[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kukris
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: kukri.jpg (132 KB, 600x226) Image search: [Google]
kukri.jpg
132 KB, 600x226
What are /k/'s thoughts on these?
>>
The katana of the knife world
>>
>>30028499
They're good for chopping bushes, as well as fighting a gang of train robbers.
>>
M E M E K N I F E
basically the shitty bastard sword of knifes. Not quite a machete and the blade shape makes precision knife work basically impossible. Just get a buck knife dude.
>>
>>30028499
Memes, not shitting you one bit. It's a machete with a curve and an extra $60 tacked on to it.
>>
It's used as a agricultural implement in the hills of Nepal, for chopping and other chores.

Those stating it as a Machete are pretty correct.
>>
In my experience it chopped through bushes and shit just fine but when faced with thicker branches and shit it was always very shallow bites and seemed to glance off a little, perhaps due to weight displacement/shape(?)

Although the inward curve towards the start of the blade itself made it nice and comfy for shaving bark off

Cool to have and a lot of fun to throw around but I'd still prefer a traditional machete, or even better a hatchet
>>
>>30028499
Memetastic.
>>
in my opinion they are 2nd only to katana's.

they are not crappy blades, mind you, but not exactly any more impressive than a machete or a hatchet.

the Gurkas obviously derive much use from them, and have in documented cases fucked some major shit up with them.

just like how marines have been documented stabbing the fuck out of people with K-BAR's and whatnot.

but people tend to grant these almost divine or supernatural powers to blades based off of anecdotes that are more a product of the individual's training and experience and the situation at hand than anything else.

so some Gurkha does something badass with a knife like humans have been doing on occasion for a few thousand years.

next thing ya know, these internet dweebs are talking in wide eyed tones of amazement like it was the knife that did it instead of the wielder.....

next thing ya know kukris are fucking capable of slaughtering company sized groups of men and cutting down trees with one swing because some Gurkha got some press coverage for cutting a bitch with one.

ya know, like how weebs credit katana's with I-beam slicing super powers because they saw it on an episode of bleach, or some survivalist claiming the K-BAR is the best knife ever made because they heard some half true story of a snake eater in Nam using one.

a knife is a sharp/pointy bit of metal with a handle. crediting one or another with incredible powers is exaggeration and wishful thinking, some sharp bits of metal have slightly different strengths and weaknesses than others but straight worshiping one over another is stupid.

the user and the scenario dictate what you want.

I call em meme tier. not because they suck, but because the fan base has seemingly granted the design superpowers.

a gurka with a kukris is probably pretty scary.

anyone else with one would be just as dangerous or get as much practical use with a machete or a hatchet.
>>
>>30028880
pshh... nothing personnel kid.
>>
>>30028658
>1.3-2lb
>13-20 in OAL
>same as machetes.
U wat m8
>>
>>30028499
they aren't as good as the are memed to be but i still would shit my pants if someone was swinging one at me.
>>
>>30028880
(same fagging cuz ran out of space)
>be at flea market
>buddy walks up with a pair of kukris
>oh hey, look, you found a set of kukris
>cue "most deadliest usefullest scariest knife in da whole world" fanboy speech
>complete with "Im actually deadlier with it than with a gun" and exaggerated claims about deadliness
>well I'm ccing a 9mm pistol, I bet I could shoot you with my pistol before you could stab me
>he shakes his head enthusiatically
>"Nuh uh, not if im *this* close"
>while dramtically brandishing knives he stands about 6 inches away from my face
>(My friend may be legitimately autistic)

Why I would let a kukris brandishing maniac get literally 6 inches away before drawing and firing is beyond me, but he has me there. IF he got that close without me seeing him and trying to run/fire at him I guess I'd be fucked.

in literally every other scenario aside from a complete ambush or maybe a few VERY specific scenario's that I cant think of cuz they are so extenuating, A gun will beat a knife any day.

otherwise we wouldn't have replaced bigass knives with bigass guns.
But some guys like to feel special and invent this big legend about blades that glorify and romanticize them because "anyone can use a gun" but it takes "a true expert warrior to use a knife."
which is usually spoken with utter disregard to the fact that said speaker is only very seldom a true warrior, or a true expert.

which they usually write off by making wild claims to the abilities to their particular favorite knife, because they may not be very good at using it, but its crazy legendary background makes up for any lack of skill or athletic ability.
>>
>>30028880
Except that a kukri is going to out chop a machete because it weighs so much more, granted it has a reach/leverage disadvantage which is why machetes outclass them in light brush clearing.

A hatchet will out chop a kukri in the same weight class but do around the same or worse comparing length. Similarly as a weapon the kukri is more versatile but heavier for the amount of leverage.

Kukri seem in my experience to require more sharpness to work and are the best thing for delimbing small tree limbs.

It's a meme knife but it isn't like fans like people on the HI board worship them or don't like other kinds of knife, they regularly buy other styles made in Nepal .
>>
>>30028944
Yeah I like swords and have done aikido and iaido but i carry a gun like a normie. Only way id use a sword for defense is if i didn't have time to get my gun. I DO like to keep daggers bayonets kukris etc at my desk and bedside for that reason cause i don't have kids and my gun is in a drawer quick safe.
>>
File: E1939_11_4b.jpg (66 KB, 750x290) Image search: [Google]
E1939_11_4b.jpg
66 KB, 750x290
Would rather have a good bowie, personally. but i understand why they're popular.
>>
>>30028880
where the fuck are you getting these pastas from?
>>
>>30029000
hey don't get me wrong, knives DO have their place, but if at all possible I would select a gun.

>be inna marines
>in southern california
>have girlfriend in LA
>girlfriend lives in a neighborhood known for basketball americans and muggings
>drive out to visit her on weekends
>guns are all home in montana, live in barracks so I cant have personal weapons anyways
>got a CFV (combat fighting knife, updated K-BAR design)
>into the jacket pocket/waistband it goes
>cuz I literally have no access to any other personal weapons
>one day its after dark and we are walking home
>Mexican fella begins following us home from a bar yelling drunkenly (I think I tripped and bumped into him in the bar, apparently this is a cue to initiate violent stalking behavior among thier kind)
>says hes gonna beat my ass and rape my girl
>probably just trying to be insulting and talk big, but im not gonna play that game
>Draw CFV
>"might as well settle this here, cuz you sure as fuck aint following us back to the apartment"
>he glances between me and the bigass knife several times before slurring something about crazy gringos and running off

I make no claims to my skill, I had the minimal training given to any marine, but its a bigass knife and he had no interest in dealing with it. he just wanted to run his mouth and realized I wasn't gonna have anything to do with it.

I could been just as well served by a big ass bowie knife bought from a truckstop for $15 that says "pakistan" on the side of it.

the bitch ended up stealing a shit load of my money to support her then secret drug habit and I called ICE on her to have her deported back to asia.

moral of the story is, don't date gooks, and use what you have access to. I would have been much more comfortable drawing my 9mm or .45 but I was in cali and all I had was a CFV, so I drew my CFV.

Fuck, I would even stoop to using a hipoint before drawing a knife if the option was there.
>>
>>30029050
His ass.
>>
>>30028499
memeknife loved by britcucks for some reason.
>>
>>30029101
its only known weaknesses are surrender bins and cheap Chinese souvenir-tier knockoff manufacturers.
>>
File: Kukri.jpg (52 KB, 550x375) Image search: [Google]
Kukri.jpg
52 KB, 550x375
i like mine i mainly use it for trimming palm fronds but i does work well doing medium to large wood prep and roo executing
>>
File: IMG_3350.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3350.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
There was a downed tree in my way. I was like "Get the fuck out of my way downed tree". I had, had enough. I'm sick and tired of these lazy welfare fucks getting in my way. Then i remembered I CC a Kukri. Take that Bernie Bro!!!
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.