[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
M8 Rifle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: Xm8_sideview.jpg (19 KB, 500x224) Image search: [Google]
Xm8_sideview.jpg
19 KB, 500x224
What went wrong? I thought that this was going to be the new standard battle rifle.
>>
File: 1450565117836.gif (945 KB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
1450565117836.gif
945 KB, 200x180
it literally flopped
>>
It wasn't a sufficient improvement over the AR platform to justify the expense of replacement.
>>
>>29957153

It didn't have the lobbying power.
>>
>>29957270
Which is why we'll never see a replacement for the AR until after we develop man-portable & reliable laser/plasma/Gauss technology.
>>
>>29957300

No, we just need rifle makers to get more lobbying power.
That's what actually determines what's adopted.
>>
>>29957300
Quite likely. The design is very mature and has become increasingly cost-effective.
>>
>>29957308
The Armalite is pretty much the pinnacle of weapons design. The only thing to improve upon is materials at this point. The only real improvement would to cut down the bolt carrier to add a folding stock.
>>
>>29957416

>The Armalite is pretty much the pinnacle of weapons design.

Then why does it lose to almost every other gun in every Army trial?
>>
>>29957449
It doesn't?
>>
>>29957489

Show me one Army trial where it wasn't outperformed by other rifles.
>>
>>29957507
The XM8 trial.

Performance is not /just/ accuracy.
>>
>>29957517

In what way was the AR not outperformed?
>>
>>29957525
Okay, I take it back. The XM8 was generally slightly better. Not better enough to justify the cost of replacing every M4 and M6 in the army with it though which is the key point. Small arms have hit a plateau in terms of internal design. The money it would cost to replace the AR platform would be better spent on almost anything else.
>>
>>29957557

Hence why rifle makers need more lobbying power to replace the AR.
What part of this is causing you difficulty?
>>
>>29957578
Why replace the AR though?
>>
>>29957584

Because rifle makers want to replace it so they can make money.
>>
>>29957592
How much do they pay you to make these threads, anon?
>>
>>29957525
>>29957507
>>29957489
The M4 needs a variety of improvements
>New operating system that doesn't soil the gun and make the bolt carrier heat up faster than it should
>design that allows for a folding stock
>free floated barrel
>ability to fire when very wet
>>
>>29957619

I didn't make this thread.
All I've done is answer your questions.
>>
>>29957153
>H&K
>>
>>29957622
Indeed, it could certainly benefit from a short stroke gas piston design. However, would the money spent on implementing such a design (or adopting a new rifle) have more of an impact in combat if it were to be spent on aircraft, artillery or squad weapons? I say probably. Gone are the days where just having a semi auto provides the GI with a significant advantage over enemy grunts; small arms design has plateaued hard and the benefits of these, comparatively minor, improvements do not outweigh the opportunity costs.
>>
>>29957270
came to post this
>>
>>29957674

>However, would the money spent on implementing such a design (or adopting a new rifle) have more of an impact in combat if it were to be spent on aircraft, artillery or squad weapons?

But that has nothing to do with how the military spends their money.
It's all about lobbying.
How many ways do I have to explain this?
>>
>>29957300
>"I don't think about the shit i say before i say it": the post
>>
>>29957693
It's irrelevant. We're past the point of answering OP's question. Heck, OP probably knew the answer was 'money' in the first place. It always is. Now we're asking what sort of performance improvements would justify the expense of upgrading or replacing the basic service rifle.
>>
>>29957717

It's not irrelevant.
It's the answer to OP's question.

>What went wrong?
It didn't have enough lobbying power.
You've been arguing about cost/benefit shit.
THAT'S what's irrelevant, because it has nothing to do with decision making by the military.
>>
File: xm8.jpg (23 KB, 600x301) Image search: [Google]
xm8.jpg
23 KB, 600x301
>>29957731
Wow so cynical. Man you must get laid at least twice a year.

Seriously though. OP knew the answer was money from the beginning. That's boring though.

New question:

What went wrong, technically? I thought that this was going to be the new standard battle rifle.
>>
File: xm8.webm (922 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
xm8.webm
922 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>29957760

>Seriously though. OP knew the answer was money from the beginning.

IT'S NOT MONEY
IT'S LOBBYING

IF H&K HAD THE LOBBYING POWER OF LOCKHEED MARTIN, THEY COULD GET US TO ADOPT ANY SHIT THEY WANTED
>>
>>29957783
The fuck do you think lobbying is?
>>
Lobbying power wasn't the issue, the rifle just not being a big enough improvement was.
If the rifle was substantially better than the M16 the military would have adopted it then the lobbying would come into play when it came time to award the manufacturing contract.
>>
>>29957791

Convincing people to spend money.
>>
>>29957622
Let me guess, you think DI 'shits where it eats'?
>>
>>29957883
And how might you go about doing that, my man? By appealing to their better nature?
>>
>>29957840

>implying the government cares about actual improvements
>>
>>29957891

Now you want me to explain how lobbying works?

No, you want me to say "money" so you can go "see money lol I win"

But anyone paying attention would realize that when you said "money" you were talking about cost/benefit
>>
Its because the AR-15 and the M4 Carbine are the most cost effective weapons platforms available.

MOD will not justify spending $2500+ on cosmetic replacements for $1200 weapons systems.
>>
>>29957911
You've already said money. I won before you even started, kiddo.

I know how lobbying works, I'm not sure you do though since you genuinely seem to think there is no promise of profit involved.

Nothing personnel.
>>
>>29957760

It's a G36 with different furniture.

Despite #polymer, it was heavy as shit.

Doesn't have rails in the basic design. Adding in rails made the damn thing even heavier.

It's vaunted "reliability advantage" mostly dissappeared once the army got competent testers instead of fucktards who don't know that M4 has a burst function.
>>
>>29957153
Looks like a pontoon boat and a kayak fucked and birthed this abomination. Yeah, nah.
>>
>>29957772
fuck dude please tell me the blood was only from the fish
>>
>>29957622
>New operating system that doesn't soil the gun and make the bolt carrier heat up faster than it should
Like an internal piston system that feeds gas into a sealed chamber and vents it out the exhaust port, like on all AR-10/15 pattern rifles?
>design that allows for a folding stock
Pointless and unnecessary.
>free floated barrel
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/upper-parts/handguards-rails/free-float.html
>ability to fire when very wet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMZ4iP12S64

Get off the memes, kid.
>>
>>29957693
>HURRR MUH MIC CORRUPTION DURR!
>>
>>29957911
>Now you want me to explain how lobbying works?
I would like to hear what you think it is, because you clearly think it's magical.
>>
>>29957760
>Man you must get laid at least twice a year.

Yeah twice as much as you Dickstein
>>
>>29958270
Hasn't your mother called you to dinner yet?
>>
>>29957153
Melts and proprietary attachment system that was banking on replacing picatinny rail system.

Outside of that it performed better than m4 mostly due to its gas piston operating system.
Considering that we have both the HK416/17 and the FN SCAR-H (plus 5.56 kit) rifles available for the U.S military, the xm8 was kinda pointless.
>>
>>29958313
No but your mom called me for the sausage sandwich surprise you cocksniffer.
>>
>>29958469
And here we see how, when presented with facts and knowledge, the hater reverts into mindless insult mode rather than face that he could be wrong.
>>
>>29957153
>What went wrong?

Nothing

It's being used by one of Malay SOF groups

But then again, they buy anything and everything
>>
>>29958270
2 times 0 is 0 fuck face
>>
>>29957416

Then why doesn't every country use them?
>>
>>29958593
>three different rifles
>zero parts compatibility between them
>okay, maybe changing handles and magazines for the fishgat and kraut spess gun

Jesus christ Malaysia.
>>
File: m4isActuallyBreddyKewlGaise.png (738 KB, 1214x3060) Image search: [Google]
m4isActuallyBreddyKewlGaise.png
738 KB, 1214x3060
>>29957507
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.