[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gunsmith question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: SL-0214-9.jpg (11 KB, 400x291) Image search: [Google]
SL-0214-9.jpg
11 KB, 400x291
Can we discuss barrel liners real quick /k/?

Seems general fudd lore saysits only fit for .22lr, though I found a manufacturer making them for a variety of pistols, straight wall cartridges, and nearly any caliber for black powder.
Fudd lore states "high pressure cartridges will blow the liner clean out!"

Now I know this is complete bullshit as I own two different milsurps that were relined. A carcano-vetterli in 6.5 spaghetti, and a p-26 Finnish m91 in 7.62. I admit the vettei is poor proof as the action itself can't take the pressure for long (if at all for the brave) but not once had the Finn impaled a target with what used to be its rifling.

Simply put, why was this tech completely dropped pre ww2 and only kept around for small time stuff?

I have a few milsurps that would be perfect shooters if their groupings weren't barn sized
>>
>>29979223

Are you trying to suggest that modern rifle barrels are not chrome-lined?

They totally are. That, or some other resistant coating like melonite.
>>
>>29979223
Lining a barrel is great at combining the cost of making a new, rifled barrel with the cost of fairly intensive gunsmithing.

Generally speaking, making a new barrel is now cheaper and easier. They remain for legacy firearms where a new barrel just isn't an option.

For any Mauser action, and for many others, a new barrel is cheaper and easier.
>>
>>29979223
This board is also a terrible place to ask technical and smithing related questions, unless you want advice from 12 year olds on AR handguards.
>>
>>29979223
not true but also not normally done. The italians used lining a lot through WWII in the vetterli like what you have as well as the carcano, in the carcano it was done primarily with worn out barrels on old guns from WWI. the most common uses for it today are on .22s and C96 broomhandles for which the 2 primary methods of fixing a worn out bore are relining, and reboring the barrel to 9mm from 7.63. most hunting rifles tend to be easier and cheaper to rebarrel rather than line. guns like the C96 require relining because the barrel and barrel extension are all one piece and thus cannot be rebarreled but need to be relined
>>
>>29979270
maybe during the day but we have a few people that know what they are doing at night
>>
>>29979223
I'm not sure what your question is as you already stated that liners are still being sold but as >>29979256 said, the cost of rebarreling vs boring out and then relining doesn't make sense unless you are some kind of cash strapped military with a shitton of surplus in an obsolete caliber and even then there's a handful of standard calibers world wide for a reason.

Depending on what your milsurps are I'd just find a barrel in okay condition and get a barrel vise, wrench with a cheater bar and learn how to headspace properly.
>>
>>29979274
Wonderful answer. I can understand the cost, seems like an open opportunity to reline barrel matched collectables, especially for oddball ones like the c96.

>>29979313

Cost isn't the issue, I was specifically looking to reline my FAL barrel as it's number matched with all the Gucci cartouches.

The vendor I mentioned above only had them in long outdated calibers, and .22.
>>
>>29979417
With higher pressure cartridges liners are less recommended, if all originality is a major factor for you, I'm sure you might be able to find some gunsmith that would be willing. I would personally just save the original and put in a new barrel.
>>
>>29979479
That's certainly the backup plan. It's just awfully wasteful on every front. A truly new barrel is running $250ish, more for bipod cuts, and finding a lugged one is more premium.

Versus the average liner in like .30-30 is $179.
>>
>>29979544
After the gunsmith runs it through a lathe and all the labor needed to make sure the thing headspaces right and shoots straight you won't really be out much more ahead.
>>
>>29979417
Liners are secured with high temperature solder or Arcglass, neither of which is ideal for the pressure created by firing modern high pressure ammunition.

Repeated use will separate the liner which will pull forward with subsequent bullets and then rupture at the muzzle.
>>
>>29979568
All of which I can do myself with a reamer and guages.
>>29979575
My Finn m91 had shown zero sighns of this. At. All.

I have shot surplus, new made, and hotter handloads out of it.

Acraglas might not be up to the challenge, but saying solder isn't is pure fudd lore bullshit.
>>
It depends on caliber if it is really worth it or not. When 17 Mach 2 was really popular we would line tons of 10/22 barrels for them.
But other anons are correct, for most larger caliber rifles you are generally better off buying a new barrel ESPECIALLY for easily acquired firearms. With some rifles (like your carcano) it's the only option...
>>
Well, what do you mean when you say 'work"?

Will it make it through a hundred rounds of ammo without the barrel liner splitting (which is how liners fail).

I wouldn't shoot just about any centerfire rifle that's been relined. Sure, it might work, but I don't want 45,000 psi of gas, carbon, and case pieces in my face.

For low pressure stuff like .44 Special, or .380, yeah, I might go for that.

Chrome lining is different. It's applied like hard chrome is to the exterior of a piece, not as a liner.

What someone was willing to do in the face of the Soviet juggernaut in 1940 doesn't equal what I'm willing to do with my face or fingers today. Ever seen a centerfire rifle let go? It's a big deal.

The days of the retired gunsmith who'll do anything for minimum wage are pretty much over. If you can afford to reline that Carcano, you can afford to rebarrel and headspace it.
>>
>>29979239
End yourself noguns
>>
>>29980484
I'm not sure what/who you are refering to with the "work" comment, as you are the first one to even say it.

Chrome isn't the liner i was refering to at all.
I was going to do the entire relining process myself. I understand headspace and chambering, already have the tools to do both, as ive parroted a few times, i am not worried about the liner splitting, my m91 which has lasted atleast 70 years since being relined itself, after fighting the russians, being imported to the us and subjected to who knows what since then.

Big caveat there being I would need a high quality liner, and not some "good enough" .22, black powder, terrible cartridge liner.
>>
>>29979952
>reamer

No you can't retard
>>
File: Serious.jpg (22 KB, 540x380) Image search: [Google]
Serious.jpg
22 KB, 540x380
>>29980751
Please explain yourself. Please tell me how a 7.62 chamber reamer would not be necessary.
>>
>>29980848
Oh it would be necessary, but you're not going to be able to fit, form, solder, and trim that liner by hand

You also need to use something like a double load to seat them
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.