[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's The End Of The World As We Know It And I Feel Fine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
Well, /k/, imagine the following scenario :
You are not a skilled gunsmith, everyone else in the world vanishes overnight, and you can have one firearm as well as an infinite amount of corresponding parts for it. You must however maintain it yourself.
What is the easiest firearm to headspace, build, maintain that you would choose and why ?
>>
>>30032943

Ruger 10/22
>>
>>30032943
KALASH KALASH KALASH for obvious reasons.
>>
>>30032943
Headspace maintain and/or build?
Some kind of open bolt SMG (headspace just means that you have the round feed properly, and all you have to do is oil it and clean the barrel. The trigger can be done in under five parts spring included, and it can be made with a welder and tube.)

If we really want to get picky though, a four winds shotgun is the ultimate end of the world gun for people who need to DIY their weapons.
>>
>>30032943
>You must however maintain it yourself.
What is the easiest firearm to headspace, build, maintain that you would choose and why ?
AR15 because every part is modular and you need a simple workbench to replace any part.
>>
If all the people are gone, I don't really have tons of need for a complicated rifle anymore. Czech mauser, I guess?
>>
>>30032943
Does it really matter when I can just assemble an infinite number of spare guns from the parts? I guess I would choose an AR because I heard they are easy to build. I'd choose an AK since I already know how to build them but apparently I've lost all my gunsmithing knowledge
>>
Glock or makarov. Highly modular, "idiot proof" design for the glock, and few moving parts on the makarov.

Maybe ar-15, same reasons as glock.
>>
>>30032943
I'd say a pump action shotgun. More specifically something that doesn't require pins and shit like an 870, so probably something of the Mossberg 500 pattern. As long as you have the parts and the instruction manual, it's not too hard to assemble a Mossberg 500 or replace any of its parts.

As far as there not being any more people, you would then only have to worry about animals n' shit. Why not choose what is probably the most versatile firearm? Birdshot for birds n' shit, buckshot for bucks n' shit, and slugs for most anything bigger. Seems like a no brainer to me.
>>
>>30032983
>I would choose an AR because I heard they are easy to build.

It does take a little know-how. If "You are not a skilled gunsmith..." means you don't know how to assemble an AR15 then you might be shit out of luck.
>>
>>30032960
would thay obvious reason be that you need a hydraulic press for the barrel or a rivet gun for the rivets?

or do you just still subscribe to the long since proven false meme of "muh reliable ak"?
>>
A full auto P90.

>lightweight
>easy to use indoors if need be to protect against animals
>large magazine protect against animals
>KISS incarnate

That thing is probably the most simple firearm I own or even know of. Even changing the barrel isn't that bad.

If it was in 10mm it would truly be perfect for OP's scenario.
>>
File: 1457521691364.jpg (474 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1457521691364.jpg
474 KB, 1000x1500
>>30032951
Would you put it in a bodykit, and if so, which one?

>>30032960
Changing the barrel on an AK is not exactly something an amateur would be able to do.

>>30032970
By headspacing I meant, for example if you also fired the weapon 10.000 times a day ( because obviously, nothing would be stopping you from doing so ) and you would even be required to change out parts such as barrel assemblies.

>>30032979
It's not about what you need, but about what you want.

>>30032997
Would you keep the Glock basic or turn it into something special ?

>>30033015
Maybe having to use a large shop press could be considered part of skilled gunsmithing and dropping in parts is considered possible.
>>
>>30033031
If you look at most 9mm open bolt SMGs, the barrel comes out by undoing the screw cap at the front of the gun.
Heads pacing is taken care of by the bolt slamming home.
Barrels are easy to make for them.
They're great in that sense.
>>
>>30033031
>Maybe having to use a large shop press could be considered part of skilled gunsmithing...

Maybe I'm just a retard that doesn't understand what you're trying to say, but what would you need a shop press for to assemble a mossberg 500? I thought the presumption was that "...you can have...an infinite amount of corresponding parts for it." meant that you didn't actually have to create any of the parts yourself. Why would a shop press be needed to assemble a 500?
>>
File: 1460972092833.jpg (170 KB, 960x635) Image search: [Google]
1460972092833.jpg
170 KB, 960x635
>>30033065
So any new barrel and BGC could be installed and it would be good to go without requiring any knowledge or special tools ?

If so, what SMG would you prefer ?

>>30033080
No I think I'm not being clear enough because English is not my native language.
I just wanted to point out that in this fantasy,
headspacing a firearm that requires a press to install and headspace the barrel would be considered "advanced gunsmithing" and in this scenario, the last person on this planet is an amateur.
And I am also curious as to what options there would be, for such a person, if using special tools is out of the question.

Also you don't have to make parts yourself, only safely install them.
>>
>>30033137
Any new barrel?
No.
But if spare parts were a thing, it would literally be a matter of unscrewing the end cap, pulling the barrel out (it's not pressed in, the cap's all that holds it in on the STEN and uzi) and putting the new one in and screwing it back on.

I personally would go with an Uzi because it just seems nicer, but Stens, in theory, can be made with access to a rudimentary machine shop and a junk yard.
>>
>>30033207
Do Uzi feed ramps wear out by the way ?
Or their trunnions for that matter ?
>>
>>30033221
I would assume they do eventually.
But before you get to that amount of shooting, you'll probably be dead.
>>
File: 1457894956459.jpg (2 MB, 2250x1500) Image search: [Google]
1457894956459.jpg
2 MB, 2250x1500
What would be some of the best Open bolt SMG's ?
>>
File: mg0Lj.jpg (186 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
mg0Lj.jpg
186 KB, 1024x768
a sbr ar15 mall ninja style
>>
I'd say Steyr AUG.
Not MSAR.
>>
Handgonne
Aka a metal tube with a hole in the back and a match
>>
>>30033025
>>30033031
valid point, but I'm not an amateur.
And lets be realistic.
In a real apocalyptic scenario, you wont be alive long enough to completely burn that barrel out of your wasr with 35,000+ rds
>>
>>30032943
Something with a mauser action and never worry about replacing parts ever
>>
>>30033137
>headspacing a firearm that requires a press to install and headspace the barrel would be considered "advanced gunsmithing" and in this scenario

Do you know how shotgun barrels work for most pump action shotguns?? They can be changed/swaped in less then a minute without any tools. The only think keeping the barrel in the receiver is a thumb tightened end cap.
>>
File: sex.jpg (168 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
sex.jpg
168 KB, 640x427
>>30032943
>You are not a skilled gunsmith
So are you excluding gunsmiths or posing the theory with the handicap of braindamage?
What tools do we have accsess to and how much time do we have?
I mean quickly I would go with a Sten but if I had the time and tools I would probably make something more elaborate like pic related.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.