[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
O/U Thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: Ruger red label -002.jpg (348 KB, 880x364) Image search: [Google]
Ruger red label -002.jpg
348 KB, 880x364
Hey guys, I'm having some issues.

I have about $1500-1600 to spend on an O/U and I've always wanted to get into the trap/skeet scene. I'm no shotgun expert, I'd just like to be able to take my father out shooting with a nice shotgun. He introduced me to shooting as a kid with an old .410 Mossberg - and I'm looking for an upgrade.

I've been googling all day and I've come across the Ruger Red Label.. is this a viable option? It seems like they're excellent quality firearms but ridiculously hard to find. Can you guys suggest me some other option?

Thanks /k/, sorry if my google-fu is shitty.
>>
Browning Citori or a Beretta 686 are also in your price range I believe.
>>
you could also look at the CZ redhead I believe it's called
>>
miroki mk10's and browning citori's seem to be the most popular lower price shotguns where im from
>>
>>29983597
Question.

In terms of O/U trap guns, what makes a 400 dollar gun worse than a 1500 dollar one?
>>
>>29985374
Same question. Why not get a Mossberg o/u maverick and be done with it? Spend the rest ammo and targets.
>>
>>29985374
What makes a mercedes worth more than a ford?
Look into the Franchi Phoenix
>>
>>29985454
So more expensive shotguns will accelerate faster?

...I'm not following...
>>
>>29983597
Bongolian here, so i'm something of an expert on O/U shotguns.

Best brands are almost exclusively Italian. Franchi, Beretta, Guerini, Renato Gamba, Perazzi. Browning and Winchester also have some solid products, but not at the same level as Italian gunsmiths.

You can get a gun that will last a literal lifetime for ~$350. Over maybe $750 quality and workmanship become virtually indistinguishable for the average user, no matter how many birds you kill; past this point you're paying for the engraving instead of the firearm. If you're willing to drop $1500 you should really just get a pair of guns instead. Maybe a 12 and a 20 so you can go shooting with your son fifteen years down the line, or with your wife.
>>
>>29985480
The more expensive gun will be better balanced and more ergonomic and generally made with better materials.
That being said it's mostly aesthetics.
>>
>>29985374
Pretty much just prescision, fit finish and materials. Both will go bang in the same way that a mercedes and a daewoo will both drive. My buddy bought a stoeger condor o/u which is pretty much the cheapest o/u you can get. The wood is dull, boring and matte finished, some small gaps around the place, plain blued receiver which isnt very evenly blued, the inertia trigger quite often sticks and doesnt reset for the second shot which is very frustrating when trying to shoot rabbits or something. Ejectors sometimes dont eject. Another thing with double barrel shotguns is the barrels arent paralell, they are tapered towards eachother and your shots are meant to cross over at a set distance, on a cheap shotgun youre lucky if they even attempted to get them close. So you could have both barrels quite a bit off of your point of aim.

If im buying something which ill likely own for decades then i sure as hell would rather pay a few hundred more for something ill love looking at and be proud to own instead of regretting my purchase every time i notice gaps in the wood or my trigger fails to reset. Infact id say that because the whole gun is breaking in half and locking back again, a break action shotgun is one thing definitely worth spending a little more for precise manufacturing
>>
>>29985531
>>29985494
Thanks you too. I'll admit. I understand guns very well but O/U shotguns have always just been beyond me for some reason.
>>
Do you shoot shotguns alot?

The reason for my question is that O/U have a different fit and swing than pump or semi autos

Some like the way they handle, some prefer semis.

If you are limited to the number of shotguns you own, you may want to really spend some time trying both to find the one that you like the best (O/U vs Semis)

If I had to choose just one type, I would choose a Semi. For me O/Us are just a fun break from the norm. Others would choose an O/U, so worth the time to figure out what you prefer.

I own a Ruger Red Label, a couple of Berretta, and a couple of Browning O/Us. I own more O/Us that I do semi autos, but I shoot thousands of rounds more through my semis.

Shotgunning is a moving fluid point shooting technique. Fit, comfort, instinctive pointing, and confidence is very important. There is not time to carefully aim, there is only time to fine the target, acquire lead, get a clear site of front bead and pull the trigger.

The good news is most trap/skeet/sporting clays courses will let you rent a gun or even try a few if you are serious on buying.

Try as many as you can, pick the one that feels and shoots the best for you.
>>
>>29985491
This man knows what he's on about.
>>
>>29983597
Fuck all these fancy under and overs.
Like >>29985491
said anything over 700$ and you are paying for detail. With that said, yeah it would be badass to have, but not worth a fuck. I know you mentioned skeet shooting, but what the fuck fun is skeet shooting in competition? It is fun to drink a few beers while knockin down some clays with your pops or buds. As you can tell, I don't shoot clays. I bird hunt, weather is not always ideal. One soggy bird hunt can fuck that 1500$ smoke pole up. I duck hunt salt marshes. Anything with bare metal will be rusted before I can get to clean it. That's why I bought a Yildiz, best 200$ I've ever spent. Ive got more money in the choke tubes than the gun. Then I wrapped the barrel in 100$ bill camo. I can get pix if you would like.
>>
Locking mechanisms for the action is a big part. If you get a $700 o/u like most here are auggesting expect to wear out the hing pin in about 3000 rounds.
>>
>>29986176
Most of /k/ can't afford 3000rds of anything, so the idea of wearing anything out ever doesn't occur to them.
>>
>>29986353
If op wanted to get into the trap scene then he ahould do 3k rounds in a season np. Unless he just means shooting skeets in his cousins field twice a year.
>>
File: wm_763668.jpg (543 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
wm_763668.jpg
543 KB, 2272x1704
>>29983597
I believe the red label went out of production, then a bunch of geriatric shooters hyped up the "good ol days" of it until when it came back people frothed hard on them and drove up the market.

If I were back in the O/U I'd lean on the old "get a B-gun" that being Browning, Beretta, Benelli. Used they fall right in your price range and will hold their value pretty much forever (unlike, say, the mossy mav). Personally I subscribe to the "cheap guns wear out, quality guns wear in"

That being said, there's nothing wrong with an auto if you're serious about Skeet and Trap, and a quality gun can be had at half your budget. Honestly, the gun is not the expensive part of this sport, so remington 11-87 / 1100, mossberg 930, or a beretta a300 will all give you some wiggle room in your budget for shells and clays.

or you can do what I did, rent some guns, shoot some clays, by a cheapo turkish gun, break the damn thing twice a month, sell it for half of what you payed, buy a good gun, smile when it works flawlessly 10,000 rounds a year
>>
File: 11111.jpg (70 KB, 700x350) Image search: [Google]
11111.jpg
70 KB, 700x350
>>29983597

If you're still around, contact me. I'll answer any and all questions you have.

I've been shooting clay competitively since I was 12 and was on the 13 time national champion Lindenwood Shooting team.

[email protected]
>>
>>29988283

Are you a grill?
>>
File: 180982_1466311792648_1416828_n.jpg (72 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
180982_1466311792648_1416828_n.jpg
72 KB, 720x540
>>29988283

I believe the best gun for your money as an entry level shooter is a solid Browning Citori series gun.

I started with a used 425, then got a 525. When I was accepted to the Lindenwood University team, my home coach and my parents chipped in and bought me a Zoli Kronos (~$3,500 at the time)

If you're just looking for casual range fun and not competition, >>29985491 is basically right.

All I'll say is that at LU we had Trap shooters using Mossberg pumps and they were still competitive. People pay more for features and quality.

In O/Us attention to details like barrel alignment is pretty big. At skeet ranges of 25 yards, not so much, but when you're shooting 60+ yard targets on a clays course, your point of impact changes dramatically and makes factoring lead much more difficult.

All I can say is that for the $3,500 gun that I have, it has never misfired a single time. A part has never broken. It has never needed maintenance any more than a good cleaning, and I have over 45k rounds through it in the past 6 years.
>>
>>29988345

No, but there were several grill shooters on the team. Some very attractive, and several were better than some of the male shooters.
>>
>>29986510
This isn't the first iteration of this thread, and it isn't what OP was looking for. If OP actually intended to shoot clays seriously, he would have already noticed that the B-guns are entry level and that the serious shooters are using Perazzi, Caesar Guerini, Krieghoff, Merkel, Zoli, CSMC, or are paid to shoot Browning or Beretta/Benelli.

Nothing made in Turkey, Brazil, or whatever other shithole there may be is going to hold up to the multiple hundreds of thousands of rounds a serious shooter will go through. Pins will warp, receivers will crack, and just start carrying spare triggers.

Now, no one on /k/ wants to hear this. They want to be assured of their previous conceptions or validated in paying $600 for a fucking Condor. They want to laugh at the "fudds" with $25,000 in a decent break action and a couple barrel sets, because of course their 870 Express is just as good.

As for OP, Red Labels are fine. The older style is heavy with mediocre balance, which makes it fantastic for the price. They are sort of hard to find. Personally, I would recommend the Silver Pigeon from Beretta or Citori from Browning.
>>
>>29985374
durability desu

>>29985531
this is true, but

it really just boils down to durability.

consider the o/u design: very simple, few moving parts, few places for crud to get stuck and dirty up the gun.

now consider the characteristics of a quality firearm: a trigger that breaks like a glass rod, good fit, quality materials, etc.

a high quality o/u is built to shoot tens of thousands of rounds and function in the exact same flawless manner every time, (literally) forever.
>>
>>29988418

This. Also, customer service is usually fucking phenomenal. My friends have Kolars, Krieghoffs, Blazers, Perazzi etc etc.

Some of them just have to go to the booth before a match or if something goes wrong and they'll replace parts and do minor work for free or at very little cost.

The reputation these guys have is flawless function. They can't afford for one of their guns to go down in a match (low or high profile) and let rumors spread of problems.

Hell, even my brother's Browning. The stock cracked where it met the receiver. He called up Browning and they paid express shipping to and back from Missouri for them to fix it before a shoot.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.