[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a good rifle to start out with?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 480x480
Newfag to /k/ here, I was wondering which rifle is a good one to buy as my first.

I've had a lot of experience with guns, but I don't own one of my own yet (recently turned 18, so I could only use my dad's until now). Caliber doesn't matter to me, I just want a solid and reliable rifle for under $800.

Also my friend has an SKS and I've been looking at that for a while. I'm wondering if I should get that as of now
>>
>>30000852
just get a practical rifle to start with

Id say bolt action hunting rifle with a scope so you get comfortable with shooting

then i would think about getting an AR or AK

12ga shotgun also wouldn't be a bad start
>>
>>30000852
An SKS wouldn't be a bad first rifle. My first was a Nugget, but that was back when they were $80.

>>30000871
This guy has the right idea with a shotgun being a good first gun. They're relatively inexpensive and fun to shoot. Plus practical.
>>
You can build a good AR for around that price. Later, build another upper for a different caliber and use the same lower if you want to hunt larger game or make bigger holes in shit.
>>
>>30000852
Get a Starter AK Anon

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cai-ak-47-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0
Spend rest on mags and ammo

>Have fun
>>
>>30000852
Almost any military surplus rifles are ideal for a newb. They're all in full sized caliber, so you can get used to the kick and get rid of flinch reflex. Just learning gun safety and protocol should be your priority, so stick with bolt action rifles for a while.
>>
>>30000896
I was actually looking into that. I may save up a bit more and see how good of a build I can make.

>>30000979
Bolt action rifles are what I've been interested in for a while. I've had a lot of experience with them since I was 13, mainly using military surplus. One of the SKS I saw was military surplus, probably going to get one from there.

>>30000895
>>30000871
That's true, shotguns are a lot of fun to shoot with.

Thanks anons :^)
>>
Would I be making a mistake picking up an M34 for a first rifle?

I kinda want to get one before their all gone but I'm also planning on getting an AR soon and don't really relish the idea of having to buy two different types of ammo, and 7.62x54r isn't super cheap to begin wth.
>>
>>30001445
they're*

And I should mention I'm not OP.
>>
>>30000852
I haven't bought my first gun yet
But I would set aside a bunch of that money for ammo

You could get an M&P 15 for $550 and 1000 rounds of 5.56 and maybe some stolen valor sights

It's generally recommended to start with a .22 rifle
You could get a pistol if you just want to cc

Obviously having a standard 12g shotgun for home defense and bird hunting is basically mandatory

personally my first gun is going to be a fuddy, beautiful over/under shotgun
>>
You'll want to get ammo, but you don't need a shit-ton of "training ammo" if you have a rifle. Rifles require minimum training compared to handguns. You do want to have enough ammo to comfortably go shooting with your new gun, of course.
>>
Cyrus, you greasy bastard!
>>
>>30000852
Dad said he was proud of me once...

Fuckin' prick
>>
>>30002831
Fuck off I got work to do
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.