[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to get into handguns but follow up shots like you see
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 473x586) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 473x586
Trying to get into handguns but follow up shots like you see in competition seem impossible, so what's your personal tricks and routines you do to practice for quick, precise pistol shooting?
>>
>>29938128
Practice.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 286x613) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 286x613
>>29938128
Also interested in practical shooting too. I've read small bits but it sounds like the two grips to practice would be weaver/center axis close body shooting for indoors or inside of a car while isosceles would be best for inna woods/parking lot longer range situation. Thoughts?
>>
>>29938128
Using two hands is a good start.
>>
>>29938128
Use 2 hands, dipshit
Second, tighter grip

As Jerry Miculek put it, if your support hand doesn't hurt by the end of the day, it wasn't doing enough work
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 449x454) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 449x454
>>29938166
Speaking of, how do you hold an ar pistol without a "wrist brace"? Do you just hover just short of shouldering? Is putting both hands on the pistol grip ok?
>>
>>29938262
Are you fucking serious
This has to be ATF
>>
>>29938262

Go away ATF, you're terrible at trolling ppl.
>>
>>29938262
literally a non-issue unless you are filming yourself and even then that is just playing it safe.
>>
>>29938262
personally, if i ever used one - which i haven't - I just grab it and shoot it like a gun.
i can't speak for anyoen else tho
>>
I struggled for years with my shots going low when shooting fast. It's attributable to 3 things:

1. trying to force the gun back down into place after firing instead of letting it fall naturally to where it was.

2. Firing quickly, pulling the trigger quickly and too far back equates to jerking the trigger down.

3. Trying to look over the sights after or during the shots to see how you're hitting.
>>
>>29938128
Before shooting it's generally advisable to remove all nigger cocks out of your ass due to isosceles interference. All in all this is a great thread worthy of pondering ad nauseam
>>
i picked it up instantly from years of playing FPSs, sucks for you
>>
>>29938156

umm... no.

Isosceles is better.

here's a few videos i posted yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXNYJ3rDbz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wctcyewEZk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45QhpvY9LZc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXXuUzNcZ_o

there was a great Haley Strategic video that's been taken down that shows how much better recoil recovery is - how much faster and repeatable, and how much less the gun moves - with isosceles. your mobility is better. and unless you need to employ a gun while squeezing through a rock crevasse, isosceles is overall a superior stance in every metric.
>>
>>29942741
https://youtu.be/eNdI_CyiRZQ
>>
>>29942826

with respects to Col Cooper, he's going to advocate for weaver because he bought into it a long time ago.

weaver was the first two-handed stance. is it the best? no. we figured that out in the 70's and 80's. isosceles is easier to learn, easier to get right under stress, better range of motion, better for cross-dominant folks, has better mobility than bladed stances, and far better recoil recovery and control.
>>
Jeff Cooper was brilliant, but his discoveries are now fifty years old plus.

You'll probably revert to isoceles under stress, and my own work pretty much bears that out.

Center axis relock is for fags.

Center axis relock is all of the disadvantages of weaver with none of the advantages.

Postion Sul? Please.

You can only shoot fast and accurate if you can track that front sight.Follow that front sight through it's arc. When it's back in the A-Zone- press. Speed will come naturally- so get out there and compete.
Every practice session is a setback compared to actually competing and having your score posted where everyone can see it.

Have you joined a club? Shot a USPSA match? No? Afraid you'll suck? You'll never get better until you do.
>>
>>29943303

only things i'd disagree with here is that Position Sul has a (extremely specific and narrow) niche: if you're in a stack with an entry team with a handgun and you want a low ready that doesn't flag. not in that situation? don't use it. better yet, grab a long gun since doing room entries with a handgun without a shield is terrible.

also practice is what allows you to shoot well on Saturday. basic shit like reloading drills, movement drills, dryfire, etc.

otherwise you're spot on.
>>
>>29942741
>there was a great Haley Strategic video that's been taken down that shows how much better recoil recovery is

was it specifically haley strategic or was it this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMzQIHN-LiI
>>
>>29938186
>>29938166
But who was camera
>>
>>29943606

Haley Strategic. Ron Avery went over it. i've seen links to it on other websites and that it's been deleted.
>>
>>29938262
Just shoulder it faggot.
>>
>>29943621

gopro or pivothead
>>
A bit unrelated, is there such thing as a gun too big for your hands? I've shot my P226 for about a year now and I can never hit dead center at 15 yards. I always pull to the left with consistent groups. I shot a shield for the first time and I was actually hitting dead center the whole time. I feel like I can't get 100% of a grip with my sig since my hands are so small.
>>
>>29943712

absolutely. that's why pistols have backstraps, the P320/P250 have interchangeable frames, and why SVI has interchangeable triggers for their 2011's. proper trigger reach allows for proper trigger control
>>
File: 1462121088514.webm (2 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1462121088514.webm
2 MB, 720x404
>>29938145
This.
>>
>>29938262
If this is a real question, being 100% autistic about the fleeting opinions of irrelevant government agencies who will never have the manpower to get involved in prosecuting or even investigating 99.9% of instances that could hypothetically be affected, the idea is to grip the weapon like a rifle with one hand on the pistol grip and the other on the handguards sans using your shoulder pocket. I don't know how that is difficult to figure out.
>>
>>29938145

For practice to do anything, you need to know what and how to practice
>>
>>29942741
Better than Weaver, not better than C.A.R QC
>>
>>29938128
I pretend that my target is shooting back at me.
>>
>>29938128
Don't be afraid of the gun. Better to develop solid technique on a .22 or 9mm than shoot .45 and have a terrible stance and flinch.

There was this video where somebody (hickok or miculek, maybe) said that you almost want to be leaning on the gun; feet like a conservative fighting stance, have your body bent forward at the hips, shoulders slightly rolled forward, head slightly leaned forward, shooting elbow locked, wrists locked, support arm kind of pulling back against your locked shooting arm.

the 'leaning' thing comes into play with your follow up shots, it's like the gun pushes you a bit and you just fall back into place (if that makes sense)
>>
>>29944333

the push pull thing is an outdated way of managing recoil.
>>
>>29944333
>>29944666
checked

eh, works for me. i basically do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJrA7wMXuuQ
>>
>>29944666
What's the modern method?
>>
>>29944698
>mass of slide moving causes recoil
It should counteract it if anything.
>>
>>29945148
Chest squeeze (basically like you're doing a pec fly) and arm rotation (try to turn the tops of your hands inwards as if you were trying to turn your palms down).

You can see Bob Vogel especially does the arm rotation thing. Skip to 3:20.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45QhpvY9LZc
>>
>>29945746

nope. less reciprocating mass and lighter springs = less felt recoil and less muzzle dip as you return to battery

>>29945789

yeah. i gave it a try and things clicked for me. my shooting got so much better it was crazy. been shooting pistols for like 10 years.
>>
>>29947689

Precisely. Yet over and over dildos move up from 16 lb springs in their 1911's or 18, 19#. That front sight dip gets harder to manage.
>>
>>29948837
>>29947689

yeah, to expand on this - you're right in one sense that mass will counteract recoil. however, it's not slide mass but frame mass that does so. mass in the frame will "soak up" recoil and lessen muzzle flip. mass in the slide will do the opposite. there's roughly three recoil impulses in a semi-automatic pistol's operation: the reactive impulse of the bullet leaving the barrel, the slide reaching its full rearward travel, and the dip as it returns to battery. the first one is lessened by higher overall mass. the second one is lessened by lightening your slide. the third is lightened by running the minimal spring weight needed to make your gun work and lightening your slide.
>>
>>29949325
here with some slomo of what i'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3UVLm2GajI
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.