get sub-moa groups (savage model 10 FCP-sr), and with a 24-inch free floated barrel I bet it shoots farther than >>30074308 's expensive setup
>>
>>30075344
okay maybe I am wrong, >>30074791 clearly knows his shit, I doubt I shoot farther than him (I push 1000m)
>>
A glorious Mosin Nagant is all you need.
They usually go for $200-$250 these days.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.