[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lead Poisoning Precautions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: whathaveidone.gif (878 KB, 415x216) Image search: [Google]
whathaveidone.gif
878 KB, 415x216
I've always known about lead poisoning but have only recently discovered how much worse it is for children and really- how little it actually takes to do damage to most people
> Recently convinced friend with newborn to get a gun
> mfw I'm the reason his child may develop developmental disorders
> mfw I smoke at the range all the time with filthy unwashed lead hands
> mfw the gf who I recently converted to progun also smokes at the range
> mfw I wear range clothing around the house all the time
> mfw I finger fuck my filthy guns and then masturbate vigorously
> tfw you realize why people that grew up around guns have a higher tendency to be.... special

Has the damage been done /k/? Do you all actually strip off all your clothes in the garage to decontaminate after a range trip and wear the same clothes every time you go to the range?
>>
>>30059891
electrical engineers touch lead solder all day and they're still smarter than you, I wouldn't worry about it
>>
>>30059891
Don't stick un-jacketed bullets in your nose, mouth, or butt.

You'll be fine.
>>
File: lead.jpg (41 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
lead.jpg
41 KB, 480x360
>>30059914
I actually was an electrical engineer... and then I started shooting and turned into a software developer. Oh god its happening.
>>
>>30059891

You will never absorb enough lead coating through your skin to develop lead poisoning. Anyone claiming otherwise is trying to cover for the fact that they ate paint chips as a child. Guns are dangerous in plenty of ways but lead poisoning is not one of them.
>>
>>30059915
ive used .45 acp non-jacketed as ear plugs, will i get el cancer.
>>
>>30059915
>>30059945

>not knowing most shooter exposure to lead is from inhaling or ingesting lead styphnate combustion products released and sprayed throughout the area when the primer detonates
>>
>>30059984
Probably not but you have huge fucking ears.
>>
>>30059984
only if your hand is bigger than your face or you go to a treatment facility in chechnya
>>
>>30059988
Correct- the whole Flint water crisis has me believing ingested lead isn't that big of a deal as you just shit/piss it out before absorbing most of it. Hell, who knows how long those people had been drinking that water for.
>>
>>30059984
meme earplugs,
they're just all show you have to get 9mm to really stop all the sound effictively
>>
>>30059891
bring some wet wipes to the range if there is no place to wash your hands. We like to grill and get a beer in the noon break between shooting rifles and pistols So thats what i bring
>>
>>30059928
>that pic
>wait, do I...
>I shit, eat and clot fine
>Oh, I'm just an asshole
Fug.
>>
>>30059945
You don't "develop lead poisoning", but it does have serious mental effects on you from lead exposure
>>
>>30059891
Ehh there's also a correlation between gun ownership and inbred rednecks with low IQs unfortunately
If we could separate smart gun owners from them there would be no correlation
>>
>>30059891
Cause and effect.

How do we know that children with low IQs don't tend to chew on the paintwork more often than smarter ones?
>>
>>30059928
This would have me freaked out if it wasnt for the fact the ones that apply to me have always applied to me. I am in general an irritable aggressive insomniac.
>>
>>30059914
lead poisoning is not that bad when you're grown up. But it's really bad if you're growing.
>>
>>30059891
Stop smoking at the range, use D-lead wipes or soap after shooting, wash your outwear when you get home, wipe the soles of your shoes when you leave the range or have shoes for range use only. Use nitrile gloves when cleaning your guns. Use a plastic drop sheet or a dedicated gun cleaning area. If you reload, do all your tumbling outside.

Take Vitamin C.

If you shoot indoors, only shoot at places with good ventilation. Only shoot ammo where the lead base of the bullet is covered, not exposed (some of the lead will vaporize when the gun is fired, otherwise). Most primers have lead styphnate in them- see if you can get some ammo with non-toxic primers for indoor range use.

You don't have to be paranoid- a few simple steps will solve most of the problems, and you'll be able to enjoy shooting for years to come.
>>
>>30065326
Lead-free primers are barely-functional garbage, but other than that this is good advice.

Would setting up a fume hood over the tumbler be an acceptable substitute to doing it outside?
>>
>>30066012
Sure but that is a bit more work than just getting an extension cord.
>>
>>30066083
It's a bit more work, but it means not having to worry about the weather or somebody stealing it. Seems like a reasonable trade-off.
>>
>>30066012
>Lead-free primers are barely-functional garbage

The cheap ones are, but the SINTOX stuff from RUAG is good (but be prepared to pay). Nothing more than pistol calibers, of course. At any rate, if OP just makes sure that there's decent ventilation at the indoor range and sticks with the other stuff he should be alright.
>>
>>30066422
Are those available as a reloading component?
>>
>>30060020
that was a really long shot.. and probably opposite of the truth, if .45 fits in his ear, then .38 would be tooooo small... god fucking memelords
>>
>>30066459
I've only ever seen them in finished ammo. Maybe in Europe/Switzerland it's different.
>>
>>30065326
>primers have lead styphnate in them
>tfw have been shooting popcorn kernels loaded into a primer only shells at boxes in my room for the past week
Right... I should stop that.
>>
>>30066509
You should be fine as long as you haven't been eating the popcorn afterwards.
>>
>>30066509
When you have some time, wipe down the hard surfaces nearby where dust or lead could settle. It's probably nothing major, but a quick clean up will help.

Places like Home Depot (or Amazon) sell lead test kits that are cheap and simple to use. You can check to see if any areas are contaminated.
>>
>>30059891
I eat at the range
>>
>>30066509
>>30066509
Pics anon, deliver to us, this is hilarious
>>
>>30059928
I mean... in adults it sounds like it has the same symptoms of stress, IBS, IBD, CD, etc.
>>
>>30060014
it's absorbed better if there is high fat in the diet, which is true in the case of people that frequently eat fast food or other fried foods.
>>
File: 20160525_212652.jpg (563 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160525_212652.jpg
563 KB, 2048x1152
>>30066704
Sorry for late pic.
>>
>>30067690
The wad actually gets caught inside the integral choke and makes a captive piston so it's actually very quiet, leads to the increased fouling from the trapped gas, I guess.

Got bored with a project shotgun and now my room probably needs decontamination.
>>
>>30067690
This is exactly why I can't leave this place, there's always someone doing crazy shit with something.
>>
File: 448.jpg (18 KB, 373x344) Image search: [Google]
448.jpg
18 KB, 373x344
>>30067783
You absolute madman
>>
>>30067783
I'd report you to the ATF for manufacturing unregistered silencers, but then your dog would get contaminated with lead, too.
>>
File: 1460507782894.jpg (48 KB, 599x536) Image search: [Google]
1460507782894.jpg
48 KB, 599x536
>>30067881
>>
>>30060014
Water treatment operator here. The lead levels in particular homes in Flint are not exactly good for adults, but the concern is much greater for the impact on children's development. The actual impact is hard to measure.
>>
Don't shoot airguns with lead pellets around your home.
>>
>>30067881
>every squib load from a shotgun is now a federal crime
fug
>>
I know someone who ate lead paint as a child and now gets $50k every 4 months as part of a legal settlement.

She isn't very bright.
>>
>>30068017
If I new being retarded could make 150k annually, I would have started a lot earlier.
>>
>>30059928
If your gums start turning blue, you're fucked. Til then you're fine. Til I was old enough to be hasguns, I used pellet guns. Opening a 250 count wadcutter box of Daisy would usually result in a small cloud of lead dust and my fingers looked like I colored them with a pencil afterward. Just wash your hands after.
>>
>>30061629
There's no cure.
>>
>>30066459
>Many of our users have asked: “Where can one get RWS primers?” Unfortunately, RWS primers have not been directly imported into the USA for at least two years, and there are no plans to resume importation. None of the major vendors we polled, including Graf & Sons, MidSouth, MidwayUSA, and Natchez Shooters Supply, currently carry RWS primers.

>We discussed primer availability with Alan Newcombe, North American consultant for RUAG/RWS.

>Alan told us “The exchange rate and import duties are the problem. If RWS were to import primers right now, they’d have to cost $45-$50 per box of 1000. RUAG believes it could not sell sufficient quantities of primers at that price point, so there are no plans on the horizon to import RWS primers any time soon.”
>>
>>30069454
Damn shame but I guess it comes with the territory being the only manufacturer of a niche and expensive consumable that only a couple people care about.
>>
>>30059891
lead is actually good for you and this myth that it's bad is actually coverup to keep people sick.
>>
File: intellegence.jpg (10 KB, 548x412) Image search: [Google]
intellegence.jpg
10 KB, 548x412
>>30059891
A story of a guy who died of lead poisoning in his hometown.
Leadpipes through all of the house, plus he drank cup of water every morning - so you know the lead had time to dissolve in the water he chugged down every morning. He got like 50 years old.
Lead is nowhere as poisonous as you might think.
Don't be retarded and wash your hands.
>>
>>30059891
Incidental lead poisoning from shooting, among adults, is rare unless you spend 8 hours a day at an indoor range for weeks at a time.

Even so, I'd be happy if lead free ammo were the norm, the only issue would be getting someone to make lead free 22LR was wasn't shit.
>>
>>30070470
And there are tribes of people in the Amazon who can tolerate 50x the lethal dose of Cyanide to most everyone else, because all the lakes and rivers in the region are tainted with it

No reason to get careless with poisonous substances, plus why suffer through the side effects if you don't have to?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.