[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me or does becoming a Navy aviator seems like a surprisingly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: USMC_FA-18_Hornet.jpg (581 KB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
USMC_FA-18_Hornet.jpg
581 KB, 2400x1600
Is it just me or does becoming a Navy aviator seems like a surprisingly attainable goal considering that these guys are put in charge of XX million dollar equipment and where the slightest mistake can kill you and many others?

I mean given that you can get a decent score on the ASTB, your flight physical checks out and you're able to shuffle through Navy OCS and be willing to hit the books in flight school, it seems like you can pretty much assure yourself a seat in a cockpit? I also heard they really don't like having to wash people out of flight school because they invest so much money in them.
>>
>>30067911

I don't anybody here actually knows unless you get lucky and Hornet-Bro or Carrier-Bro shows up.
>>
>>30067911
Yeah, they don't wash you out completely, you go to navigator school or such. Same in the af, some of the biggest pieces of shit are washout pilots still doing cockpit jobs.
>>
>>30067911

With the Navy and USMC (not sure about Army rotor) you sign an air contract prior to going to OCS that buys you a ticket to P'cola no matter what.
>>
>>30067939

Navigator as in you get to be the guy who rides bitch? Still seems like a pretty sick job even though you don't get to touch the stick.
>>
>>30067911

It's reallllly not that hard, but there's a lot of luck involved.

For me it was College (PRK) --> USMC OCS (Flight Surgeon/medical qual) --> TBS (don't get hurt or injured or do anything dumb, med quals again for some) --> IFS (although they've prob phased it out, I remember hearing something about that a few years ago?) --> API

If you're reasonably motivated, in good physical shape and not prone to injury you're gold. Just don't get injured and develop a backbone and defend yourself when some doc out there mentions that some BS chest x-ray they did on you disqualifies you.
>>
>>30068009

there's a stick in the back of my F-15E.
>>
>>30068009
Every two seater has doubled controls in case the pilot gets incapacitated for some reason. So navigators have pilot training too.
>>
>>30069702

nope. the Navy/USMC are big on "one fighter, one pilot" so only some RAG Hornets/Super Bugs have sticks.
>>
>>30067939
>some of the biggest pieces of shit are washout pilots still doing cockpit jobs.
That's a shame, but I suppose I can't really say I'm surprised.
>>30068009
It is, but if you were that close to being a fighter pilot then got cucked out of it, you'd be salty too.
>>30069702
>Every two seater has doubled controls
Not true. Plenty of two-seaters have dedicated missionized cockpits which forgo dual controls in favor of more comprehensive crew systems and controls. Take the Growler, for example - it has TWO sticks in the back, but they're for controlling weapons, sensors and systems only, and there are comm switches where the rudder pedals would be. Same deal for some F/A-18Fs.
>>
>>30069884

the F-15E has the hand controllers and a stick and throttle in the back. the HOTAS isn't as good (you can't talk on Radio 3 when you're on the stick and rudder) and you can't shoot the gun or any air to air missile. but you can drop bombs.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.