[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This guy right here >Marine Corps Lieutenant General Paul
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: PKVanRiper_USMC.jpg (237 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
PKVanRiper_USMC.jpg
237 KB, 800x1000
This guy right here
>Marine Corps Lieutenant General Paul K. Van Riper
>Millennium Challenge 2002 war game
>USA plays as Blues, Riper takes Reds (everything points to Iran)
>USA has all the bells and whistles of cutting edge technology
>Riper fucks them up majorly
>Reds adopted an asymmetric strategy, in particular, using old methods to evade Blue's sophisticated electronic surveillance network. Van Riper used motorcycle messengers to transmit orders to front-line troops and World-War-II-style light signals to launch airplanes without radio communications.
>Red received an ultimatum from Blue, essentially a surrender document, demanding a response within 24 hours. Thus warned of Blue's approach, Red used a fleet of small boats to determine the position of Blue's fleet by the second day of the exercise. In a preemptive strike, Red launched a massive salvo of cruise missiles that overwhelmed the Blue forces' electronic sensors and destroyed sixteen warships. This included one aircraft carrier, ten cruisers and five of six amphibious ships. An equivalent success in a real conflict would have resulted in the deaths of over 20,000 service personnel. Soon after the cruise missile offensive, another significant portion of Blue's navy was "sunk" by an armada of small Red boats, which carried out both conventional and suicide attacks that capitalized on Blue's inability to detect them as well as expected.
>the exercise was stopped, the Blue demanded Reds to use radar, reveal their positions and whatnot
>250 million $ worth of exercises and military manuevers all turned into farce, because Blues thought this was "unfair".

Our man here was ridiculed.
>>
>>29934356

>10,000lb missiles being launched from RHIB boats
>motorcycle messengers travel at speed of light

Van Riper was asshurt and wasted millions in tax dollars by fucking up an exercise to try to prove a point.
>>
>>29934356
He is assuming an nation like Iran would use suicide attacks, I don't fucking think so.
>>
The Millenial Challenge pissed off the Bush Administration something fierce. They tried to bury the results because it had major implications for their foreign policy.

Also bureaucracy, both political and military, is usually playing catch up with changing conditions.
>>
>>29934419
You're assuming it's Iran as was everyone else according to OP's story. Wargames don't have direct association with countries.
>>
>>29934407
It all happened because he was snubbed from becoming Marine Commandant. So he got mad and decided 'fuck what the exercise is actually about, I'll show them!'

>>29934452
Nothing in this post is true.
>>
>>29934471

It was actually "Israel". They were modeling the most advanced Middle Eastern state that they could.

Now, granted, Iran has a lot of tech equivalent to what Israel has through backdoor dealings.
>>
>>29934474

Oh, so military bureaucracy is agile and quick? Oh man, I had no clue!
>>
Dude was an egotist, he wanted to win an excercise meant to see if a computer system operated correctly.
>>
>>29934407
I demand someone debunk this criticism, because I share it

>implying rip wasn't getting wins by fucking with technicalities in the rule system
>>
>>29934517
It also had to do with the fact that the exercise had nothing to do with the defensive capabilities or tactics of a fleet. It was about interoperability and C4 systems.
>>
>>29934528
lol

it's time to advance the US c4 system back to bin laden messenger tech
>>
>>29934356

The Blues did have a point. As much as you need to be prepared for unexpected tactics, Van Riper was doing things like launching cruise missiles from boats that were physically too small to hold them. There's cunning sucker punches, and then there's God Mode.
>>
ITT retards who think military exercises are about "winning" or "losing"
>>
>>29934541
k keep me posted
>>
>>29934552

Half the people here have basically said that anon.
>>
>>29934552
The Wargame itself was poorly designed if it allowed him to get away with such things.

I'm more mad about all that tax money being pumped into simulations like these that do not realistic simulate actual conditions.
>>
Red Team rules!

Suck it Blues!
>>
ITT: we brainstorm how red could riper blue without breaking all the rules

-bring back XMAS guided torpedo except make them nuclear
-do the iranian hostages thing
-perform a localized EMP with nukes to knock out fleet capacity
>>
>>29934356
>USA blue
>Ripper = reds

Who is USA exactly? Because the Marine general is USA.
>>
>>29934616
>I am mad an exercise did not simulate things that had no relevance to the purpose of the exercise
>>
>>29934734
a general rule of simulation is you can't isolate anything without compromising the system. Or stuff like this happens
>>
>>29934647
Good one sarge!
>>
>>29934723
yes, but for a game you need OPFOR. I'd imagine he was in a G-2 position when tasked with playing the "reds"
>>
>>29934734
>I am mad an exercise did not simulate things that had no relevance to the purpose of the exercise

Then the programming should not have allowed Van Riper to do it in the first place if it wasn't relevant.

Sounds like a half-baked simulation that was poorly coded. Still managed to eat millions of taxpayer dollars though.
>>
>>29934548
On top of that, Ripper had his forces essentially spawn on top of the Bluefor fleet and immediately engaged them. While defensive systems weren't being simulated.
>>
>>29934900
Speak to me like I'm 10. I don't understand what you said.
>>
>>29934474
>Also bureaucracy, both political and military, is usually playing catch up with changing conditions.
If you don't agree to this you have no experience in any governmental organisation.
>>
File: 1458159003840.jpg (17 KB, 225x240) Image search: [Google]
1458159003840.jpg
17 KB, 225x240
>>29935020
You need a team to fight against. So the guy dressed up in a bad guy costume and started barking orders against other Americans dressed up like bad guys.
Why did they pick this man as the commander?
Because he probably already was in charge of finding out what bad guys are doing all day. So he knew exactly how to behave as a bad guy.

Also, be kind to the ugly girls in your class. You'll reap what you sow!
>>
>>29935080
Lol thanks. Also I'm not 10 just never participated in war games or understood the terminology, there was a real war to prepare for back then.

What's a G-2?
>>
File: 1414806417983.jpg (85 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1414806417983.jpg
85 KB, 1280x720
>>29935106
>What's a G-2?
>>
>>29934647
>>29934870

Heh.
>>
>>29935162
I did. It's because he used Army lingo that I wasn't accustomed to hearing.

So Riper wouldn't of been a G-2 but perhaps the equivalent of one.
>>
File: 1462863643926.jpg (110 KB, 592x887) Image search: [Google]
1462863643926.jpg
110 KB, 592x887
>>29935106
He's likely stating that he is Intelligence, as in Military Intelligence. I'm not certain about the "G" part, since I was US Army not marines, but we used "S".

S-1: Personnel
S-2: Intelligence
S-3: Finance
S-4: Supply
S-5: ????
S-6: ground communications
>>
>>29935212
>>29935185
It's not army vs marines. The staff system is common; S denotes the staff of a field grade officer and G denotes the staff of a general officer. There's also a C and J identifier for combined (think NATO) and joint (think the army and Air Force cooperating in something) staffs.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.