[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying a pre-assembled ar-15 upper (warning newfaggish)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
Hey /k/

So I completed my lower a few months ago and I got stuck when it came to buying the upper. Gun friend suggested I buy it pre-assembled to save money and time. My budget for the upper is around $500-$700 (slightly above $700 is fine)

My question is from your experiences, what's the best upper to get for the price? Is there any advantages to a gas system over a piston system? What are the differences in 1:7 to 1:8 twists? Should I be concerned if it's chrome lined?

The lower is a Anderson if anyone was curious with FDE handle (picture unrelated)
>>
>>29970658
Got my PSA freedom upper for $209. 1:8 twist barrel, 5.56. decent accuracy for the price.
>>
>>29970658
Go for piston if you can, it's generally more reliable and has to be cleaned less frequently. And for barrel twists you generally want to go for a higher number, ie 1:8 > 1:7, I think that's how it goes at least
>>
>>29970849
Thanks. That should help me some
>>
>>29971247
Best of luck m8
>>
Both of those are gas op
Get a standard DI because piston is pointless and a meme

Get 1:8
End of story

Nitride/melonite/isonite/etc is better because you don't change barrel dimensions and can make them more accurate

You should build because you'll get exactly what you want for less or pay the same and get a good barrel

>PWS barrel $300
>Samson handguard $200
>upper $40
>UPK $40
>Lantac Dragon $125
>AIM nitride bolt $90

That's $795 for a top tier barrel, top tier brake, and expensive handguard

Now take off money where you want
Get a J comp for $30 and now its $700
Get a $100 handguard and now its $600 and spend the rest on tools to build

If you have that kind of money to spend, don't skimp on a barrel
>>
>>29970849
Barrel twist is not purely higher ratio = best. You want a higher twist rate for a heavier bullet, for plinking it doesn't really matter, but it will make you lose accuracy to use too much twist on a light bullet or not enough on a heavier bullet.

Regarding DI vs Piston
Piston are generally more expensive but are more reliable, not to say that DI is unreliable.
>>
>>29972180
Came here to say pretty much this, though the PWS M4-72 is supposedly the best brake, a real one is $100 and a clone is available on amazon for $50

Or you can totally cheap out on your upper and pray it doesn't explode. That's what I did. Works great!
>>
>>29972251
It was in the straight recoil test, but wasn't tested for muzzle rise where the Lantac excells

That said, I haven't decided on which one I want
I wish I could test them first

I could always do the nigger option of buy from Brownells
They take anything back, even broken shit
>>
>>29972293
It's my first muzzle brake. I normally shoot AKs with no brake, and before I had three prong flash hider on my AR. When i put on my fake M4-72 I felt no recoil. At all. I know this is just personal, but I was able to rapid fire as many shots as I wanted to in pretty much the same area. It was unreal. Going from nothing to that was amazing.
>>
>>29972628
http://youtu.be/ze47IIJFceM

AR10 full auto no muzzle rise

Look up the Drakon one too
One handed Draco pistol no rise
>>
>>29970658
My suggestion is this:
PSA Premium 20'' CHF Rifle Length Upper - Without BCG or Charging Handle - 30796

wait until it comes back in stock ($399.99), and then go buy a Colt or LMT M-16 BCG and a DSA steel charging handle.

Normally I shit on PSA and their bottom of the barrel trash, however I make an exception for a few (read: under 5) of their products.
>>
>>29972826
>has $700+ to spend
>recommends bottom tier trash

See >>29972180

This is a build that will perform and people wont make fun of you for
>>
>>29970658
>My question is from your experiences, what's the best upper to get for the price?
In my experience the best quality to money ratio short of assembling your own seems to be a BCM URG when they are on sale including a BCG for a dollar or whatever.
>Is there any advantages to a gas system over a piston system?
Not really. Only insofar as they usually include a gas regulator or self regulate to some extent, can be useful if you shoot suppressed. The piston itself introduces a number of issues without really solving any supposed problems.
Proponents will argue it stays cleaner but the only surfaces it reduces fouling on are inside the bolt and most excess gas is vented out of the receiver by the bolt. Fouling in the receiver will largely be from blow back which a piston does not address.
>What are the differences in 1:7 to 1:8 twists?
1:7 twist is used by the military because it can stabilize long tracer rounds used by machine guns, it's an ammunition compatibility thing. 1:8 will improve compatibility with lighter bullets such as those used in m193. It's an ideal twist rate unless you intend on shooting only the longest heaviest bullets. There's a bunch of infographs out there with suggested twist:bullet pairings.
>>
>>29973405
>Should I be concerned if it's chrome lined?
Not really either way. Chrome is more corrosion resistant and is more durable under heat than steel but unless you intend on leaving it out in the weather with minimal care, will be regularly doing contact drills/other high intensity shooting, or intend to shoot primarily bi-metal jacketed bullets, I wouldn't stress over it. Generally speaking you won't make a meaningful dent in a barrel's lifespan unless you try to.
A well made steel bore will shoot a little better than chrome so if accuracy is a concern that's the way you should go. If durability is the primary concern and combat accuracy is acceptable, go chrome.
They aren't everywhere yet but there's a lot of hype around melonite/qpq/nitride, it's supposed to be harder and more corrosion resistant than chrome but as it is a chemical process it does not change the dimensions of the bore in application so you're supposedly getting the best of both worlds. I honestly don't know how much of the science lives up to the hype.
>>
>>29973417
Nitride is a heat treatment process that is equivalent or close to chrome, but very very marginally changes dimensions
Its a much better option
>>
>>29972826
Hey confirmed PSA shitter.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ept-moe-lower-build-kit-7780997.html

Any thing wrong with this?

I plan to get an upper from a non poorfag store. And have the Stripped lower in my possesion.

But PSA seems to be the only place(that i know of with my limited knowledge) with non premium all in one box lower parts kits.

I only am building a lower to understand the parts better and it seems like its not something i can fuck up. Just put some pins and springs in.

I dont need a full on top of the line gun.

Just want one before Trump gets stomped in the election and brings the Senate down with him.

Ie before hilary gets in office
>>
>>29970658
BCM or Aero Precision. If you're going with a 16" barrel get a midlength gas system, and unless you plan to suppress don't both with a piston AR. Either twist rate is fine, but 1:7 will allow you to shoot 80gr+ loads whereas 1:8 tops out at 75ish gr, but shoots 55 gr a bit better. You likely won't notice a difference, and 1:7 is most common nowadays. If you're just going to shoot whatever ammo is cheapest/most common, try to get a 1:8 as 55 or 62 grain is most common. Chrome lined is slightly less accurate, but more durable. Not an issue either way.

Ultimately:

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-556-16-mid-complete-upper.html with charging handle and BCG of your choice
or
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-w-p/bcm-urg-mid-16-kmr-a-13.htm with their BCG and charging handle
>>
Get the premium upper
Don't buy into the piston bullshit, it's not going to make your gun never have a failure, DI will do the same thing a piston does with less weight.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-cmv-cl-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html FN made barrel, a quality gun you can build on if you so choose
>>
>>29972180
I'm not OP but idk shit baout DI vs gas piston systems. Im about to make my own AR as well but was convinced gas pistons are better because ak always works. I could type more, but damnit /k/ hit me with the truth
>>
>>29974128
>>PWS barrel $300
>>Samson handguard $200
>>upper $40
>>UPK $40
>>Lantac Dragon $125
>>AIM nitride bolt $90
.308 upper parts plz.
>>
>>29974128
one was designed to use a gas piston
one wasn't and it was shoehorned in later
>>
>>29970658
Hardened Arms upper. Bought mine for $360 with bcg. Runs great and it looks really nice. Only problem is that it took 3 weeks to get here because of high order volume from their company.
>>
>>29974145
the one that was shoehorned in later became a legendary world class rifle.
>>
>>29974185
i'm assuming you mean the hk416 and that's only because it's hk and you could shit in a box with the hk label stamped on it and people would buy it
>>
>>29973763
Plz help
>>
Went to sleep figuring this would 404. Wake up to find more useful tips.
>>
>>29973763
PSA is not shit. It's what you pay for, no frills, nothing fancy, basic rifle. I doubt it's value will greatly appreciate over time, but if you want to get something to assuage your fears if being able to buy an AR-15, it's a good grab.

That said, I got my PSA complete lower for 159. Others said they got theirs for 129. If I were you, I would wait until memorial day weekend, since they normally have sales. Save your cash until May 30.
>>
>>29974220
If that piece of shit could fire 30,000 rounds with no failures, I'd love to have it.
>>
>>29973763
PSA triggers and hammers are out of spec
So much so that Mega says not to use them on the box

They work okay, but they're fairly trash compared to other offerings

Brownells has full metal tactical and that's pretty good
>>
>>29974144
I don't deal with 308 ARs
Too much proprietary shit
>>
A PSA dissipator would give you mid-length gas and rifle-length sight radius, and come assembled with a varitety of finishes and handguard styles
>>
the photo looks like where im at right now except my parts kit was missing the damn disconnector.
>>
>>29972180
mostly this except id go with chrome lined if youre not doing a precision build.
>>
>>29974128
the truth is, youre making your rifle noticeably heavier and more complicated for a marginal increase in reliability.
>>
What'should a good NATO sized muzzle device? I'm looking for something that would still allow me to use a bayonet on my AR and use suppressors that mount onto A2 flash hiders.
>>
Did you need to buy a quad-rail just to put attachments on or can you just use a MOE handgard with picatinny rails?
>>
>>29975744
>PSA triggers and hammers are out of spec

out of mil spec?

I dont need a fancy trigger. i dont care about break, or mushyness or whatever.

I just want it to go bang every time i yank on it.

Hammer out of spec? will that lead to light strikes on the primer?
>>
>>29977316
Isonite is just as good as chrome and more accurate

chrome is outdated and for cheap barrels
>>
>>29978848
No I mean fucked up

I worked on a guys and you couldn't engage the safety because it wasn't even concentric
>>
>>29978848
Forgot to add

Hammers shouldn't have problems
I cut the tail off of mine to make it a speed hammer (reduce lock time increasing practical accuracy) and it hasn't had a single light strike
>>
>>29980965
Except he's on a budget and the only thing wrong with chrome is that it's marginally less accurate.
>>
File: 1.jpg (10 KB, 285x249) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
10 KB, 285x249
>>29981115
That guy quite clearly outlined an upper with a top tier accurate barrel within budget and you're telling him to skimp and by chromeshit

Come on nigga
>>
>>29981178
Where did he Say he wanted a top tier accurate barrel?
>>
>>29972691
wtf is this wizardry fluid dynamics fags plz explain this
>>
>>29981401
Why would you cheap out on an inaccurate barrel if you have the money to get a good one?

That's like saying you have $80,000 to spend on a car so you bought a used Dodge Stratus because "OP didn't say he wanted a sports car"
>>
>>29981538
Its just a good properly tuned brake
>>
>>29981604
He's on a budget and Its not a very practical difference in accuracy. There's no reason to blow most of his money on a barrel that's only going to give him 1/5 inch moa difference, which he clearly doesn't have the practice to use effectively anyway.
>>
>>29981657
>He's on a budget

That barrel puts his upper within budget
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.