[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
THE GOOSE IS LOOSE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
US Army approves Carl Gustaf M3 MAAWS for general use
>US Army light infantry units are to be equipped with the Saab 84 mm Carl Gustaf M3 Multirole Anti-Armor Anti-Personnel Weapon System (MAAWS) as a standard issue tactical support weapon, following completion of a Conditional Materiel Release (CMR) authorisation by the army in late 2015. In parallel, the army continues planning and tasking efforts to achieve Full Material Release (FMR) to the service in late 2016.

>With the CMR complete, the M3 is now officially an organic weapon system within each army combat platoon, and will initially be fielded within selected Infantry Brigade Combat Teams (IBCTs), which will now train, maintain, and sustain the M3 as part of the IBCT organisational structure. Going forward, all brigade combat teams will receive 27 Carl Gustaf launchers, about one per platoon.
>>
Your gonna have fun, can't beat the Gustav for blasting shite to bits. Just make sure your all clear behind.
>>
Infantry BCT's are getting some teeth with this and XM25's.
>>
>>29987926
Aren't you limited on how many shots you can take with this before you have to take a long break from it?

Something to do with concussion?
>>
I've heard a bit about the Carl Gustav launcher, but what exactly makes it so appealing over other launchers we have?
>>
>>29988024

it was the shit in BFBC2
>>
>>29988024
Long range HE and anti-vehicle capability for infantry units. The others don't really have that. SMAW was somewhat similiar, but with a range of only 500 metres, it's vastly inferior.
>>
Uncle Carl. Fuck yeah!
>>
>>29988011

It's a problem shared across most launchers.

Being prone or indoors lowers that number considerably.
>>
>>29988024
Wait, I thought the Carl Gustav was a recoilless?
>>
>>29988024
Long range, reloadable, and can handle a wide range of weapon types.
>>
>>29987926
Does it come with the lock-on feature or do we need to replace our pistols with the tracer dart?
>>
>>29988062

Technically any open-backed rocket launcher is.
>>
>>29988024
Almost shotgun-levels of fired round versatility.
>>
>>29988024
-reloadable
-tons of ammo types
-fast projectile

>>29988062
it is.

>>29988094
it's all manual, non-electronic.
>>
>>29988024
Okay, so we have the AT4 and the like, right? Those are only single shot disposable tubes, with relatively short range, and with a dedicated task. An AT4 isn't going to be as good at bunker busting as the M141 BDM. The Carl Gustav, on the other hand, can fire multiple shots, from longer range, and pick and choose from a wide variety of rounds for a variety of different tasks. The biggest change is that this gives the infantry platoon a much greater ability to assault prepared positions, especially in urban areas.
>>
>>29988062
It is
Also the Gustav has a shitload of ammo variants
Smoke, Illumination, Confined Space HEAT, Tandem Warhead, HEDP, Airburst HE, etc
>>
>>29988062
"Recoilless". Plenty of supposedly recoilles weaponry have recoil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLGOat0JBfE
>>
This isn't fucking brand new...my unit has been using these for deployments for years.
>>
>>29988095
>>29988062

Good read on rocket vs recoil-less

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=349

Rocket if the propellant is contained in rocket and is a propellant outside of the launch tube with low pressure back blast

Recoil-less if the launcher is needed for propellant force or if the back blast is vented or run through a venturi, usually a measured amount of vented back blast to offset the recoil.
>>
I want fifth one from left as a buttplug
>>
>>29988177
But the thing was that it wasn't armywide. It went to certain units, especially deployed ones, but now it's going to be a doctrinal addition to all units. Or at least, that's what it seems like.
>>
>>29988202
Well, people are going to bitch more. NTC is going to suck less at least. I FUCKING HATE carrying a Javelin around all the time in training. I'll take the Carl Gustav. The gunner just carries the tube and a rocket or two, everyone else gets stuck hauling a bunch.
>>
>>29988224
I'm hoping they add another two guys or more to the weapons squad, because otherwise with this and the XM25 (which entered LRIP this year), it's going to be a bitch and a half to carry all the new shit.
>>
>>29987926
the first glance I gave to the news made me read that the Carl Gustav was going to be released through the CMP

>tfw no cheap surplus MAAWS to exercise muh rights with
>>
>>29988247
Wouldn't this be deployed on a squad level, rather than a platoon one?
>>
>>29988247
Not just weapons squad gets stuck with this shit. Even as an RTO I carry fucking mortars in Afghanistan.

>>29988265
No, these would be platoon level. There's usually 2-3 AT4 guys in my platoon total, one in each squad. Now it'll be 1 Gustav gunner in weapons squad with an AG.
>>
>>29988024

killing snipers in buildings on arica harbor
>>
Hardly worth getting excited over.
Even shitty eurokek countries that still practice conscription have had Gustafs for decades.
>>
>>29988265
No. Read the OP. These would be platoon level assets, which means weapons squad.

>>29988278
>Not just weapons squad gets stuck with this shit. Even as an RTO I carry fucking mortars in Afghanistan.
I get that, I'm just saying that it's what I hope happens. We both know it's a pipedream, especially in a shrinking Army.
>>
>>29988295
doesn't make it any less great news for the US Army that they're getting a great piece of equipment with a variety of uses.
>>
>>29988295
Well, yes, but this is a piece of equipment that IBCTs have some great use for, considering their intrinsic lack of vehicular firepower.
>>
>>29988326
>considering their intrinsic lack of vehicular firepower.
That's just about to change, if I'm not mistaken. With the JLTV purchase, they get a good degree more tactical mobility (and heavy weapons, if they so desire). Then, the MPF program seems to be aimed at giving IBCTs a hell of a lot more firepower. Given what one anon stated, I'd believe that there'd be a company of these vehicles at the battalion level.
>>
>>29988350
>JLTV
Oh, that's nice. I was wondering when they'll replace the Humwees with something actually capable.
>>
Anyone here ever fired the Goose?
I'v heard the backblast is so intense that inexperienced gunners and loaders spend the evening vomiting their guts out after a good day on the range.
>>
>>29988914
Never fired but I've been close enough to experience what you're describing. The pressure is enough to expell pretty much any liquid from your nose or ears, so make sure you dont have a cold.

It's actually better when you're firing it since your head is in front of the back blast, standing 15 meters behind it is about the worst place you can be, make sure to wear dubble ear protection around this thing.
>>
>>29988914
it's loud.
don't be a bitch.
seriously, it is similar to firing in at-4 in felt pressure in proximity to the gun being fired.
>>
>>29988024
Pretty much the Western equivalent of the RPG-7. Light, reliable, and a metric shitload of ammunition types to choose from. The US launcher family is pretty specialized, save for the SMAW, but its range is retard-short.
>>
>>29987926
Canadian Army has had a Carl Gustaf in the infantry platoon for decades, about time America caught up.
>>
>>29988107
What is that rocket the furthest on the left, it looks retarded and i love it
>>
>>29988011
There are peace time limitations. 3 or 4 rounds per day, the pressure can cause problems, firing one feels like you're being punched on the whole body at once. In war you fire as much as you need to. If it's a choice of risking internal injuries from the pressure or getting killed it's not a hard choice.

Doesn't apply to training rounds though. They won't fuck you up like that.
>>
>>29988914
I have fired it. You can definatly feel the preassure wave but it's not something that makes you vomit.
>>
File: US SOF Carl Gustav.jpg (636 KB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
US SOF Carl Gustav.jpg
636 KB, 4288x2848
>>
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Aglp5iyis
>>
File: my-nigga.jpg (42 KB, 552x464) Image search: [Google]
my-nigga.jpg
42 KB, 552x464
>>29988036
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.