[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey there, I'm interested in buying a gun. A longbarreled
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: rifle0006.jpg (60 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
rifle0006.jpg
60 KB, 640x480
Hey there, I'm interested in buying a gun. A longbarreled rifle if possible, no automatics. Something like this. Anyone know where in Texas I could buy one?
>>
>>30027004
literally anywhere.
>>
>>30027004
Don't buy a last ditch Arisaka unless you really want one.
>>
>>30027031
I wasn't meaning an Arisaka, I was meaning one of a similar type. My uncle owns a 98k that his dad used in the war, and it got me thinking about owning a bolt action too.
>>
>>30027045
So you want a military surplus rifle?
>>
>>30027045
I prefer the nice early Arisakas but the ammo is very expensive. Last ditches are 100% safe to shoot contrary to popular belief. Mauser 98's and other 8mm Mausers are cool and cost less to shoot. Enfields are there as well but the Mosin is going to be the least expensive both to buy and to shoot.
>>
>>30027064
Possible, if that's possible. Mostly, I would like something on the cheap side. My neighborhoods getting pretty dangerous, so I'd like something to protect me and my family.
The sword just isn't going to cut it.
>>
>>30027104
Go with a Mosin Nagant. I'd personally say with the M39, A finnish variant. They have them on classicfirearms.com for $350
>>
>>30027123
Whoa. Thats about a weeks pay.
But I'll do it. That sword just won't cut home defense anymore. Blade's cracked
>>
>>30027177
You had better know what you're doing if you want to use 7.62x54R for home defense
>>
>>30027004
You bring shame upon Texas for even needing to fucking ask. Fuck off back to Cali.
>>
>>30027104
>My neighborhoods getting pretty dangerous, so I'd like something to protect me and my family.
>Wanting a bolt-action for self-defense
You're nuts

>The sword just isn't going to cut it.
>even bringing up a sword in this context
My apologies, I was mistaken. You're retarded.
>>
>>30027213
I apologize, where I live there are no Gunstores and my father never thought we'd need to get one. But I beg to differ.
>>30027196
Mostly I intend to just scare the would-be burgler. Wouldn't you drop what you were doing if you saw a rifle pointed at you?
>>
>>30027228
What would you recommend then?
>>
>>30027238
>Wouldn't you drop what you were doing if you saw a rifle pointed at you?
No, I'd draw and fire. You're going to get yourself killed.
>>
>>30027288
Well dang. : /
Hmm. I may be overthinking this.
>>
>>30027252
Handgun, shotgun, or rifle. Youre insane if you think a bolt-action is practical for self-defense, but apparently you dont intend to even use it.

In which case I would recommend rearing up to appear as large as possible, wave your arms around and make loud noises. Should scare them off.
>>
>>30027004
Simpson LTD has great selection
>>
>>30027302
The problem with 54R is that it will most likely overpenetrate like a motherfucker. I don't know if they make home defense loads for that cartridge (I'm sure they could be made by a handloader tho)
>>
>>30027310
Hmm...
I just dont want to kill someone. Stupid as that sounds. If I could incapacitate them, I'd try it with the gun. But I guess that is a stupid idea.
>>30027332
Thank you.
>>30027338
Hmm. You do have a point. Maybe something smaller like what>>30027310
suggested?
>>
>>30027238
Relying on intimidation alone is a poor strategy to say the least.
>>
>>30027349
Bayonet them
>>
>>30027416
Guess your right. Maybe it's me? I'd freeze if I saw some long barrel staring at me.
>>30027425
No gun to bayonet with.
>>
>>30027433
Get a shotgun. A maverick 88 is cheap and reliable (about us $200, is a cheaper mossberg 500.). If your serious about guns get a .22 and practice.

If you need the cheapest shit possible that will work, a high point pistol or carbine. About $150

Learn the safety above all and have fun. Welcome to /k/
>>
File: rps20160521_211801.jpg (38 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
rps20160521_211801.jpg
38 KB, 480x360
>>30027558
Also boogerhook off bangswitch. ;)
>>
Imagine having a gunfight inside your house. Who would be more effective? You, with a 4 foot long bolt action rifle that holds 5 rounds, vs. Tyrone/Juan with a handgun with 3x the ammo capacity?

I have a mosin and even if I kept it loaded all the time I'd be scared shirtless if I had to rely on it for my safety if there was a dude with a handgun prowling around inside or outside my house. Even if he just had a knife or something, it wouldn't be terribly practical to be swinging around that long ass gun indoors, especially if I was just awoken and startled in the middle of the night.
>>
>>30027433

> Want a bolt gun for home defense
> Thinks a sword might be OK

A lot of your questions indicate you do not have enough experience with firearms to begin to make any sort of judgement. This is like an obese lady I saw at a dicks sporting goods once wanting a buy a 3.5" knife for 'self defense" because she "Wuzn't allowed' to carry".

Yes; A landwhale with a steak knife is more intimidating than your self defense idea.

>>30027433

So if someone breaks into your house with a gun, you're just going to freeze up? In that game, you freeze up, you die. The Dindu high on coke who is stealing whatever is in your house will just take your 'intimidating' gun after he shoots you with his stolen hi-point, rapes your SO and

You want a pistol. Revolver is OK, Semi-Auto is ideal, since unlike the movies you will NOT be able to shoot well under stress, and will have a hard time shooting center of mass, much less in the leg or whatever like you think you can. A mosin is AWFUL for CQB due to the size,

> Take defensive pistol / rifle course(s)
> Once you have tried shooting many different guns, buy the one which you find you like best, and train with it a lot

>>30027338

Yep

I really think a 9mm you can train with often would be a good place to start you off, something like an M&P 9 or even a glock, or hell even a cheap taurus to train with until you're more certain about your self defense goals.

> Cheap to shoot
> Low recoil
> Diverse ammo selection
> Used by militaries and cops everywhere for a reason
>>
>>30027624

Yeah seriously, even defensive carbines run on the big side for inside combat. Now, a beretta with a weapon light....
>>
>>30027349
>I just dont want to kill someone. Stupid as that sounds. If I could incapacitate them, I'd try it with the gun. But I guess that is a stupid idea.

thats how you get sued anon, shoot to kill, not injury.

budget AR-15 or glock for 500. or get those cheap pump action shotguns like the maverick 88 for like 250
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.