[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Egypt Air
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: trumpsam_szaloga.jpg (35 KB, 400x313) Image search: [Google]
trumpsam_szaloga.jpg
35 KB, 400x313
So what kind of weapons system could have taken down a passenger jet at 37,000 feet and are those systems easily accessible to terrorist organization operating in the area?
>>
>>29999401
>So what kind of weapons system could have taken down a passenger jet at 37,000 feet
A plane ticket and a hammer ought to do the trick
>>
My toothpaste according to airport security.
>>
>>29999430
>>29999450
I guess I should clarify.

Hypothetically if it was shot down and not taken out from the inside. Not likely but I was wondering.
>>
the plane crashed in the middle of the ocean, there is no way a terrorist organization shot it down. At best you could have a fucking retard standing on a raft with a MANPAD but the plane was too high anyway
>>
>>29999401
>terrorist organization operating in the area?

What terrorist organisation operates at sea in the middle of the Med?
>>
>>29999509
So no shoulder mounted weapon system couldn't reach 37K?

>>29999510
I know it's highly unlikely, but I was wondering what it would take to actually to shoot it down. If the system could have fit on a small boat or not.
>>
>>29999541
>So no shoulder mounted weapon system couldn't reach 37K?
not to my knowledge
>>
>>29999576
Could the smallest system that could reach 37K feet be fit on a small boat, such as a fishing trawler? Or are they pretty large systems.
>>
>>29999476
You're not impressed with bashing the flight crew's heads in and martyring one's self into the Mediterranean sea?
>>
>>29999599
Large and heavy. The thing pictured in OP is actually fairly compact and lightweight as far as heavy SAM systems go.
>>
>>29999625
Reports from boats and Greek islanders in the area, which they reported before a press release, say they saw a fireball in the sky in the area the aircraft was last reported in.

So it was either shot down or bombed. Probably bombed.
>>
Key
Extra funny for me since I had to deal with tsa today.
>>
>>29999637
I'm also guessing those missiles would give off a fairly noticeable radar signature as well?
>>
>>29999648
>say they saw a fireball in the sky in the area the aircraft was last reported in.
>So it was either shot down, or bombed, or had a compressor stall, or had faulty wiring running through a partially empty fuel tank, or broke up from aerodynamic forces following a decompression and loss of conscious crew, or an engine ripped itself apart, or literally anything that would fuck with fuel tanks or engine including problems originating from other systems on the aircraft
>>
Big guys.
>>
>>29999671
Noticeable to someone in the right place with the right equipment.

Targeting radars are usually powerful but narrowly focused. If it is a SAM system with an associated search radar, that would be the most detectable thing over a wide area.
>>
>>29999401
FAMAS
>>
Can this be a heavy SAM general thread? It seems like the OP has lots of questions about that, so we may as well make this thread about large SAMs and their radars and all that jazz
>>
>>29999401
based buk
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Air_Defense_Forces

Lots of things for a Muslim Brotherhood to steal if they had the right job.
>>
Assuming it was shot down from a boat, best bet would be a buk missile system being responsible, but it still leaves the question of how in the hell they got one. Its pretty serious hardware, and even then its got a service ceiling of like 12 or 13km so the plane is near the edge of that ceiling
>>
Old SA-2s or Sa-3s or pretty much any of the Buk/Kub series can get up to 37k feet and a passenger plane doesn't exactly have any defensive suite.

>>29999541
Igla-S (the newest version of it) has a max range of 20k feet and a max flight ceiling of 15k feet. Similar for the 9K333 Verba that's been introducedi nto russian service two years ago. Stingers are similar and Starstreak II is only marginably better, and that's probabl the lognest-ranged MANPADS that exists today.
>>
File: SA-3 Neva.jpg (78 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
SA-3 Neva.jpg
78 KB, 800x600
>>29999599
About the smallest you could got for something that reaches 37k would be this, and you'd need a seperate plattform for the targetting radar.
>>
>>29999777
can't argue with them digits
>>
>>29999979
>Igla-S (the newest version of it) has a max range of 20k feet and a max flight ceiling of 15k feet.
You mean 17k and 11k. And good luck getting the seeker to lock at that distance.
>>
>>30000169
That's the older Igla. Igla-S increased the range and ceiling. But yes, those are theoretical maximums, like with any system.
>>
If the thing was at the edge of greek airspace, and not that far from Cypress, wouldn't the Greeks or the bongs have picked up any SAM radar emissions? Even the Isrelis?
>>
>>30000218
checked again, you were correct about the ranges
>>
>>30000110
No you can't, MH-17 was a Boeing 777
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.