[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Black Powder guns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 770x373) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 770x373
Just got membership at an outdoor range that nobody goes to. Thinking of buying pic related as a range toy. Is it a fun gun? I've never had a black powder before.
>>
File: rem1858_armi_san_paolo.jpg (16 KB, 605x282) Image search: [Google]
rem1858_armi_san_paolo.jpg
16 KB, 605x282
>>29954245

The 1858 Remington repros are a bit easier to disassemble and clean.
>>
File: image:51048.jpg (154 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image:51048.jpg
154 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>29954259
What's the cost on the Remington? I was thinking the 1851 because at Cabela's right now it's like $130 with a coupon. Which is just mad mad cheap.
>>
File: dindu_powder.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
dindu_powder.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>29954245

get an uberti. Also - 1851 navy was never made in .44. If you're dead set on a navy, get a .36 (also my first BP, pic related)

Otherwise, if you want a .44, get a remington 1858, or Colt 1860 army.
>>
File: 59161200.1851navy_sm.jpg (271 KB, 800x351) Image search: [Google]
59161200.1851navy_sm.jpg
271 KB, 800x351
They're loads of fun, Got me a .44 navy a couple years ago been blasting shit since. it's my second favorite gun that i own. I even got a second navy in .36 to make a pair.

last october, i shelled out enough for a flintlock. Shit's pretty dope.

if you can get your hands on it, i'd use real black powder though. Pyrodex is nasty shit regardless of what they put on their bottles. you'll also need decent chemicals to clean it up.

My flintlock doesn't work well with the substitutes and nobody sold the shit locally (like hell am i paying a 30 dollar hazmat fee to ship) so i bought the components separately and made my own. Found out all you need is soap and hot water to clean out black powder fouling.
>>
>>29954340
>if you want a .44
>Colt 1860 army

Eh, i really like the loading lever on the army, but i never liked the rounded barrel. much prefer the octagonal on the navy. even if it's ahistorical.

Otherwise, totally agree on Ubrerti, while piettas are nice, their dimensions are slightly off and the grip profile isn't all that amazing.
>>
I have red that stainless is easier to clean then the other finishes. Any truth to that?
Also is a 450 price tag for an 1858 uberti right?
>>
>>29954667
>I have red that stainless is easier to clean then the other finishes.

Eh, stainless isn't actually stainless, it's just stain resistant. a thousand rounds later you'll start to see noticeable darkening.
>>
Don't get Pietta. I got one of their 1860's and the fucking locking slots on the cylinder have peened over, allowing the cylinder to rotate at full cock. On top of that, the cylinder locking piece fucking broke. I'm lucky that I noticed the cylinder not being lined up before I shot it the last time I went to the range.

Keep in mind that I've only put about 30 rounds through it, if even that.

I plan on calling them up to get a replacement sometime soon.
>>
>>29954245

It takes a special kind of person to enjoy black powder revolvers. Loading is tedious and it takes me about 20 mins to load all six chambers. Still, every shot you take is immensely satisfying, far more so than a centerfire handgun. They can be accurate to surprising ranges and many states allow them for hunting. It's worth trying but trying to resell them is tough because the market it limited to old fudds.
>>
File: XP2610.jpg (145 KB, 500x401) Image search: [Google]
XP2610.jpg
145 KB, 500x401
>>29957357
>Loading is tedious and it takes me about 20 mins to load all six chambers.
Ever try paper cartridges?

I like using them in my navy, because i package them up like they did back in the old days and it makes me feel like a cowboy.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.