[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beretta 84B/F
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10
File: Beretta_84F-JH01.jpg (2 MB, 2558x1872) Image search: [Google]
Beretta_84F-JH01.jpg
2 MB, 2558x1872
I see a lot of these guns for sale online for pretty affordable but have never considered them as serious options because they shoot a relatively weak, relatively expensive cartridge, and are themselves fairly big and bulky pistols. However, I have seen a few people on gun forums expressing regret that they missed AIM's last batch of them (apparently these people have never heard of Gunbroker, but let's ignore that for now).

So, what gives? Why would anyone want to spend $300 on a 13-shot, all metal (heavy) .380 handgun that's about the same size as a Glock 19?

All that I can really figure out is that it's about the size of a Walther PP, but it has a double-stack magazine. It's like a CZ 83 or a double stack Makarov, but is made in a first world nation and has a locked breech (I think it does, anyway) design. Or maybe it's for people who are big fans of Beretta pistols, and just want to flesh out their collections? Help me understand this, folks.
>>
>>29978947

It's for people who live in countries where you're not allowed to buy the same ammo that the military uses.

Central/South American countries are like this, and they fucking love Berettas for whatever reason.
>>
>>29978947
They are very accurate and very pleasant to shoot. The price is great for a Beretta anything, old and new their stuff is very high quality when you look past the quirks.
>>
>>29978947
It also has a manual safety and is DA/SA, which is preferable for some (including me) to the Glock, even at the cost of a weaker cartridge. It feels very nice in the hand, too. Like most Berettas though, you really should get inox instead of blued.
>>
>>29979458
>It also has a manual safety and is DA/SA, which is preferable for some (including me) to the Glock,
There are compact guns with DA/SA + a safety and decocker, such as the HK P30SK(s).
>>
>>29979191
Why the hell can't you use military ammo there? Is it just bullshit to stop revolutions?
>>
So, I guess it probably comes down to, for most people,
>it's a good gun by itself, and doesn't need to be better than something like a Glock 19?
>>
>>29979478
>>29979478
P30SK is a great pistol. I got one for my wife and with 500rds down it there has not been one malfunction. It handles well, and is very accurate. My only complaint is the lack of a pinky rest, although it isnt an issue for her.
>>
>>29979458
>you really should get inox instead of blued.
Is that for looks? Because their bluing on 92s seem pretty nice to me.
>>
File: Beretta 84F 221.jpg (119 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Beretta 84F 221.jpg
119 KB, 1024x768
>>29978947
>relatively weak
Lehigh XTPs

>relatively expensive cartridge
It's gotten cheaper.

>13-shot, all metal (heavy) .380 handgun
High capacity for it's caliber, inherently low recoil of the caliber combined with the slightly weightier than usual gun, and it's very easy to shoot.

It's not a bad idea for someone with smaller hands, it's a bit small, easy enough that I can fit it in a pocket, but it's not so small as to iffy to handle.

I think that if they redesigned it from unlocked blowback, and made it locked breech, to make the slide easier to cock, I think it would be a very good gun for the really young and really elderly.
>>
File: Ruger-ARX-4.jpg (70 KB, 894x546) Image search: [Google]
Ruger-ARX-4.jpg
70 KB, 894x546
There's also the Ruger ARX, which I don't really know anything about, but I've never been disappointed by Ruger.
Read/watch reviews and stuff and see what people are saying.

>>29979478
P30SK might be nice, but it has less capacity, and is bigger, in a sense.
I also imagine it would recoil differently.

>>29979551
That, and "what if someone takes a weapon from the police".
Mainly, it's a feelgood law, they have them in France and Spain too.
Notably, France kept .32ACP listed as a military caliber for an absurd amount of time, and I don't think they allow 7.92mm Mauser still, meaning France is one of the big consumers of 7mm Mauser in this day and age.
>>
>>29981979
Oh, I thought it had a locked breech design. Now that just makes the gun's appeal even more of a mystery to me. Is it an older design, then? I read people talking about it online, and they always say something like "I've wanted one of these for a long time." Apparently the gun industry left these people behind, like 40 years behind.
>>
>>29980269

Pretty much. Unless you're a professional gun-toter and even then, you can always go in for style points.

Not everything has to be highest speed lowest drag.
>>
File: 1404101854415.jpg (95 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
1404101854415.jpg
95 KB, 1024x680
>>29982159
>>29980269
This, there might be objectively more practical things, but ultimately, it's a pretty decent gun for what it is, and some people just like the feel and handling of a Beretta, personally, I just like the overall characteristics of the gun, it's very easy to control, and is a little bit old fashioned, while actually having power that's not too shabby.

It's not like you're unarmed with one of these, just use modern ammo like XTPs, I mean, some people are comfortable carrying five shot .38 snubs, and that's considered passable still to this day as a light carry.

I figure, as long as it can shoot five times, and is at least as big as .380ACP or .38 Special, it's a gun you can reasonably defend yourself with in a typical DGU scenario, and anything beyond that as well.
>>
>>29978947

Bruh I got an 84 years ago and I love it. It's an extremely pleasant shoot, it's not really the most economical I guess though. You can see that in every detail, it was always meant to be the Cadillac of .380's.

It's reliable and does everything you want, but it's not a glock. It wasn't meant to be only practical. It's beautiful with amazing machining and a great feel. It's also fairly expensive. It's a primo .380, if you want something economical go get a glock.
>>
>>29982407
>not really the most economical I guess though.
Maybe not by what gun stores seem to want for them, but I'm seeing them on Gunbroker - ranging from heavily used to lightly used - in the $250-350 range.
>>
>>29982421
Well I mean in the sense of what you get. $400 gets you a decent glock 19, if you're one of those people who only care about having that one gun that they can always depend on and think everything else is stupid.

Also those are stupidly low prices. When Beretta still sold them, they were like $900. They went out of production and a fuckton of them got shipped from overseas.

It's basically a "full sized" pistol in .380. It's not really big and it's definitely not compact or anything, it's a medium sized, 13+1 .380, which is really unique. Most .380's that you get are shit, where people only worry about them being lightweight and holding 6 or 7 rounds.
>>
>>29978947
its a good gun desu
>>
File: Beretta 84FS Cheetah Black Tie2.jpg (541 KB, 1746x1296) Image search: [Google]
Beretta 84FS Cheetah Black Tie2.jpg
541 KB, 1746x1296
>>29982472
AFAIK Beretta are making the 84FS again.
Really, I think they should just redesign it to be locked breech, just to complete the deal.

It's already a 'big', high end .380 pistol, they might as well make it the best, the slide is a bit stiff to rack, so making it locked breech, it could be made MUCH easier to operate, potentially also making the recoil even softer, if only by a little.
>>
One of the police departments we worked for had a couple of dozen of those to issue to plainclothes cops.

Verdict? Surprisingly nice gun for what it was. You have to remember that the gun world back then had fewer choices, and it was generally smaller than the Model 59 those guys would have carried otherwise.

My boss back in the 1980's carried one of those as a CCW piece. He liked it.
>>
>>29982676

That's really fucking cool.
>>
How does it compare to the 92 size-wise?
>>
>>29982652
>AFAIK Beretta are making the 84FS again
They don't currently import them to the US of A. They've probably been producing the 80 series non-stop, as they're popular items.
>>
File: beretta84fs.jpg (825 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
beretta84fs.jpg
825 KB, 2592x1944
>>29978947
They're a fine 380. I carried one for a while before switching to a rami 2075. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it again.
> very reliable
> nice da/sa trigger
> manual safety + decocker
> aesthetics
>>
>>29979191
Nevermind that's a shit ton of those we're police pistols but what the fuck ever. Its a euro gun, Europeans have been perfectly happy with .32s and .380s since forever.

Anyway for anyone that likes Maks, CZ82/83s or berettas in general the 80 series and Browning BDA are fantastic guns. Good looking, good handling and very well made.
>>
>>29982652
>I think they should just redesign it to be locked breech
Absolutely pointless unless they wanted to make it a 9mm and the compact L and 9000s already exist
>>
>>29983476
>Absolutely pointless unless they wanted to make it a 9mm
Except locked breech requires a less stiff recoil spring, thus it's easier to work the slide.
>>
>>29983476
...and less felt recoil
>>
File: Beretta 84 Silencer.png (192 KB, 473x497) Image search: [Google]
Beretta 84 Silencer.png
192 KB, 473x497
>>29984172
Exactly, again, already a high end .380 non-pocket pistol, they should go all the way and make it the highest end, compete with the Browning Black Label .380

Some old lady could easily operate a gun like this, and it would have some firepower to it.

Also as a side thing, .380 is subsonic in factory loadings, so should that Hearing Protection act go through, one of these with a silencer would be easy to control and handle, powerful enough, and most of all, quiet, so you aren't deafened if you have to take a shot indoors.
>>
>>29984235
That is sexy man
>>
File: mini.jpg (64 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
mini.jpg
64 KB, 550x400
>>29982965
84 on the left
The 84 is slightly smaller than the mak in terms of width and height, but .24 " wider resulting in a comfyier grip
>>
>>29984294
length and height*
>>
>>29984294
Length and Height
>>
>>29978947

Slightly unrelated, I'm looking for a good gun for a concealed ankle holster and was wondering if you guys like the compact .380's? It would be the backup to my normal CC for business in diverse neighborhoods.
>>
File: atf2.jpg (180 KB, 901x675) Image search: [Google]
atf2.jpg
180 KB, 901x675
>>29984325

I have a PPK in .380 that I use for that purpose. I originally bought it as a range toy, but it ended up my summer carry and occasional, once in a blue moon backup carry.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.