[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Forgive me, /k/, but I don't know much about 1911s. I got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (156 KB, 900x638) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156 KB, 900x638
Forgive me, /k/, but I don't know much about 1911s. I got to handle one, and I really like how natural it felt in my hand. Besides capacity, would there be any reason I couldn't CC a 1911? I really like how it felt, and the large aftermarket is nice.
>>
>>29983112

All steel 1911s can be heavy, but they're relatively thin so they ccw pretty well. I'd avoid the compact models, they have known reliability issues.
>>
>>29983112
sig p238 is great for a light summer carry
>>
>>29983112

Nah go for it.
8+1 rounds of .45 is plenty
>>
>>29983112
You carry the firearm you feel most comfortable with. You can drag a thousand rounds around, but if you aren't really sold on that carry gun, then you won't practice, and won't be as effective when the time comes.
>>29983159
This. Most self-defence scenarios are over in 2-3 shots. More boolits is always nice, but likely it won't matter one bit.

The 1911 was a fine combat handgun, and is a fine carry piece.
>>
>Googling "1911 as a Carry gun"
>THE 1911 IS A GUN FOR EXPERTS ONLY
>DEW NAUGHT CARRY A 1911 IF YOU ARENT AN EXPERT
>EXPERT EXPERT EXPERT
I don't get it, is this some sort of marketing thing?
>>
>>29983112
They are heavy.
But some people do carry them. So it can be done.
>>
>>29983237
Yeah, pretty much.
>>
>>29983159
8+1? My 1911 only holds 7+1. Are you sure you're not mistaken?
>>
>>29983582

8 round mags are quite common.
>>
>>29983590
Strange. I've never seen 8 round .45 acp
Mags. Then again, I've only owned my 1911 for about 2 months, so I'll take your word for it.
>>
>>29983601
I've got a couple ten rounders, and a 30 for my Hi Power. hi capacity magazines for old ass balls designs exist.
>>
>>29983601

They're out there. When I carried and shit a Springfield Range Officer for all of like four months I ran eight round mags. Wanna say Wilson Combat.
>>
>>29983610
Do they jut out from the bottom of the 1911, or does the spring just compress more to leave room for another round? I'm considering buying one, but I don't want to dick up the aesthetics and handling of the gun.
>>
>>29983112
p220's exist. but hey, go for what you like
>>
>>29983648

Flush fit.
>>
>>29983237
>expert
>remember to stay cock loaded and safety on

Thats probably what they mean
>>
>>29983582
>>29983601

Seconding that 8+1 1911 mags are extremely commonplace.
>>
>>29983219
This. There is no "best" CC piece, it's what you feel comfortable with.
>>
>>29983671
Nice. Just ordered one off eBay. I'm a little butt busted, actually, because I recently bought two 7 round mags for
20 bucks each, and I just got an 8 round for 15. Bah. Hopefully it doesn't have shitty feeding problems or something.
>>
>Unreliable

>8 round capacity in 2016

>heavy

>John browning meme

>not a colt at least.
>>
>>29983112
>>29983237

I was a permit to carry instructor for 2 years and by and large the 1911 is a terrible choice for the average carrier simply because of the sheer neglect the average person has for their firearm.

If your 1911 gets wet you will need to do a full disassembly like pic related or you'll have rust a brewing. The average gun carrier is barely competent enough to field strip their piece and/or too lazy to full disassemble their 1911.

Most gun carriers aren't going to pay much attention to where their brass is ejecting so long as it's not in their face whereas a 1911 user must in order to monitor the performance of his pistol.

Most gun carriers will just come into the store and buy whatever ammo the salesperson recommend whereas the vast majority of 1911s are extremely finicky with ammo and will require the user to ensure that the ammo they bought will consistently feed and function.

It's not that you need to be a 1911 armorer/gunsmith to carry one but you certainly need to be leagues more knowledgeable than your typical carry fag who is by and large abysmally incompetent and entirely overconfident.
>>
>>29983112
Do it. For CC nirvana get the thin alumagrips.
>>
File: everything but the kitchen sink.jpg (212 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
everything but the kitchen sink.jpg
212 KB, 1500x1000
>>29983745
>>
>>29983715
>8 round 1911 mag
>15 bucks
>Hopefully it doesn't have shitty feeding problems or something.

hate to burst your bubble...

You should be looking at Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick or Tripp research for reliable carry mags.
>>
>>29983745

I just hose my gats down with ballistol and wipe off the excess.
>>
>>29983745

Everything you've said is either wrong or very misleading.
>>
>>29983112

SA and has a grip safety, it's a nice novelty from older times but it has been phased out now.

Not to mention a USP holds 12+1, shoots as good, weighs less, and is much, much more reliable. Or you can get a sig.
>>
File: parts.jpg (71 KB, 691x434) Image search: [Google]
parts.jpg
71 KB, 691x434
>>29983756

Nice try browning shill
>>
>>29983778

?
>>
File: 1432427984539.jpg (86 KB, 651x940) Image search: [Google]
1432427984539.jpg
86 KB, 651x940
>>29983759
I'll be sure to report back. Magazines aren't complicated devices, there's no reason for them to be expensive...

I remain cautiously optimistic.
>>
>>29983112

Don't listen to these idiots telling you any CC piece is as good as another. Train yourself to perform with whatever gun you think is the best option for your CC in whatever situations you are CC'ing. Carrying a pistol around isn't a fashion statement.
>>
>>29983762

For most tupperware that's not going to be a problem. For 1911s that are actually CC'd and not range toys I find that malfunctions eventually occur as lint accumulates behind the grip safety and area above the mainspring housing.
>>
>>29983819

You're full of shit.
>>
>>29983112
you can cc them, sure. but why would you when there are guns more suited to it?
>>
>>29983830

k
>>
>>29983112
Do it.

I suggest a stainless steel or nickel one though. IDK about you, but here in NC along the coast, it is very humid. My carry gun is a p64, which is blued steel, and if I dont wipe it with oil every 3 days it gets a bit rusty.

Its not really a serious issue to do maintainance every few days, but it would definitly save me some money on eezox if I didnt use it every other day lol.

If you are going to get a blued or parkerized steel type 1911, in terms of price point from cheapest to most expensive:

RIA
Cimmaron
Colt
SA

RIA has the best bang for your buck no nonsense 1911. Sure it will be a bit rough internally, but all the parts will fit nicely and it will shoot straight.

Cimmaron has an almost perfect ww1 style 1911 with the best polished blue finish ive seen that comes close enough to the old colts. Its also the same price as an RIA.

Colt, is colt. You are getting an american made 1911 with probably the best slide to frame fitting for the price. If you want to start from a classic, get an ANV III model. If you want a basic model get a basic series 70 or 80. And if you got the money, get a m45 or a railgun.

Springfield armory is expensive, but you get the tightest fitted 1911s with multiple upgrades. If you are going to get something from them, order from the custom shop. Or a trp. I wouldnt recommend getting a basic 1911 from SA, they are over priced for the basic model, and the quality is worse than something from RIA.
>>
anything less than a 4.25 inch is Haraam.
>>
>>29984720
EDIT

For the cimmaron I meant to say ww2, not ww1. The cimmaron 1911 is practically a transitioned 1911 upgraded to an 1911a1, due to the A1 sights, hammer, grip safety, and shorter trigger. Whats original from the 1911 is the flat MSH, and no finger cutouts on the sides of the trigger.

Im a 1911 sperg, and it triggered me when i re read what i posted.
>>
>>29983745
>1911 is a terrible choice for the average carrier simply because of the sheer neglect the average person has for their firearm.
Tell them to get a plastic fantastic then.

>If your 1911 gets wet you will need to do a full disassembly like pic related or you'll have rust a brewing.
Then they bought a shit 1911. Rust is either extreme neglect or bad metal, bad finish, etc. That can happen to any gun. See Sig rust meme.

>a 1911 user must in order to monitor the performance of his pistol
Again, a shit 1911 will have these issues. Buy a Ruger, S&W, Sig, SA, etc. and you don't have to worry about out of box performance: they just work. This is where 1911s get a bad rap: everyone makes them, not everyone makes them right. Just cause your RIA 1911 doesn't run doesn't mean a S&W 1911 is a bad gun.

>1911s are extremely finicky with ammo
Regardless of your gun you should make sure it likes the ammo it uses. Yes, 1911s tend to be more finicky, but again, it's back to different tolerances of different manufacturers and the fact that you can buy 1911 mags from 100 different manufacturers.

>your typical carry fag who is by and large abysmally incompetent
Your whole argument comes down to this: incompetent shooters. Doesn't make the 1911 a bad gun, but doesn't mean it's a good choice for all. If someone drives a Camry and doesn't take care of it and feeds it bad gas then it'll still run. Mistreat a Mercedes and feed it unleaded from the habib gas station and it'll get finnicky and need repairs, doesn't mean it's a bad car, it just has a bad owner.
>>
>>29986604

>Tell them to get a plastic fantastic then
I don't tell them what to buy, I merely give them the training the state requires. I'm not a firearm salesperson.

>Then they bought a shit 1911. Rust is either extreme neglect or bad metal, bad finish, etc.
Any 1911 will require a full disassembly to ensure it will not rust after exposure to water. This is not unique to the 1911 nor did I say it is but the 1911s disassembly process is leagues more complicated than a Glock or M&P.

>a shit 1911 will have these issues
Any 1911 will have extractor issues over time which will require significantly more monitoring as well as machining to ensure proper fit during replacement. Meanwhile, tupperware owners can just buy an extractor online for their G19 at a much higher round count and replace it with zero fitting necessary.

>This is where 1911s get a bad rap: everyone makes them, not everyone makes them right. Just cause your RIA 1911 doesn't run doesn't mean a S&W 1911 is a bad gun.
Exactly, the average carrier does not have the interest in tinkering with a 1911 or sending back a lemon to make it work. If your Springfield is slide locking on the 2nd to last round (as mine did) most people don't want a gun they need to send back to the factory. They want one that works out of the box with close to 0% risk of being a lemon.

>Yes, 1911s tend to be more finicky, but
No buts, faggot, even Wilson Combat is finicky with ammo and requires tinkering to make it work. http://forum.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=327350 The average gun owner is not going to be happy spending over $4k for "the best" 1911 when sure as shit it'll be finicky with ammo.

>incompetent shooters
Yes, I never said otherwise, most carriers are shit

>Doesn't make the 1911 a bad gun
It's not a bad gun, it's just much worse than the alternatives available to a firearm carrier

>car analogy
A 1911 is more like a Jaguar. Not only do you need to take care of it but it'll also crap out on you for no reason too.
>>
>>29983112
Is a 1911 alright for a first handgun? I've shot many before but never owned. Also how much would you pay for a used Remington 45 1911 r1? shiny and clean with no visible scuffs/scratches.
>>
>>29989465
A Springfield armory 1911 was my first gun, I've had no problems with it, and honestly, the disassembly isn't that bad.
>>
>>29989465
although a 1911 wasn't my first 'gun" but was my first hand gun (owned only rifles and shotguns before it due to age) and i absolutely loved it, was a blast at the range and i never had any issues with it. But i did clean my gun pretty regularly at the end of every day at the range so i never really let it get filthy, may have something to do with it's good reliability.
>>
Finicky , customizable, target guns.
I dont see these holding up as well for that purpose as your more modern handguns. Theyve made shitty aluminum 1911s for carry and they dont impress me.

A lot of people (here anyhow) will give me shit over this , but i carry a glock. Just dont load it with any + p anything loads and youll be fine.
The guns arent rated for it but there are ass clowns that will exclusivly only shoot +p+.
The gun could probably handle a wildcat or too , but after a while that gun explodes , due to over pressured rounds. Then the same ass clowns will call them "unsafe glock-nades"
>>
>>29991903
Glocks are boring shit and mediocre across the board.
>I don't even like 1911s
>>
>>29983648
My 8-rounders fit flush. Dunno about these 10-round savages.
>>
>>29983733
> unreliable
Operator/maintenance issues. Problem not with gun. Problem with sperglet. Design is fine.

Unless you buy cheap shit. In which case just get a tyrone special and be done.
>>
File: IMG_20160512_203744015.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160512_203744015.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
Not to go off topic or hijack the thread or whatever, but I just got a Remington R1 and want to change the grips and I figured this thread may be a good place to ask.

What's /k/'s recommendation? I see VZ come up a lot.
>>
>>29989465
1911 excellent gun. Used, I'd pay no more than 600 for that Remington, and even that is probably pushing it. How used is used? I'm talking internals. If you buy the gun but the extractor is fucked, you're gonna end up dumping money into the part, and if this is your first fun, probably gunsmithing for it as well.
>>
Ever notice how everyone compares to a 1911? They shoot all ammo with quality mags. Most 1911 shooters that complain dont shoot 1911s or dont use good mags. Ftf fte stovepipe ect all mag related. Or spring related. If your brass lands 5 to 7 ft from you spring is right for that load. Frame to slide sloppy fit also means nothing. I tested one of mine, an 80s gold cup with 16lbs spring, with 6000 rounds of swc hand loads. Powerfactor 165 to make major.no cleaning or striping. Just a little oil every 500 rounds. NO FAILURES.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.