[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard was it to be a good gunslinger? Are revolvers still cool?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: tombstone_val-kilmer.jpg (26 KB, 580x295) Image search: [Google]
tombstone_val-kilmer.jpg
26 KB, 580x295
How hard was it to be a good gunslinger?
Are revolvers still cool?
>>
Gunslingers were pretty much a myth.
I think revolvers can be cool, anyway. Don't carry them for defense but I enjoy them
>>
>>29991120
PROTIP:
fast draw stunts in cowboy movies was often done with custom metal lined leather holsters.
Actual leather tends to grip on the pistol and slow down the draw.
the fastest fast draw movie actors always had metal lining in their holster so it was metal on metal smooth and could be fast draw.
>>
File: greatagain.png (1000 KB, 1014x556) Image search: [Google]
greatagain.png
1000 KB, 1014x556
>>29991120
they all got shot in the back bruv.
>>
>>29991120
It's easy to say, hard to do.
You be a good gunslinger by gunfighting and not dying.
>>
>>29992430
This

Basically almost everything you know about the old west was made up by Hollywood
>>
The best gunfighters weren't the fastest, they were the ones who stayed calm under fire. Some things never change.
>>
File: 1462485923025.jpg (38 KB, 691x780) Image search: [Google]
1462485923025.jpg
38 KB, 691x780
>>29991120
Im your Huckleberry
>>
>>29991120

Gunslinger were not these bad ass killers...pretty much just trick shot fags who can shoot a card in half, rapid fire onto targets....pretty much they were the jerry miculek of their time.
>>
>>29991120
Wild bill hickok is one of the few that was actually a "gun slinger" who praticed daily.
Rest lived in the times where carrying a firearm was something you had to do. Imagine going into the worst city you can think of without your firearm, life in some areas was like that whether it was from other whites or Indians
Docs background is interesting to look into, who wouldve thought he was a dentist
>>
>>29991120
>Are revolvers still cool?
Yes. The only people who hate revolvers are mallninja wannabes who panic any time they leave their basement bunker with anything less than fifty rounds of ammunition and a freshly cooked hot pocket, or weaklings who can't handle the recoil.
>>
>>29992501
and the ones in the wild west shows would often use "clamshell" holsters
>>
>>29992984
i posit that a .38 revolver is just as effective as a self-defense tool as it ever was.
>>
>>29991120

This is relevant to my interests. More about really Wild West shooters.
>>
File: william.f.cody.jpg (81 KB, 631x800) Image search: [Google]
william.f.cody.jpg
81 KB, 631x800
>>
File: annie.oakley.jpg (31 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
annie.oakley.jpg
31 KB, 500x281
>>
File: guns.gif (1015 KB, 475x200) Image search: [Google]
guns.gif
1015 KB, 475x200
>>29992925
Just read the wiki page for Doc, pretty damn good.

They did have duels back then, I'm not a historian so I have no idea what frequency. It shows up now and then. Thomas Jefferson was in a famous pistol duel, off the top of my head..

There was a lot of showmanship after the fact too. Buffalo Bill did shows even in Europe and folks loved that type of shit. Kind of went along with America's brand as a frontier nation.
>>
>>29991120

Real gunfighting then was as it was now

>dirty tricks
>back-shooting/ambush
>staying calm and thinking clearly

A lot of the "fast-draw" killings were just reacting to contact (Clay Allison killing those three men) or two people/groups simultaneously engaging (gunfight at the O.K Corral). Lots of famous gunfighters such as John Wesley Hardin and Billy the Kid never engaged in a recorded one-on-one meet-in-the-street Hollywood killing.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.