[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would a soldier of antiquity fare against a modern one, if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1330934546468.jpg (286 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1330934546468.jpg
286 KB, 1024x768
How would a soldier of antiquity fare against a modern one, if the modern soldier didn't have firearms? Would modern infantry training and tactics let a 11B beat a greek hoplite, assuming the hoplite was an average soldier of their day and armed with obsolete equipment?
>>
>>30027915
I don't understand a word of what you're saying.
>if the modern soldier didn't have firearms

Actual soldiers of armies way back when were actual muscle. If you took soem 11b and gave him the same equipment as a hoplite he'd get wrecked.
>>
>>30027993
weren't the average soldiers of the ancient times usually undersized? The average human height back then was like 4'6"
>>
>m1 garand in ebr stock
my dick every time
>>
>>30027915
So, you want a weaponless 11b fighting a kitted out hoplite, or 1v1 "basics of CQC" fight? Because my money is on the 11b because he has better? training, but he may have slept through it or the hoplite may get lucky and fuck him up.
>>
File: Let me tell you about Carthage.jpg (878 KB, 986x1369) Image search: [Google]
Let me tell you about Carthage.jpg
878 KB, 986x1369
>be me US soldier
>go back in time
>end up at some battlefield lot of barbarians fighting it out with the romans
>dont have a weapon
>pick up a sweet looking sword and shield combo off an ornate dead guy
>selfdefence.jpg
>hear angry latin being shouted at me
>look at where its coming from
>some pint sized pussy faggot waving a spear at me
>nice hat dickhead
>take a basic fighting stance
>comegetsome.jpg
>angry little roman guy chucks spear
>pierces my shoulder
>die
>>
>>30027915
I think that a general or soldier back in time would be at a significant disadvantage. They don't know how to fight with the weapons of the past and their tactical and strategic knowledge tells upon their force being a modern force. They wouldn't know how to organize melee infantry, when cavalry should charge, etc. They might be better with logistical stuff.
>>
>>30028210
so are you saying fireteams and special forces wouldn't be applicable?
>>
>>30028051
Size really wouldn't matter. All these people ever did was physical shit if they were soldiers. Take a 20-30 year old guy who's done nothing but manual labor and training his while life and put him up against a guy who does weed and get shitfaced on the weekends and see who is better at fighting.
>>
>>30028257
no, modern small-unit tactics are heavily reliant on the weapons of the modern era. Without those weapons, tactics are fundamentally different by necessity.
>>
>>30028113
Eeeah depends, we talking the annual farmer hoplite or the professional Sparta hoplite?

Farmer Hoplite, the 11B has pretty good chance, Spartan on the other hand is trained in martial skills of combat.
>>
>>30028257
it's possible to have an effective small team because there's comms, because they have support that coordinate with them on the fly, because a modern firearm let's them engage fast and at different ranges. They got transportation by air/land/water and in very quick fashion that puts them into place and gets them the fuck out if need be.

What the fuck are you going to do with antiquity soldiers in a small team? Sure, they can conduct sabotage and reconnaissance and shit, but they don't really have any solid means to communicate and coordinate with the rest of their forces. They got horses and boats, which limit how they can get into and get out of places. What are you going to do? give them swords, spears and bows engage enemies in all situations?
>>
>>30027915
One on one?

The modern soldier, if we are going by average grunt to average hoplite, the modern guy has some pretty hefty advantages.

Mainly being taller, and substantially more muscular due to a flat out superior diet stemming all the way back to infant nutrition.

Not to mention all of the modern sports science that has been applied to even the most basic of US infantry troops.

>reach
>strength
>endurance
Etc.

The modern guy has a substantial advantage. Martial training helps a bit, but one of the key advantages of hoplite warfare is how simple it is.

Outside a hoplite formation, in a one on one, natural advantages are huge and the modern guy blows away those of antiquity.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.