[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are shemaghs/keffiyehs tacticool memes, or are they actually useful?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
are shemaghs/keffiyehs tacticool memes, or are they actually useful?
>>
They're useful memes.
>>
It depends
1: Are you in a desert
2: Is a sandstorm going on
If you answered yes to the above then you should wear one
>>
>>29984433
Useful but meh, arab shit.
>>
>>29984445
what if I'm in a desert where there could potentially be a sandstorm?
>>
it's about as useful as a hankerchief or bandana

which means it is really fucking useful
>>
>>29984454
Then it's fine
>>
I care about my gear looking good, seeing as I'll likely never use it outside of classes and innawoods. So I'm getting one, because they look cool.
>>
>>29984433
Midgets can use them for capes.
>>
File: image_4.png (356 KB, 499x565) Image search: [Google]
image_4.png
356 KB, 499x565
>>29984474
Kek
>>
you can:
>use it as a hat against the sun, or cold
>use it to conceal your identity and emotions
>use it as a makeshift sling if you fuck up your arm
>use it as a weapon when wrapping up a stone and swinging it at your enemies (if you run out of ammo and your bayonet sticks up somebodies rear)
>use it as a scarf if its cold
>use it as a sun shield in a car
>use it when picnicking inna woods

I think its pretty tactical
>>
>>29984472

>wearing your gear to classes

uh
>>
>>29984486
>to conceal your identity and emotions
fag
>>
>>29984433
Very useful
>>
what's the tacticoolest color?
>>
>>29984433
Fire retardent shemaghs worth it?

Are all shemaghs the same? Or is there a certain kind worth buying.
>>
>>29984914
white and black
Not just saying that because it's what mine is...
>>
>>29984433
As useful as a towel.
But not as well-made as a table cloth.
So no. Just use whatever cloth you have to satisfy your tactical needs.
>>
They were kind of a fad but once hipsters stole it it became gay. There are much less bulky and itchy ways to cover your face.
>>
File: abu_pepe.jpg (92 KB, 960x769) Image search: [Google]
abu_pepe.jpg
92 KB, 960x769
>>29984907
I bet you don't even operate
>>
>>29984992
>a cotton bandana is itchy and gay
how insecure are you?
>>
>>29984914
Go for white. That being said, stay the fuck away from shemags at least the cheap ones. They have dye that starts to drip off if its wet and can get on your skin if you sweat wearing it on you. I've seen this happen with both a dark green and white shemagh, just get a regular piece of cloth or athletic mask if you don't concern yourself with looking like a jihadi
>>
is it worth it to pay the big bucks for a legit one made by a towel head?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Original-Hirbawi-Authentic-Arab-Palestine-Scarf-Shemagh-Keffiyeh-Hatta-/322042677302?hash=item4afb3d4836:g:oDYAAOSwvgdW6gNU
or should I get a china knockoff for like 1/10 the price?
>>
>>29985009
I bet he doesn't know how to use the rockets for people.
>>
I got a few, used them when I was camping and these flies kept flying into my ears. Also good for protecting from sun and wind and to role play as snackbar.
>>
>>29984445
>>29984454
da do do da do do

da nana na

nana nana na nana

DA NANNANA

NA NANANNAA
>>
>>29985104
kek'd / 10
>>
>>29984433
I used to wear on when I was in the 'Ghan.
My shemagh would wipe my sweat off, cover my face during sand storms, help keep the sun off my eyes when I was napping in a staging area, and make a bomb ass bandana.

15/10 would use as my combat blankey again
>>
>>29985367
WooooHOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOAH
>>
>>29984907
>He doesn't accidently walk into private property of a ranch when going innawoods
I have to admit, my makeshift shemaghs using a green shirt and a multicam sbirt helped concealed myself in tall grass when passing armed ranchers. It was mainly my fault for failing to recognize that the battered and broken barbed wire wasn't some abandoned area and was part of an active ranch
>>
>>29984433
How the heck do you properly fold/wear one? I was given one, and I feel it may function decently as a bandana for motorcycling.
>>
From my experience, they are pretty useful, and quite practical too.

I had to do a few basic and advanced survival courses as part of my job as a park ranger.

A few practical uses I personally employed;
> Pillow.
> towel
> a head wrap (along with a head tac wrap) to cut the chill off the nights outdoors.
> dampen with a bit of water and wrap around head and neck when walking in 40+C heat or in direct sunlight.
> wrap in a way to carry lots of kindling/firewood at once.
> makeshift gloves
>facial protection when walking through dense scrub.
> hanging over branches for light shade.
> Cloth for gathering water from dew.
> bandage
> limb immobilization (tourist suspected of snakebite)

I probably used them for more, but those are the ones I can think of the top of my head.

Preferably I choose the white because it doesn't absorb heat in summer, alternatively I choose darker colors in winter.
>>
>>29984579
Unless it's an NRA basic handgun course then it is absolutely appropriate to wear gear to shooting classes. Most schools require it and have a recommended gear list.
>>
>>29986265
You fold them differently depending on purpose. I fold mine into a large triangle and then wrap it up and around my neck to keep my shoulder pads from chafing my neck. There are guides to making yourself looks like hajj though.
>>
File: Arrah Akbar.jpg (24 KB, 236x343) Image search: [Google]
Arrah Akbar.jpg
24 KB, 236x343
I wear mine as a head wrap during windy winter conditions.
>>
>>29984433
Decently useful, but are overused/misused so fucking much they are also a meme (at least when used wrong).

They're pretty decent sun/wind/dust/sand protection, are breathable enough that if it's hot and humid out you're not gonna stroke out, are big enough to be a makeshift tourniquet/bandage/cravat/soft splint, certain colors and patterns make okay camo, and are all around the KISS version of a lot of more modern shit.
>>
>>29984486
>use it to conceal your identity and emotions
It can't conceal my broken heart
>>
File: 1453514796725.jpg (7 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1453514796725.jpg
7 KB, 184x184
>>29986647
>It can't conceal my broken heart
Fffffuuuuccckkkk... i know these feels
>>
I used one overseas. It was so fucking nice. If you wrap it around your head (assuming your command lets you, sometimes they're dicks) it shades your face and keeps your neck from getting sunburnt if you're a pasty white fuck like me.
>>
Worked pretty good in keeping mosquitoes out of my face while hunting.
>>
>>29985009
Poor Abu Hajar, was just trying to kill some infidels but his buddies wouldnt leave him alone.
>>
File: comic.gif (15 KB, 700x265) Image search: [Google]
comic.gif
15 KB, 700x265
>>29986834
>>
Buy one, and if youre not liking it, you can make a shit ton of char cloth out of it.
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 671x673) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 671x673
>>29985009
>>
>>29984992
if it became gay then that is a net win for the west
>>
>>29986647
chest plate is better for hiding broken heart
>>
I take mine every time I go camping. They're really useful and everyone should have one.
>>
>>29984433
It's basically just a really big scarf, just don't wear one to the range with full gear and you'll be fine.
>>
>>29985090
I've bought a Palestinian one before, think there's only one factory that hadn't been bombed into oblivion still making them and I would say they are better for actual desert climates. They are thinner and more breathable than the cheap Chinese ones that are thicker and shrink and bunch up more easily.
>>
>>29984579
You never taken a carbine course or gunfighting class? Why are you on /k/?
>>
>>29984938
Hitchhiker's guide to the....tactic???
>>
>>29988382
I have a couple of Palestinian ones too, and they're nicer than any of the tacticool ones I've tried.
>>
Not a milfag, never served, but I live in Arizona, which may as well be Afghanistan. I also do lots of yard work, so I guess it's not too different from modern grunt work anyways. They're useful, I fucking love mine.

>115 degrees, sun blazing on you. Literally burning your skin
>Cover up head with a wet shemagh
>Feels like you can keep on working a little longer

I've used mine as a pillow, through the occasional sandstorm here, and I wear them most in the summer for obvious reasons. I got it as a joke initially, cause I thought they looked tacticool, but ended up actually using and loving it.
>>
>>29984907
It's a really great way to keep the LT from seeing the mocking look on your face when he spends three hours guiding the convoy in circles.
>>
They have a lot of uses breh. I used it every day when I was hiking the smokies, I always take it camping/hiking too as well as to music fests and shit... can be used for neck shade or a plot to sit on.

Hell, I used it 15 minutes ago on my 40 minute motorcycle ride home from school.. Kept that cold ass wind from going down my jacket and up my face. 10/10 snug as a bug.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.