[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
US Army 19k
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 14
File: M1 Abrams.jpg (1 MB, 3010x1714) Image search: [Google]
M1 Abrams.jpg
1 MB, 3010x1714
So I enlisted into the Army DEP as a 19k, so I'll be in a tank. That was a year ago and I'll be heading off soon. Anyone in here that goes about in a tank? How is it? Should I bail and do something else? Maybe join the Marines. I wanted to be an 11x at first but they didn't have anymore openings for that but when I was offered the 19k I got excited. I have no plans of switching, I'm ecstatic for this job. But is it decent, or should I go elsewhere?
>>
>>30045298
If you are going to be a tanker then the Army is better than the USMC, the Army has the upgraded ones with working AC.
>>
Also I guess this thread shouldn't 100% be you guys advising me as to what to do and expect. Share stories in opinions guy, let's have a time. Soon enough if all goes the way they are now, I'll be one of you. Can't wait man.
>>
>>30045320
That's what I figured, I appreciate the input. The main reason why I would go Marines is because I was told that getting an Infantry job in the Marines is a breeze. I wouldn't mind being infantry, but I can't imagine that it's a nicer gig that Tanker.
>>
Infantry can be alright, but I was working with some tank dicks at one point and let me tell you, when you're walking in the fucking heat thinking you're gonna get shot and some guys are breezing guy in a moving fallout shelter, you think about what could have been.
>>
the insides of those things are cramped as shit and you'll be doing back breaking manual labor and never actually get to kill anyone. enjoy your GI bill afterwards though
>>
File: image.png (716 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
716 KB, 1136x640
>scored 99 on ASVAB
>only wanted to command a tank
>able to score 80%+ on PT test, /fit
>6'5"
>max height for tankers is 6'1"
>tfw only manlets can into 19k
>tfw I'll never be inside a tank

it hurts to live
>>
>>30045447
Agreed, I was scared for my life when I saw a bunch of goat fuckers with guns run behind a building, and I had absolutely no cover. But then a godsend in metal came by and fucked the building up, and whoever was in it or around it. I don't know how that would go nowadays, but back then you could get away with nearly anything. They had it made to some extent but like the guy above me said, it's cramped as fuck and those guys I watched blow up the building were the only guys I've seen get to kill anyone. But I didn't work with many tankers.
>>
>>30045487
That sucks man, but good god. A 99? You're a fucking genius. Good on you man.
>>
There was a guy in one of my college classes that was a Bradley crewman in the army around 2010 or so. Apparently, there was never any action during his entire deployment apart from like 1 thing at the very beginning.
>>
>>30045522
Thanks Senpai, Scored perfectly on the AFQT, and like 90-99 on everything else. I was told it was the best in the district and higher than anything the recruiters had seen in years, but I don't know how true that is. I still get calls from all the branches, but I don't really want to do anything but 19K
>>
>>30045550
Man I'd give you my future job (and manlet height) in a heartbeat. I got a 68 on my ASVAB. You're deserve this job more than I. I mean I didn't want to be 19k at first, and if they told me right now that I had to be an 11x instead, I'd feel nothing. That really sucks man. Hope there's something that'll interest you.
>>
Being a tank crewman is alright. You don't slog around all over the place and you are definitely a lot safer. There are draw backs of course, maintenance is a straight bitch,just wait till you throw track. In my experience, you'll never operate a tank in theater, the needs of the Corps sent us as provisional infantry to Iraq in 2009 which sucked balls.
>>
>>30045592
Don't get me wrong though, I might've worded it weird but I can't wait to be a 19k. I'm just saying it wouldn't be any skin off my sack if I do otherwise.
>>
>>30045592
myb you're just a retard tho
>>
>>30045487
witness

anon your only choice now is to build/buy/scrap your own tank and operate innadesert with your own rag-tag crew, shiny and chrome.
>>
>Marine Artillery stationed at Los Pulgas in Camp Pendelton
>Blisteringly hot Saturday
>No air conditioning in barracks because Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
>8:00 am and already to hot to sleep
>Figured I needed to get off base before some SNCO finds me and "needs help" with something
>Start stripping to head into shower and hear loud roar coming down the road
>Here random shouting and general mayhem
>Run outside in PT shorts and shower shoes
>Fucking Tankers were coming through are area down the MSR
>Lead Tank had popped smoke because douchebag tanker and started a grass fire
>Butter bar Arty LT running around having a shit fit
>Pretty sure butter bar pissed lead tank off
>Fucking tankers commence bombing anyone within range with plastic water bottles, Gatorade, and pretty much anything they can get their hands on
>Muzzle sweeping anyone in sight with their 120mm main gun
>Butter is screaming about respecting his authority
>No fucks given
>Laughed, stomped on fires (not much grass anyways), and dodged water bottles

Was offended at first, but what are going to do to a tank, and seeing the boot louie screaming and fist shaking was awesome. He made all sign statements on what we saw. I never heard if they did anything, I'm pretty sure they didn't.

Fuck Tankers, pretty funny shit, but fuck tankers
>>
File: M1A1Bridge.jpg (139 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
M1A1Bridge.jpg
139 KB, 640x480
>>30045723
topkek. what's a boot louie?
>>
>>30045773

LT just out of officer bootcamp. 90% are completely crazy but they get stuck with all of the weekend duty.

They usually do brilliant things like demand a salute from a combat vet First Sergeant, ignoring advice from Gunnys, and making any task 10 times more difficult than it needs to be (they learn from our sweat).
>>
>>30045831
>they learn from our sweat

kek sounds like a lot of bosses i've had. glad they didn't have control over any other part of my life though. welllll good luck. any more fun tanker stories?
>>
>>30045487
>max height is 6'1"

You sure? I've never found an official height limit and I've seen actual tankers who are above 6'1".
>>
>>30045973
Pretty certain, either 6'1" or 6'3", either way I'm way over it.
>>
>>30045973
>>30046170
Max height is 6'1", non-manlets need not apply.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/19k.htm
>>
Should've gone 19D instead.
Fucking tanker.
>>
>>30045447
I'm a tanker and I think the same thing when I see helicopters fly overhead FWIW. The circle of life.
>>
File: L55 is less accurate.png (13 KB, 670x509) Image search: [Google]
L55 is less accurate.png
13 KB, 670x509
>>30045298
Just so that you know, you are only going to deploy to Korea, Germany, or Kuwait. You will spend 9 months overseas training, 9 months of doing red-cycle tasks (funeral details, gate gaurd, opfor for the netherlands or whoever, other menial post clean up and operations shit), 9 months of mustering and training to go back to your personal hell, to repeat the cycle again. That will forever be your life until you either

>go recruiter
>SF, drill sergeant, or other special duty
>become super admin SFC and be an observer controller for training units
>be a statistic like everyone else and get out

This is going to be your life, as all HBCTs are enrolled in keeping the peace in the respectful regions. We had about 50 or so 19k's and half of them are getting out. Which means 2 things, all the smart people get out so the idiots stay behind and make army life suck. Secondly, there's little competition to make rank, and if you are smart and don't fuck up you can get E5 in 2.5 years if you try.

TLDR 19k has its pros and cons, its entirely dependent on your personality. You're not going to get brainwashed into being a different person. But your personal life will have to adjust to getting fucked by the green weenie. I miss hourly pay, sseeing family, taking vacation when I want, working set hours, and dealing with less politics in work, I am just not the army type so I am getting out of the 19k field.

All combat arms jobs are retarded, with infantry being the most retarded. /end ramble

if you have questions ask. Pic unrelated.
>>
>>30046266
scouts are usually less retarded when it comes to bending rules, and having fun. But the Abrams is a much better vehicle, and you don't have to share it. Also, you can't beat our style of living in field life, where life is much easier when you have your own personal super heater. Also everyone treats you like king, and the bitches love the title.

>>30045973
this

>everyone is comparing AQFT Scores
The only score that matters is the GT Score.
>>
>>30045298
19K fag here
If you end up getting stationed on Benning after basic like my unlucky ass did then I'll see you in the motorpool.
Pray to whatever diety you worship that they don't put you here.
Other than that just study the tanks statistics IE maximum fuel capacity for A1 and A2, and max main gun, .50, and 240 ranges and shit and you'll be alright.
>>
I don't think I have anymore questions, but thank you guys so much for the help. I greatly appreciate it, and I hope the best for you buddies.
>>
19K is sadly a dying MOS, prepare to do nothing but stupid fucking shit, and being rushed to do all your training. But when your actually shooting the tank and going down the lane, shit is tits man.
>>
Question for the current armor guys in here - how closely are your units following Ukraine? Are you guys getting passed back lessons learned to integrate into your training? I imagine there's a lot of good stuff to learn from that conflict considering its the first significant mechanized engagement since maybe... Georgia in 08?
>>
>>30046193
Yeah I've seen that page before, it's the only place I can find that states a height limit, not even the Army's own website has one.

Gonna go with there isn't one, or at the very least it's more than 6'1".
>>
12B>all
>>
>>30048059
Can't, too busy in SHARP and resilience classes
>>
File: Old King Tut.gif (1 MB, 207x207) Image search: [Google]
Old King Tut.gif
1 MB, 207x207
>>30045349
>I was told that getting an Infantry job in the Marines is a breeze.
>>
>>30048091
>Being a builder and having close to little or chance blowing things up.

>91F>all
>>
>>30048091
My nigga
>>
>>30048173
That's the navy. Seabees just build shit.
>>
File: IMG_20150802_074302.jpg (56 KB, 647x452) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150802_074302.jpg
56 KB, 647x452
This is now a treadhead thread, post sweet tanks and flame T-14 shills
>>
File: challychiefcent.jpg (60 KB, 750x425) Image search: [Google]
challychiefcent.jpg
60 KB, 750x425
>>
File: 1462545482463.jpg (3 MB, 3267x1838) Image search: [Google]
1462545482463.jpg
3 MB, 3267x1838
Hey anons, which M1 variant is this?
>>
>>30045349
you got lied to nigguh, its competitive and you will need to be prepared to wait another year in the DEP to go 0300. They have no shortage of high PFT recruits to take those slots.
>>
>>30047085
imo being a tank built by the lowest bidder seems a hell of a lot better than being in anything that flies built the the lowest bidder
>>
File: 1 mqaOaOe2AGJnoiduEqdu4w.jpg (158 KB, 1280x852) Image search: [Google]
1 mqaOaOe2AGJnoiduEqdu4w.jpg
158 KB, 1280x852
>>30045298

>I'll be in a tank.

If you're lucky, you could be like our 19Ks stuck in an MGS.
>>
>>30048317

M1A2 SEPv2 in Olive Drab.

Picture supposedly taken in Poland.
>>
>>30048700
>No AC
>propellant gas is circulated inside crew quarters.
>Unreliable auto-loader.
>Get ded by RPG-VL

What is this, 2008?
>>
>>30047370
>I miss hourly pay, sseeing family, taking vacation when I want, working set hours, and dealing with less politics in work, I am just not the army type so I am getting out of the 19k field.

Grass is always greener man. I have a cushy union job and even I don't have all those things. I'm not saying military life doesn't suck, just don't get your hopes up.
>>
>>30048317
The wet kind.
>>
File: soexcitedformission.jpg (82 KB, 450x721) Image search: [Google]
soexcitedformission.jpg
82 KB, 450x721
>>30045298
>so I'll be in a tank
Sure you will buddy.

>pic related is me as a 19K in a tank
>>
>>30045298
Hope you enjoy sitting in the motor pool doing nothing ya dumb faggot
>>
Foreign fag here, what is a 19K ?
>>
>>30050273
job code for an army tanker
as a 19K, don't you basically spend 88% of your time playing track mechanic?
>>
File: 1462537503674.jpg (13 KB, 332x332) Image search: [Google]
1462537503674.jpg
13 KB, 332x332
>>30048091
>not 89D
>>
File: 1454852034981.jpg (138 KB, 1075x603) Image search: [Google]
1454852034981.jpg
138 KB, 1075x603
>>30048317
the kind that RPG-29s love
>>
File: Sky-lined_tank.png (11 KB, 408x345) Image search: [Google]
Sky-lined_tank.png
11 KB, 408x345
>>30049498
I worked for 2 years at Waste Management. The pay was lower, but I was significantly happier. Another thing was people's ability to apply logic to situations. In the army its almost non existant, at WM we could tell the lead supervisor to fuck off, if something was retarded enough.

>>30050351
Not an S or M model.

>>30048700
Army is moving 19k out of the IBCTs and anyone else who has MGS's. I feel like the instituted the change, or are about to but any enlistment options to duty stations who have MGS's no longer show up for HRC for 19ks. Specifically places like Hawaii, Alaska, and Washington. Now it should be nothing but HBCTs.

>>30048091
Those types have the least camaraderie out of all the jobs listed so far. How many SHARP and Alcohol related offenses did your unit receive last fiscal year? Co-ed units ruin moral.
>but anon there's no female 12Bs yet
there's still super female pogs fucking shit up in BEB's and BSBs just by being there.
>>
>>30050351

It's OK, only 9mm
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.