[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is a .40 really a meme calibur? I'm on the fence between
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: freedomrings.jpg (171 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
freedomrings.jpg
171 KB, 720x960
is a .40 really a meme calibur? I'm on the fence between 9mm and .45, thought about the middle ground but i hear they're hard to get.

looking to get my first cc piece within the week, leaning towards glock or walther
>>
>>30037667
What the fuck is that dumb bitch doing with my flag
>>
>>30037667
get .357 sig instead
>>
>>30037667

There's very little difference between the terminal ballistics of the big three pistol calibers. I prefer 9mm for capacity but do you bruh.
>>
>>30037667
10mm best mm.
>>
If bank robbers and organized criminals are part of your threat model, then a .40 S&W is fine. But if you're not a cop and just a normal person looking for something to stop a crackhead with, 9mm is just fine.

Similarly, if Adam Lanza is all up in your grill, emptying a mag into a chest with 9mm vs .40 S&W will have the same result.
>>
>>30037667
>more snap
>less capacity
>more cost per round
>less variety of firearms
.40 doesnt do anything worth making it your choice.
>looking to get my first cc piece within the week, leaning towards glock or walther
Have any models in mind?
>>
>>30037667
My brain tells me 9mm, my heart tells me 45acp.

So I said fuck it and got a 327 fed. mag.
>>
>>30037667
I own handguns in 9mm, .40, .45, and 357. Guess what? They all shoot relatively the same. It's all about what you're comfortable with, bc end of the day they all perform.
>>
>>30037667
.45 is for all intensive purposes an obsolete round. It's so fucking slow there are accounts from ww2 when It's would deflect off of the soldiers heavy winter clothing. For cc, 9mm is the only reasonable option anyway.
>>
>>30037667

WHY THE FUCK IS THAT FLAG TOUCHING THE GROUND? WHY?
>>
>>30037828
>my flag
>>
>>30037667

Pretty much this >>30037905

.45 has bad tumbling issues and has been known to drop over 4 feet at the 60 yard point.

Some draft horses can outrun the round. It's shit.
>>
File: CommentPhotos.com_1407352155.jpg (49 KB, 269x260) Image search: [Google]
CommentPhotos.com_1407352155.jpg
49 KB, 269x260
>>30037881
Your head told you sense your heart told you romance.

>tfw you split the difference and went retarded
>>
>>30037874
>more snap

Limp wrist detected
>>
>>30037924
To be fair, you are probably right.

To be unfair, FUCK YOU I'MMA GROWN ASS MAN.
>>
>>30037944
Nah I only carry 500S&W because anything else is for limp wrists
>>
>>30037874
>>30037874
Was thinking about the glock 26 or 19(depending of the range test tomorrow)

and on the walther side, a pps or p99, maybe the p99c

If the 250$ cz82 is real, maybe that, just for the lulz

So far i feel like 9mm FTW. although i hear so many people saying something about o stopping power. fuck it tho, im just keeping myself safe
>>
>>30037955
It's cool.
I myself can hear the call of 10mm.
I know what it is to want something that makes little sense.
>>
>>30037667

Get a glock 23 and a 9mm barrel to switch out so you can have both. Oh, and a mag

People will say you need to change the springs, ejector, etc, but there's no need with this caliber and if you're just using it for the range. Use the native caliber for carry and any situation you need 100 percent reliability.
>>
>>30037667

the only reason to shoot .40 these days is to make Major in IPSC Standard/USPSA Limited
>>
>>30037894
Gonna need some sauce on that bullshit
>>
>>30038435
Those people are right, you need a different ejector too. If you want a .40 you can convert easily get a S&W.
>>
>>30037667
flag autists getting mad about flag touching based american soil. it almost like you don't like the LAND of the free.
>>
>>30037667
I'd pick either 9mm or .45

Opinions vary, but I think .40 recoil is especially annoying. I've shot thousands of rounds (did IPSC for a while) with it but I still shoot 9mm or even .44 or .357 mag better. If I shoot IPSC again I'm getting a .45. I think I'm eventually going to get a new 9mm barrel for my .40 hi-power.

9mm is a lot cheaper for practice.
9mm's usually have much higher magazine capacity. The increased power of the .40 doesn't matter if you can put multiple shots of 9mm on target faster.
However well you shoot .40, you will almost certainly shoot 9mm better.

Be sure to look into the S&W Shield too, anon. I keep hearing good things about them and they seem like nice guns.
>>
>>30037667
You have to consider the context of when it was designed; back the tail end of the 80's 9mm was weaker, but could have higher capacity while .45 was had less capacity, but hit harder. The Feds needed something to mitigate both weaknesses and settled on .40 as a decent compromise. The problem isn't that .40 is a bad round, it's that the other two have gotten better, 9mm is faster so it hits as hard while having better capacity, and .45 can be loaded hotter so that it hits harder than .40 ever could. Both of these mean that .40 is obsolete, except in certain niches like competition shooting.
>>
>>30037667
>my glorious countries flag touching the ground
Get. The. Fuck. Out.
>>
>>30037960
Nofuns detected
>>
>>30039756
Qq MOre
>>
>>30037667
>Buy a 9mm
>actually TRAIN fucking TRAIN and stop wasting your time milling about terminal ballistics

It's really that simple. It really is.
>>
>>30037667
>"hey let's take a sexy patriotic picture"
>"aren't flags supposed to not touch the ground?"
>"BUT BRO SHE'S TOPLESS HEHEHE"
>>
File: extendo revolver.png (720 KB, 942x1054) Image search: [Google]
extendo revolver.png
720 KB, 942x1054
>>30037874
Pretty much this.

.40 is just unnecessary. If you want a high round count in your magazine, go with a double stack magazine 9mm pistol like Glock 19 or 17(or pretty much any other modern 9mm). If you're worried about stopping power get 9mm hollow points. If you think 9mm isn't enough then go with a .45
>>
>>30037667
"The flag should not be used as "wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery", or for covering a speaker's desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general (exception for coffins). Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top."

Disrespectful cunt
>>
>>30041734
you're not a fucking unique flower protecting your unque flower shit. i didnt take that picture. but its just a piece of fabric on some piece of booty. go jack off to some traps, faggot
>>
>>30037667
>wrapping the flag around your ass and dragging it on the ground
Someone needs to tell Tits McGee here to kill herself
>>
>>30041734
tell that to all the fat cows out there with American flag stretch pants

what the fuck is wrong with people?
>>
>>30042885
>Just a piece of fabric

KYS my man, partially for disrespect, partially for being too dense to understand what a symbol is.
>>
>>30037866
10mm is the actual meme caliber. It's fucking dumb.
>>
>>30037894
>It's so fucking slow
There are different loads to it.

>185 gr (12 g) Bonded Defense 1,225 ft/s (373 m/s) 616 ft·lbf (835 J)
1225 feets per second is kinda fast and basically 9mm tier fast.
>>
>>30037667
Not really a middle ground. Either the 9mm or the .40 is much better than the .45.
>>
>>30037894
>Intensive purposes
>>
>>30039698
why wont .40 come up in thed middle ground then?
they make 9 better
they made 45 better
they will make 40 better?
>>
>>30037667
>flag touching the ground
>freedomrings.jpg
>patriautism giving me an actual headache
I bet that flag was made in China, just like her airsoft gun.

Also, just get a 9mm glawk fawty from JeDaquirius down the road
>and shove it up your ass
>>
>>30037866
This guy gets it.
>>
inb4
>A HURR DURR 10MM BEST MM
>GLASSWRISTS
>BITCHWRISTS
>MUH STOPPAN POWAH
>MUH FBI ABLOOBLOOBLOO

.40 is pretty good. Quit shitting up /k/ any time someone mentions it

>B-BUT MUH 10MM IS B-B-B-B-BETTER!

That may be true, but a .50 African Eliminator would fuck something up way worst than a 10mm. A 7.62x39 would fuck something up worse than a 10mm would. a .50 BMG would fuck something up worse than a 10mm would.

So get off your fucking high horses and stop shitting up every thread that someone wants to talk about a very common pistol caliber in. There are many guns chambered in this perfectly adequate round, and reasons one might want to buy one.
>>
>>30037894
>intensive purposes

It's actually quite nice of you to leave a tip-off like that. I wish all shitposters and b8rs would leave some clue like that. You get all the fun of watching the idiots respond, and people such as myself know not to respond seriously, which can get seriously tiring since shitposts without any care put into them are a diamond dozen these days.
>>
For all the fags shittalking .40 saying 9mm can do anything it can do with modern loads, maybe. But you fail to consider that standard .40 is doing what 9mm can do when it's pushing with all it's got. And rounds that push 9mm to those limits are more expensive than .40 and wear the gun out faster, which are basically the other two shittalking points they use as well. Soooo you turned your 9mm into a .40 by using special +P ammo, good job. Except you convinced the poor no guns bastard on /k/ to buy a 9mm thinking that using bulk target loads he bought at his local fuddmart will equal the performance of the .40. I am aware that there is not too much difference in the performance in the big 3, but there is a difference, and your information is misleading.

I don't know why everyone just feels the need to shittalk the .40. Buyer's remorse?

>t. someone who doesn't own a .40 but has shot his father's numerous times, and owns a .380 for carry, and has no real stake in the argument but whose blood just kinda boils when he sees this shit every other week and felt like he just had to say something
>>
>>30047718
One good reason to choose 9mm over .40 = more plentiful ammo.
No reasons to choose .45 over .40, period.
>>
>>30047637
Just curious, but why are you on /k/ when you don't own any guns?
>>
>>30047055
>make .40 better by loading it hotter
>.40 now overpenetrates and kills civilians at a greater rate

Real good idea Anon. No really.

Basically all calibers now are the same depending on load. Want a 9mm that expands and gets 18" penetration. But Gold dots in +p. Want less penetration? Buy literally any other hollow point and you'll meet the 12.5" minimum. Want significantly less capacity but slightly larger expansion? Buy a .45 and buy hot loads. Want less capacity AND less expansion? Buy a .40.

Want too much penetration, less expansion, and less capacity? Load .40 really hot.
>>
>>30047637
10mm>any other semi-auto for bear/moose defense

That's literally all its good for.
>>
>>30042885
>>>/tumblr/
>>
get a triple stack 40 because its the best all these fags tinking about 9mm on their high horse, get the fuck off it. 9mm round was made by HITLER, and do you even fucking know what he did?
>>
>>30037667
.40S&W offers you more recoil and expense than 9mm with no real advantage in stopping power.

10mm is undeniably a powerful defensive handgun cartridge, but is relatively rare and expensive/unavailable in a lot of markets.

.40S&W is what resulted when the FBI wanted to go up to 10mm but found that some of their agents couldn't handle the recoil so they got a "worst of both worlds" cartridge.
>>
I don't buy .40 being that much more powerful than 9mm, I'd rather have the extra 1 or 2 rounds in the mag.
>>
File: guess_who.gif (4 KB, 452x523) Image search: [Google]
guess_who.gif
4 KB, 452x523
>>30049022
>>
>>30037921
That's such bullshit, I can hit a target at 80 yards with my 1911 without holding over the target at all.
>>
>>30049022

well hitler killed a lotta people so I'd say as far as weapon technologies go I think I'd trust him
>>
>>30037854
dis
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.