[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's this based on?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 13
File: matthias-develtere-11.jpg (291 KB, 1920x1191) Image search: [Google]
matthias-develtere-11.jpg
291 KB, 1920x1191
What's this based on?
>>
File: matthias-develtere-51.jpg (315 KB, 1920x1256) Image search: [Google]
matthias-develtere-51.jpg
315 KB, 1920x1256
>>30020318
>>
>>30020318
its a cross between an m8 grey hound and m4 sherman
>>
>>30020328
Not entirely sure, but wouldn't the wheels be redundant? I mean i know wheels are faster on road but the tanks are weighty.
>>
>>30020339
Huh, Yeah. That looks about right.
>>
>>30020318
M8 Greyhound
>>
>>30020340
Remember how the BT 7 worked with its road wheels being able to be used at higher speed on asphalt and dirt roads
>>
>>30020339
more like a M8 mixed with a staghound , and the tracks of a Churchill for good measure
>>
File: Schofield_1[1].jpg (46 KB, 550x285) Image search: [Google]
Schofield_1[1].jpg
46 KB, 550x285
>>30021403
And a bit of the Schofield tank for the idea.
>>
>>30020318
Can someone explain why this isn't a real thing? it looks pretty much like an modern armored car.

Although most tend to be turning into apc's
>>
>>30021864
Well, Getting the wheels to lock into place while not on roads would be the tricky bitch of a part.

Because that wrap around front wheel just doesn't look like it would unpack easy.

If you can fix that problem then it would be in production.
>>
File: EBR_14[1].jpg (42 KB, 700x318) Image search: [Google]
EBR_14[1].jpg
42 KB, 700x318
>>30021864
It's more effective to have some rows of retractable wheels like the soviet BRDMs or the french EBR, or variable pressure tires.
8 wheelers are great against mines, too.

>modern
Those designs may have aged pretty well, but WW2 was still 75 years ago.
>>
>>30022038
>>30021864
Well, Armored cars aren't really out of the fight yet.

They can carry pretty large cannons now that are around the same level as tanks.

Meaning you've got this nimble as fuck light car, killing your heavy tanks.
>>
>>30021864
>why this isn't a real thing

1. no ability to turn while using wheels, from the view given it appears that the front wheels are only held in place by either a shock suspension with no thought given to how to to actually facilitate them turning or via an attachment system to the tracked roller wheel's which in themselves do not turn thus its magic.

2. unless a roller wheel has some transmission running to it along with a drive gear wheel (on the tracks) there's no way to actually provide power to the rear wheels

3. the rear wheel well covers are needlessly complex considering a single large wheel cover would be simpler to construct and provide more storage area

4. storage area on the front would limit the tank's ability to traverse terrain

5. front glacis mounted machine gun would be utterly useless it would have like a 10-15 degree range of coverage due to its design. With that said the Hull gunner has no way of actually using the Front glacis machine gun because he has no periscope(like the driver) or ability to sight it without opening the his viewport due to its low mounting position
>>
File: 1463851614464[1].jpg (52 KB, 666x499) Image search: [Google]
1463851614464[1].jpg
52 KB, 666x499
>>30022510
I was talking about the M8 greyhound and T17 staghound, that the picture in OP's pic borrows heavily from.

Nonetheless, modern armoured cars with guns as tank destroyers is pretty hard to realise nowadays. I think we've reach the pinnacle of the concept with early cold wars jeeps with recoilless rifles like the L6 Wombat.

See pic for one of the fastest and lightest modern wheeled 120mm currently available. It's not without its uses, but its not really a nimble as fuck light car.

Armored cars with 90 or 105mm guns are pretty nice against infantry, buildings or light vehicles, but I'd look towards ATGMs for modern tank hunters.
>>
File: AMX-10RC_Baum%20(2)[1].jpg (42 KB, 655x411) Image search: [Google]
AMX-10RC_Baum%20(2)[1].jpg
42 KB, 655x411
>>30022763
>1. no ability to turn while using wheels
Not if you have independant steering for your wheels.
The AMX 10 RC works that way (like you can see in pic, the wheels are pretty locked in position on the uparmored models), and yet it's a pretty nimble armored vehicle.
>>
File: 10TP_8b.jpg (85 KB, 1000x544) Image search: [Google]
10TP_8b.jpg
85 KB, 1000x544
>>30020318
>>30020328
BT series tanks were designed with converting between tracks and road wheels in mind.

So probably BT tanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjWPgCkjgIQ
>>
>>30022763
>>30022900
Um. Question.

Like i'm no expert on tanks but they turn without turning the "wheels" so, wouldn't tires on a tank do the same?
>>
File: c1920x1080_31.jpg (83 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
c1920x1080_31.jpg
83 KB, 1920x1080
It's an M22 Locust, retards. Greyhound doesn't have that round of a turret, at the top.

It's just a souped-up M22 Locust.
>>
>>30022911
What steering mechanism do they use with the BT series?
I really want to build one as a DD. A man can dream, right?
>>
>>30026368
the locust doesn't have that wheel layout or that style of driver's bay
>>
File: 1377598806079.png (230 KB, 427x361) Image search: [Google]
1377598806079.png
230 KB, 427x361
So /k/. First time posting on this board but it's really the best place to ask.

So I'm 18, last year of highschool. I was previously thinking about going to university after a gap-year and getting a degree in Physics working towards Geophysics, because I'm smart enough to/get good enough marks and stuff, but lately ( past 4-5 months or so) I was thinking of joining the military.
What are the pros and cons of it? I've read up on it a bit, and I really think I'd like it better than sitting around studying shit that I'm only doing because I'm good at it.

Pic extremely unrelated
>>
>>30027081
Christ what the fuck this isn't where I wanted this
>>
>>30027081
Go to school. At least if you're an Officer when you go in you get dicked around by less people than if you were enlisted.
>>
>>30027097
Go toss it in military enlistment general, no worries
>>
>>30020318
>>30020328
I don't know, but I do want it
>>
>>30020318
That's a terrible place for your ruck
>>
File: zDRcjDc.jpg (415 KB, 1024x688) Image search: [Google]
zDRcjDc.jpg
415 KB, 1024x688
>>30026707
the tank itself wouldn't be a DD, but if you had a working cannon that would be one (as would be each individual shell)

honestly I'd rather put the cash towards importing a T-55/T-72/BMP-1/etc.
>>
>>30026962
I see that now,

Devs probably chopped the turret from the Locust an glued it to Greyhound Chassis
>>
>>30020318
Looks like a M8 Greyhound mostly with a BTR 60's front mixed with the commander's machinegun turret from an M3 Lee tank with some treads shoved in there.
>>
>>30028411
IT's like you don't want your bedroll covered in soot and possibly caught on fire.
>>
>>30020318
Question.

Those wheels all look independent, so are the front ones not getting power while the back are direct drive.
>>
>>30024020
>>30022900
same poster you replied to

The problem with that comparison is that the AMX 10 RC has only wheels and transmission components attached all 3 sets of wheels, the 3d render has a hybridized tread/ wheel attachment system that works on magic and here's why I say that.

The 3d render hase drive gears that are in the front. Notable by the spikes sticking through the tracks next to the gear basket, that's the tanks transmission system.

Even in the hypothetical system where the tires are locked to the roller wheels being rolled by the treads you're not going to get the same kinda speeds or torque out of the system to turn let alone go fast for these few reasons

1. roller wheels are spun because of friction/tension of the tracks and the suspension being able to transfer the weight to the roller wheels through the tracks to the ground

2. Unlike in 3dmax tracks have weight and individual suspension components have weight tolerance maximums, its just physically impossible for the 6 tires attached to roller wheel suspension systems to absorb what 12 would normally be doing and be able to apply enough tension on the tracks to maintain enough torque to power the wheels to turn the tank.

3. illustration for example of the roller wheels and what would happen in wheel mode
_________
\x * * x/
\ *o oo **/

the 6 suspension points on both sides would be overtaxed by the weight of the tank, those 6 points would be forced up away from the tracks and the tracks themselves would be able to sag further away from those roller wheels.

4. Spinning tracks that have insufficient tension can damage the tank due to them smacking into the fenders near the drive gears or even de-track themselves thus possibly damaging the wheel system if not shredding the tires in the process

Ignoring the above problems you could technically "steer" by applying opposite forces to each side of treads, its not going to be as efficient as the AMX-10 or even a half track though
>>
>>30029476
Continued....

Its not going to be as efficient as a AMX-10 or even a half track though because the individual roller wheels have no hard connected transmission to provide power. You'd have to turn them into drive gears so that the tread linkages could adequately apply enough torque to those roller wheels to actually keep them from staying stationary as the regular roller wheels could get individually stuck and the tracks would grind away the rubber
>>
>>30029476
Go on.
>>
>>30029476
MORE!
>>
>>30028595
You can buy tanks straight from the frontlines in donbass from the Ukrainians for 5000 dollars a piece.
>>
>>30028595
DD as in daily driver is what I meant.
Still really a poorfag to do anything, but wouldn't it be fun to outrun a ricer Ford Festiva in a tank?
>>
>>30026707
You get a pretty good view of all the steering at 1:10 this video

https://youtu.be/klSCEhv40Eg?t=1m9s
>>
>>30020318
A waste of resources.
>>
>>30030764
>A waste of resources.
say's the accountant.
>>
>>30020328

Why the fuck don't the wheels go up any higher? Those tracks suspension system can suck up higher than the wheels. Do they want to bottom out or something?
>>
>>30032534
You already know why.

Because the guy that designed it had zero idea what he was doing.
>>
>>30020318
Retardation
>>
>>30029779
>>30030000

There's not much more I can say, The Schofield tank above illustrates the track sagging pretty well.

Say you want to beef up the suspension points at those 6 points to be able to maintain the weight in full tension, In tread mode you now have a tank that handles/rides poorly because the suspension in the front and rear are super stiff, these suspension points would wear out very quickly, more so at the front due to it receiving the terrain first.

For replacing the roller wheels with drive gears there are also issues, drive gears are not used for roller wheels because they wear down quickly enough with just contact with the tread links, now you're in tank mode driving on the drive gears putting them in muck (corrosion/rust) and impacting the gear's teeth with rocks and road they're impacting. Essentially the gear teeth would be mangled very quickly.

These two issues above would be a maintenance crew's worse nightmare constantly having to replace and repair the suspension. This could be solved by switching out the roller wheels to drive gears every time you switch from tread to wheel mode.

I've not even addressed how you facilitate lifting the tank into the air high enough to put on the wheels, for this you also need to carry extra weight in the form of enough jacks to distribute the tank's weight and/or structural points built into the vehicle to support the entire tanks weight instead of puncturing through the hull with the jacks and no you wouldn't want to use just one jack stand as you put on each tire as the suspension system again would be overburdened at that one point when you attach the wheel then lower most of the tanks weight to that one point. Its either that or you dig a hole big enough to mount the tires every time you change modes so that the majority of the roller wheels are supporting the vehicle as you switch drive modes.
>>
>>30032902
continued...

Another problem with this system is that you're essentially increasing weight with no actual advantage.

using the tracks to propel the wheels results in a 'car' that drives only as fast as a tank but due to the necessity to carry extra weight (tires, spare drive gears, jacks, improved suspension, etc...) you're not even going to be as fast as the base tank vehicle...

Keep in mind that the vehicle in question doesn't appear to carry any additional track links. Why this is important? because despite it being able to roll on wheels, the wheels are in fact driven solely by the treads, damaged treads would be a mobility kill on this tank-hybrid as there's no way to actually field repair the tracks without someone driving a spare set out to you. Keep in mind that there's no spare tires either, this artist of this vehicle didn't even remotely think of the needs of combat operations let alone the physical constraints put on a real world vehicle.
>>
>ctrl+f
>no FAMAS
i am dissapoint
>>
I'd say it looks like a cross of a BTR/BRDM and a Sherman.
>>
File: M8_Greyhound_Mrakovica.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2432) Image search: [Google]
M8_Greyhound_Mrakovica.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2432
>>30033272
its clearly a M8 Greyhound with tracks slapped on it.
>>
>>30034063
Except the turret face is all wrong, it's sloped instead of rounded and the front has much more pronounced drivers ports. It also has a front MG port as well. At a second glance, looks like he took inspiration for different parts of the vehicle from different vehicles. The base chassis an M8, the front being a BRDM (with added MG port) and the turret from an M4 sherman.
>>
>>30034063
The wheel wells are different.
>>
File: Staghound_Armored_Car_T17_E1.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Staghound_Armored_Car_T17_E1.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>30035285
>turret from an M4 sherman

More akin to the Staghound 37mm turret, or the turret of a M3 Lee.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.