[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 19
>ctrl+f
>search "QTDDTOT" ( along with the full spelling ) and find nothing
>make this thread

Hey guys; I'm looking for an american-made knife I can EDC that'll primarily be used in life-threatening situations. So far I've been looking at pic related and Benchmade Triage series along with next pic related as they are the closest I could find to what my ideals are. Ideally I want the knife to be capable of cutting seat belts and breaking glass that also a pointed blade ( no Sheepsfoot or O.B. ) for use in self-defense with a blade length of no more than 2.49 inches ( which has been the biggest challenge along with being American made ( I'm open to some other countries but want to avoid China and some others ). I understand I'll have to compromise somewhere and I'm hoping /k/ ( with a community of Leo and understand the rules of their area and other areas ) can help me out.
>>
File: csar_responder.jpg (56 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
csar_responder.jpg
56 KB, 1000x667
pic related to >>29925656
>>
>>29925656
I don't know any specific models, but I know it's a hot item at marine supply stores because "deck knives" are a thing, intended for cutting straps and lines in dangerous situations like someone getting caught in a bite or a cable getting strained faster than you can untie it. So yeah. Try the boat store
>>
>>29925656
why such a short blade? the Contego is great, but it's way outside of that parameter

could you stomach having a separate rescue tool to your knife?

why do you want a knife for self defense, and why the fuck would you want one that's less than 2.49 inches. the most important thing about a self defense weapon is the amount of reach it gives you over an opponent, at least as far as hand to hand goes.
>>
>>29925739
2.5 inches is the maximum blade length for concealed carry w/o permits where I live. I'd have no problem having a different rescue tool but I'd ideally like it all in one package. I'm actually thinking of trying to design my own knife similar to Buck's Alpha Crosslock but giving it a look similar to their 110 with the rear bolster being a glass-breaker.

As far as reach goes I agree range is important but my knife is going to be a last resort. I have other measures set up to prevent myself from getting into fights in the first place such as always having a flashlight to shine into black holes so I can avoid trouble. I agree with you about the Contego and feel the Buck/Tops colab CSAR is great for the same reason ( along with the fact it takes a huge sum of abusive beating to wreck it ) but still want to give my hand at finding something smaller.
>>
File: 20160418_222724.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160418_222724.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>29925841
Contego is a pretty big knife. its 4th from the left in pic related. 2nd from right is the only blade that is under 2.5"
>>
Has anyone used gunprodeals .com? I found a gun I want on there, but I've never hear of them and can't find any reviews?
>>
File: lENBlJFl.jpg (18 KB, 640x306) Image search: [Google]
lENBlJFl.jpg
18 KB, 640x306
I feel like this thread will die because you started with knives.
>>
File: IMG_1919.jpg (825 KB, 848x1136) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1919.jpg
825 KB, 848x1136
i love mine but the price is pretty hefty
>>
Should I get a Springfield Champion Operator or an Aimpount T-1?
>>
File: IMG_20160512_182825268.jpg (4 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160512_182825268.jpg
4 MB, 2432x4320
How do I get cosmoline of of a bayonet?
>>
File: Ha1.png (441 KB, 361x407) Image search: [Google]
Ha1.png
441 KB, 361x407
>>29928208
elbow grease
>>
is this any good

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-Knife-Tool-2903/dp/B001BGCM3K?SubscriptionId=AKIAIRD5VDUDQCAIBE4Q&tag=mtjs-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001BGCM3K
>>
>>29928208
A lot of people do the garbage bag + towel + sunlight/inside of a car trick, and they do that for rifles.

You're dealing with a much smaller problem, so you should be done a lot faster.
>>
Looking to buy a machete, for the exact purposes a machete is made for.

What are some good brands? I know that full tangs are generally better, but I want some names dropped.
>>
Why do some people include alcohol in their bug out bags? By that I mean liquor, the kind of alcohol that you drink.

I get that you can use alcohol to sterilize/sanitize/disinfect, as well as start fires, but isopropyl alcohol probably does those things way better than liquor can.

I also get that you can drink liquor, but that sounds like a very impractical thing to do during a survival situation (but what do I know).
>>
File: PWS-5KMR1121-2.jpg (160 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
PWS-5KMR1121-2.jpg
160 KB, 900x600
just picked up a pws 12' keymod rail for 160 bucks howd i do /k/
>>
Can a non firing Sten gun receiver be salvaged and combined with an Apex kit? I want to build but don't have the means to make a receiver from scratch.

Also any experience making legal SMGs?
>>
I notice that when it comes to quality knives, people generally recommend very plain or boring looking knives. "Fudd" knives, if you will.

Many people seem to regard the cool, tactical-looking blades as cheap junk, and they're probably right for the most part. I'm sure a page from the BudK or Cold Steel catalog can generate a few keks.

But are there any tacticool knives that are practical and sexy?
>>
>>29929474
atf get out
>>
Is racking the slide using the rear slide a bad idea?
>>
>>29925656
You aren't trained with a knife. Buy a gun. You are going to pull out your knife to 'defend' yourself like a moron and get charged with attempted murder after you get your ass beat.
>>
I really like the contego for it's grip, edge and lock, but it fails your length requirement and it's certainly not the fastest. Bechmade axis spring assist are what you want to look at if you're trying to keep it legal everywhere. They're some of the fastest spring assists on the market.
As for trusting countries usa is first choice, but japan, italy, czech republic, and even some tiawan knives are alright. If you get a chance to examine before purchase make sure the blade has very limited if any play.
Also if you plan on stabbing you want a good locking device. Nothing that can fold easy. Basically rule out lock backs, liner locks, and frame locks. Benchmade spring assists have a second lock which is perfect for this.
>>
>>29929474
>making legal SMGs
There is no such thing in 'murica unless you're a class 2 SOT, which you obviously are not.
>>
>>29929294
To stave off the DTs
>>
>>29928382
I bent the shit out of my gerber
Bumping for replies on this
>>
File: rps20160319_084601.jpg (108 KB, 812x752) Image search: [Google]
rps20160319_084601.jpg
108 KB, 812x752
>>29929667

Idk...I buy based on it filling a role no other does. Why stop at one or two, knives have countless uses beyond self defence.
>>
How can I get a switch blade in a gay euro country that bans them? I need one for muh rockabilly.
>>
File: 2529460_121230205909_DPP_0048.jpg (40 KB, 500x263) Image search: [Google]
2529460_121230205909_DPP_0048.jpg
40 KB, 500x263
so i am offered to buy a Gerber Mark II and a Sekizo machette (pic related)

i'm not really familiar with blades, so could you help me out? are they worth it?
>>
>>29932812
You don't need one
>>
>>29932185
>Stabbing
Nigger detected

Knives are not stabbing weapons, they are cutting tools.
Maybe you want a dagger?
>>
>>29932226
how are those griptillians treating you? I want to get one for myself but cant decide which blade profile I want.
>>
suppose you got pic related and sawed down the barrel, but you removed the stock. would it still be an SBR?
>>
File: SLR104-54_LFT.jpg (52 KB, 777x305) Image search: [Google]
SLR104-54_LFT.jpg
52 KB, 777x305
like a dumb I forgot the pic
>>
Vepr or PTR-91?

Vepr is cheaper, ammo is cheaper, has better ergonomics (imo) and has a superiour scope mounting system (gonna catch flak for this I bet)

PTR-91 has better aftermarket,

However, while .308 is generally considered superior to x54r, I can't find reliable information about the accuracy of each rifle.

I'm obviously leaning towards the Vepr, but if the PTR-91 is measurably more accurate I'll shell out for it instead.
>>
>>29933375
Can't go from rifle to pistol.
>>
>>29933395
gay, thanks anyways
>>
>>29933403
You can buy the pistol version and later SBR it if you want. You can send the action off to a few different places to have the folding mechanism installed.
>>
>>29932185
i hate how cheap AKC's look. People talk about them like they have some quality to them but to me they look like cheap swap meet knives. Do they even sell models that don't have stock images printed onto their plastic bodies?
>>
>>29933362
Not him but I'm rocking a full size griptilian 550 with the sheepsfoot blade, no serrations. I absolutely love it. Its super light weight in the pocket, the axis lock is smooth as butter, and it feels great in the hand. Seriously considering buying a g10 grip mini as well.
>>
>>29925656
What does qdtdtdtqtd mean
>>
>>29933516
It means "I spent over a hundred bucks on a benchmade but still don't know why half serrations suck"
>>
>>29933480
any noticeable difference between the drop-point and sheeps foot? I'm looking for no serrations also.
>>
>>29933516
qtddtot = questions that don't deserve their own thread. ignore >>29933556 as I have NOT spent any money on a Benchmade just yet.

>>29932185
Thanks for the advice.

>>29932941 Valid point.

>>29926245
Yeah; having a pretty difficult time. Can I ask you for the name of the blade that is second from the right?
>>
File: benchmade-550bkhgod-griptilian.jpg (31 KB, 400x450) Image search: [Google]
benchmade-550bkhgod-griptilian.jpg
31 KB, 400x450
>>29933570
None that I have seen other than personal preference. Me and a buddy got ours at the same time and he went with the drop point (no serrations) and he loves it.
>>
>>29933601
Well then theres still time to stop yourself from making a terrible decision! serrations serve no purpose on a pocket knife and are a pain in the ass to sharpen. The only exception i can logically come to are full serrated rescue blades intended for specific purposes.
>>
>>29933621
sweet, i'm on the website and I noticed that I can custom make one. Almost tempted to add a meme on it.
>>
>>29933694
lmfao you will regret it if you do. its an insanely nice knife. They are on bladehq for like 110 right now with free shipping, im not sure how much they are charging on their own website though.

Im not sure exactly which model ur looking at, but the 550's come with glass reinforced polymer handles, only the later models come in g10 i think. But you can always get g10 scales for like 80 bucks later on if you go with a 550.
>>
>>29932941
What is stiletto
What is automatic
What is balisong
>>
>>29932913
Mk2 is well-regarded but that machete is complete shit. I'd go with a Cold Steel sword machete or similar functional wakizashi if you must satisfy your inner weeaboo.
>>
File: 930.jpg (6 KB, 618x343) Image search: [Google]
930.jpg
6 KB, 618x343
Dear /k/,

I'm in the works of preparing my pre-summer purchase. Do you think I should upgrade my 10/22 with a stock and timney trigger group, or get a shotgun so i can shoot some clays? The 10/22 is the only gun I own right now.

For the shotgun I was thinking about a mossberg 930 (pic related). I have done a fair amount of research on it and it seems like a pretty good buy, although I am open to other suggestions. I have firmly decided on an automatic though. I could save up for a few months and get a benelli super black eagle 2 ($2500CDN v. ~$750 CDN for the 930), but I want to get a jump on the season and I'm hesitant to put a ton of money down while I'm still gittin' gud at shooting clays.
>>
>>29934919
Check out the Tec 12, I've heard good things about it.
>>
>>29932812
you're into rockabilly and you're calling something else gay?
wtf man
>>
>>29929667
>practical and sexy
EMERSON.
>>
Should I buy it guys? Is it worth it?
>>
Hey /k/, my LGS has a MAS 49 and a Hakim on sale for 450 and 550 respectively. Which one should I get?
>>
File: 1423643968862.jpg (59 KB, 428x600) Image search: [Google]
1423643968862.jpg
59 KB, 428x600
hey guys should I buy a zenith mp5k from Atlantic with this being the last day for the sale (save 200 duckets)?
>>
>>29933640
I 100% agree fully serrated blades, excluding rescue blades or blades made from H1, are a bad idea. With that said I don't think they are very hard to sharpen and CRKT actually makes a good ( one of the few "good" things they make along with the Obake and their t-hawks ) sharpener named after Tom Veff. I've used that on my serrations and have gotten them too sharp to touch.

>>29933739
Don't order a knife from the companies website unless you want to have it customized by the company. Usually knives are cheaper on Amazon, Walmart and other retailers and the only company I can think of being an exception to this is Opinel. I've found Opinel's cheaper on their websites ( both the EU and US ) than other mega-retailers and customization on Opinel knives are actually very generous for the price.

>>29929667
Benchmade and Emerson do okay work. TOPS are decent as well ( the buck/tops colab OP mentioned is nice too ) but don't get your hopes up too much.

If you want to dress up a normally "boring" knife take a look at Buck, Case, and similar knife companies. Boker has some nice looking items too but IDK if they are NEARLY as functional as they should be.

Worth noting you can have a custom-made Buck 110 with G10 grips and nickle bolsters made to give it a tactical feel.
>>
>>29929294
So that in case all is lost they can drink themselves to death.
>>
>>29936351
In a survival situation state-of-mind is everything. Some people take it as a sort of morale booster and others keep it as something they could trade for items they want.
>>
>>29936364
well that might be YOUR reason, I do it so I can drink myself to death. Guess I should've answered in first person
>>
File: Photo May 05, 9 44 26 PM.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Photo May 05, 9 44 26 PM.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>29936059
yes i got mine and its awesome, pic related
>>
>>29936391
Damn that is nice. I would SBR one but I don't live in a free state. I'll probably AOW though. This is after I bought a skorpion too
>>
>>29936421
Get a 'stabilizing brace'
>don't shoulder me bro
>>
A friend of mine is looking to buy a Lee Enfield, preferably a mk. III, and there's an Ishapore enfield at a local shop he noticed. I've been doing some research for him on the rifles to make sure he can get something decent and what I've found concerning Ishapores is that the only ones worth their salt are the unmodified pre-independence models that are stamped GRI. We're going in tomorrow to give it another look but he says he remembers a GRI stamp and that it was dated 1943, he hadn't checked/couldn't remember the serials. I'm just wondering if he'd be better off to keep looking for a Lithgow or one of the ones made at home or if an Ishapore made while still under British guidance with British tools can be just as good as any other mk. III

PS, he said it was labeled as being chambered in .303 as well
>>
File: 1433525967329.jpg (66 KB, 680x718) Image search: [Google]
1433525967329.jpg
66 KB, 680x718
>>29936462
I know i'm spending 1500 on a turkshit clone but do I really want to spend another 200 on a brace with a shit OAL of pull?
>>
>>29936462

Getting an AR buffer tube adapter for the scorpion. How would putting a rifle length tube work though?
>>
>>29933601
>the blade that is second from the right?
it's a Kershaw Cyro (not the Cyro 2 which is larger)
>>
>>29925656
I'm leaving for new Orleans next weekend for a funeral. My carry gun is being serviced, and the only other handgun around the house is in my sister's name. I'll be in the french quarter for 3 weeks, and I'll be spending almost 6 days in the lower 9th quarter, so you can understand why I want to be safe.
Do you guys have any recommendation of something I could get to carry with me down there? I live in illinois, so finding something could be a little difficult, but I'd be down for anything unconventional or improvised, as long as it works and won't get me butt fucked by uncle sam.
>>
What's a good price for a used marlin 60?
>>
>>29925656 benchmade is the right tool for the job, the pic related you have would make a excellent carry, i will be purchasing a crooked river family benchmade, because i was amazed with my previous benchmade, the nimravus. no doubt worth the money
>>
File: Pocket_sand.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Pocket_sand.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
this was in the QTDDTOT, but I thought it might help others if I made a thread.

I'm leaving for new Orleans next weekend for a funeral. My carry gun is being serviced, and the only other handgun around the house is in my sister's name. I'll be in the french quarter for 3 weeks, and I'll be spending almost 6 days in the lower 9th quarter, so you can understand why I want to be safe.
Do you guys have any recommendation of something I could get to carry with me down there? I live in illinois, so finding something could be a little difficult, but I'd be down for anything unconventional or improvised, as long as it works and won't get me butt fucked by uncle sam.
>tl;dr, I love my sister, but I don't want to get murder robbed or mugged just to attend her funeral.
>>
>>29937353
Can't you go to your lgs and get a cheap carry pistol like an lc9?
>>
>>29937353

what happened to your sister
>>
>>29938134
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.