[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would there be anything "wrong" with a military using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: toyota-hilux-military-1.jpg (265 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
toyota-hilux-military-1.jpg
265 KB, 1024x768
Would there be anything "wrong" with a military using massive amounts of commercial vehicles, ie SUVs in combat?

Obviously things like Seven Tons, VSRs and MRAPs are not replaceable with commercial vehicles, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible to use something like a Toyota Forerunner as an ambulance or even as a gun truck. Seems like it's working out fine for ISIL.
>>
Isil isnt fighting anyone with armor or legit anti armor capabilities
>>
>>30036043

This sort of thing is dictated entirely by budget. If that's the best you can afford, then you make due. If you can afford better options, then you use better options.
>>
Replacing soldiers is more expensive than replacing vehicle. Lighlty armored vehicles are a thing, but they need armored v-hulls to survive IED's.
Special forces often use commercial derived offroaders though.
>>
>>30036043
Military ambulances and guntrucks take small arms fire. An SUV is going to get shredded by one dude with an assault rifle.

You could start bolting on armor, but it's going to fuck up the suspension, drive train, and mileage. Then you'd need to redesign the whole vehicle to accommodate that armor.

Annnnndd....then you just relearned what the US learned a decade ago from using unarmored humvees in Iraq.
>>
>>30036090
I heard stories about GROM using captured nigger rigged technicals for their snatch and grab missions at night, hauling ass with NVGs, no headlights just tearing through the countryside
>>
File: 1298026394540.jpg (224 KB, 1523x1173) Image search: [Google]
1298026394540.jpg
224 KB, 1523x1173
>>30036043
Nothing, aside from the fact that they'd be useless for anything other than transport.
>>30036059
Ha. Hahaha. HAHAHA.
>>30036095
>Annnnndd....then you just relearned what the US learned a decade ago from using unarmored humvees in Iraq.
What a time that was.
>>
>>30036043
>Toyota Forerunner
No such vehicle. Prerunners have no fucking point (2WD that only LOOK 4WD), and 4Runners lack worldwide availability.
>>
If you have a SUV that's durable enough, it'd be ok. But most aren't. They're just for looking big, because Americans view it as safe (for them) and intimidating (for others).
>>
>>30036256
Toyota Hiluxes and Jeep Defenders are all you need.
>>
>>30036136
That and also SF often operates quickly in areas they're not even "supposed" to be. So no one is expecting them and laying bombs on the road.
Fast lightly bulletproofed offroaders you can just burn when it's all done have a lower logistical footprint than big and heavy mrap's, so it kinda makes sense.
>>
>>30036272
>jeep
>defender
Pls
>>
>>30036274
>Call of Duty: The Post
>>
File: big_19739757.jpg (247 KB, 1000x597) Image search: [Google]
big_19739757.jpg
247 KB, 1000x597
>>30036285
>jeep
It's 4am, I made a mistake.
>>
>>30036043
>>30036090
This is the key point - cost of replacing the soldier.

ISIL troops are probably worth more when broken down into chemicals vs when trained. I exaggerate, but the point is that a soldier from a G8 country is better trained and better equipped.

ISIL isn't dripping in money, they'll field what's at hand. And since they don't have dedicated manufacturing capability, they can't really make their own vehicles.

It's one of those situations where it's good that ISIL isn't facing a G8 nation in an old-modern war conventional conflict.

Some rando technical, armored or not, fully crewed won't last long against a coordinated G8 fireteam. A number of them will be shredded by any sort of G8 armored element.
>>
>>30036308
Also, god forbid they send a column anywhere a G8 nation has air superiority and CAS at hand.

I would laugh at an ISIL vic column being the sad victims of some A-10s. Talk about being in for a bad time.
>>
>>30036095
>>30036141
and the marines will relearn it with the growler
>>
>>30036043
F350s are a DOD favorite.
>>
File: 1432510745060.jpg (229 KB, 1200x814) Image search: [Google]
1432510745060.jpg
229 KB, 1200x814
>>30036043
only when combined with beards
>>
>>30036136
CAG, SEALS, other SF groups confirmed for using Tacomas. They definitely have their role in the SP OPS units but outside of that unless you're a 3rd world shithole there are better options
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.