[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bullet setback
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 1445263040872.jpg (253 KB, 1329x1192) Image search: [Google]
1445263040872.jpg
253 KB, 1329x1192
Is there any way to prevent this? Starting to conceal carry soon and I'm most likely going to be in the habit of constantly chambering and rechambering whenever I come home and dryfire practice.

I would imagine slowly chambering a round riding the slide instead of slingshotting the slide back home can prevent this, any truth to it?
>>
>>29982891

I shoot my carry ammo every few months and reload with fresh JHPs to avoid this issue
>>
>>29982891
Dont be a jew and buy new ammo every now and then.
>>
>>29982901
This, and why are you unloading your gun every day?
>>
Just buy quality ammo, no steel cases. Just get well fitted brass, the lead shouldn't be able to move unless it is hit really hard by something. I know everyone loves cheap ammo for plinking, but if youre going to run cheap ammo, run it through a cheap brick gun like a makarov or glock. For concealed carry, it pays to have bullets that fit your gun correctly and dont have any feeding issues or any sort of unreliability. Do some measuring with calipers, use your fingers to see if the bullet has any sort of wiggling when its chambered. It should be snug, not tight not loose. And use your brain when trying different ammunition, find which one works in your gun the best. Every manufacturer is different.
>>
File: Prevent Bullet Setback.jpg (50 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Prevent Bullet Setback.jpg
50 KB, 600x600
>>29982891
>Is there any way to prevent this?
>>
>>29982946
Repeated loading/reloading of the same cartridge will eventually introduce some degree of setback regardless of the material or the manufacturer.

Your best bet is as >>29982901
>>29982911 said, and just shoot it every once in a while. That way you get used to actually shooting your carry ammo as well.
>>
>>29982946
>run
fucking kill yourself
>>
>>29983553
This, I'm selling all of my semi auto's for buying revolvers.
>>
I ride the slide home so the cart enters the chamber slowly and gently. Just make sure it's in battery.
>>
File: 1453773441306.jpg (13 KB, 474x357) Image search: [Google]
1453773441306.jpg
13 KB, 474x357
>>29983640
revolvers are also inherently more reliable
>>
>>29982891
Once a round is chambered, do not unchamber it unless you fire it. If you ABSOLUTELY have to, to live for some reason, throw the round in the trash.
>>
>>29983862
you're not even trying.
>>
>>29982891
load your own p+++ ammo, and fill it up completely with gunpowder.
>no room for setback
>consistent as fuck ammo, not that its important for anything but competition shooting
>>
>>29983865
Am I supposed to try? The nonsense that fudds have got people into doing is ridiculous. Bullet setback is only an issue because people haven't been taught what to do with a firearm so they end up doing all these neurotic weird rituals.
>>
>>29983867
I already own a glock so this seems a bit redundant..
>>
>>29982891
I personally always put my first round in the chamber by hand, then let the slide close on it so its already seated then put the full mag in.
>>
>>29983901
This is another weird neurotic ritual and will break/weaken the extractors on MOST firearms. Of course you won't notice the damage you did to your extractor until the next time you go to shoot it and start having malfunctions. Stop doing this. Insert the magazine, rack the slide, put it in the holster.
>>
>>29983901
>>29983930
why not just slide it under the extractor and chamber it slow?
>>
>>29983952
Why not handle your firearm like a responsible and educated person. Put the magazine in the firearm, run the slide full force, letting it slam home, and then go on with what ever you plan on doing. When you unload it, remove the magazine, throw the ejected round in a bin and keep it far away from your other ammo. Watch as the bin fills up and realize how much money you're wasting by ritually unloading your guns all the time. Just leave them loaded. I have a few guns that haven't been to the range in years and they're still sitting with a round in the chamber. There's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>29983983
>a cartridge can only be chambered once.
>>
>>29984013
It may work, it may work, all firearms and ammunition manufactures are different. Fact of the matter is that it's a fundamental misunderstanding of firearms to think that you can keep chambering a round and not expect serious problems.
>>
>>29984030
nigga wat
>>
>>29984030
...What? I chamber and rechamber all the time.

This has never caused an issue. You are retarded.
>>
File: image.png (392 KB, 1078x729) Image search: [Google]
image.png
392 KB, 1078x729
All bullets will get setback from rechambering over and over. I just use a different round in my magazine to tech Amber my round on my duty gun. Honestly just keep your gun always loaded you'll have less accidents if you always think and treat your gun as if it's loaded. The only downside is you can't do dumb goofy shit with your gun with out feeling like you might kill yourself on accident
>>
>>29983983
>throw the ejected round in a bin and keep it far away from your other ammo.
seriously, fucking why? you're so retarded.
>>
>>29983983
>Just leave them loaded.

Just leave them loaded OP, and it's time to go to the range, shoot the round you had in the chamber.
>>
>>29983930
Serious question, why would doing that harm the extractor? Wouldn't letting the slide ride down the chamber while picking up the round do the same thing? Why would slowly putting the slide/BCG down on a bullet already in the chamber going to cause more damage than simply doing slide release?
>>
>>29983983

>responsible and educated
>continually leaves guns loaded
>mentions nothing about a safe

Bravo.
>>
>>29984208
during normal loading the rim of the cartridge is pushed under the extractor. Pushing the round in the chamber means the extractor has to travel over the rim.
>>
>>29984270
Nope. Lrn to 'controlled round" feeding.
>>
>>29984272
Having a round in the chamber and then sending the slide home means the extractor has to travel over the rim. This is a fact.
>>
>>29984208
It doesn't. It's been tested mechanically, and it doesn't cause damage.
>>
>>29984348
I'd love to see a link to that research.

>InB4 deafening silence.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.