[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else forget to put ears on and monumentally fuck up their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: ear-pain.jpg (20 KB, 413x290) Image search: [Google]
ear-pain.jpg
20 KB, 413x290
Anyone else forget to put ears on and monumentally fuck up their hearing while shooting?

Seriously worried that the damage is permanent, the ringing stopped after about four hours but everything is muffled still, 21 hours later
>>
Now the gift of the eternal reeeeeeee will never leave you
>>
>>29918488
Might want to go to an ear doctor buddy, that sounds like you might have fucked yourself up a bit.

>>29918519
Tinnitus is just your guns way of saying she loves you and never wants you to forget her.
>>
>>29918488
Learn to live with it. Wear ear pro next time, sleep with some noise going on in the background. Don't search webMD because you already have cancer.
>>
>>29918539
I'm going tomorrow morning, but they will probably just tell me to wait a while and see if it goes away.

>>29918543
Fuck man, music is one of the only things in the world that I like, the idea of never being able to hear the same way is a huge bummer
>>
Most of it will probably come back in a couple of days, hopefully at least. The "blown speaker" effect like that can last for a couple of days like you describe. I guess you're lucky the ringing left, if it's what bothered you more, my muffled feeling dissipated after a few days but I can still hear the ringing like it happened yesterday.
>>
Yup. Shot a lot of service rifle matches (200, 300, 600 yards) with a stock AR or a Garand.

Lots-of-fun.jpg

Then that one time I forgot my ears and ear plugs back at the line. Fuck! Even though I was in the pits pulling/marking targets, the muzzle cracks sounded like they were 25 yards away. My ears hurt like hell for days. Ended up shoving some spent 308 brass in my ears.

Didn't do any good.

Still have ringing in the ears 15 years later.

On the plus side that shooting helped me get two CMP Garands: a Sept '41 Springfield (rebuilt twice) and an Oct '54 HRA (mint).
>>
>>29918488
Probably fucked up my buddies gf's ears.

>be me
>shooting nugget with friend and his gf
>we have ear plugs, but give the lady the over-the-ear muffs
>she shoots nugget
>all is well
>hands me back nugget
>buddy and gf move behind me
>gf starts fucking with ear pro because her hair got caught in the band on the ear muffs
>I am unaware of this
>she untangles her hair/ear pro, but does not immediately put it back on
>I take nugget
>raise glorious force of Ivan to shoulder
>yell something retarded like "contact!"
>fire based mosin

>"hey dude, what the fuck!?"
>turn around
>girl is in a state of reeeeeeeee
>"uhh... sorry."
Maybe you shouldn't have stood 5 feet behind a person with a loaded mosin and took your headset off? Duh bitch.
>>
I've hunted many times with no hearing protection with an m44 and 7.62x39 rifles. I've had an m44 muzzle blast go off 2 feet from my head while spotlighting and I've fired my 10in mosin nagant with muzzle brake with one ear plug out. The 10in barrelled mosin was probably the worst Nowadays I have slight "eeeeeeeeeeeeee" but only notice it when in dead silence or an eeeeeeeeeee thread comes up.
>>
>>29918554
Uh yeah that's probably exactly what they'll tell you, because you should wait. It's much too early to make an accurate diagnosis in a case like this. Don't panic, you should start to regain hearing soon as long as you didn't keep shooting after you realized you didn't have your ears in.
>>
>>29918488
quit being a little bitch. unless you fired right next to your ear or spent thousands of rounds without ear protection, its nothing permanent.
>>
>>29918727
also I just had a hearing test for the army and my hearing is fine. You will be fine OP, harden up youll be back to normal in a couple of days.
>>
>>29919242
Well it was about fourteen shooters all firing 5.56 at the same time, maybe about eight rounds total before I had time to put ears in
>>
>>29918488
>Anyone else forget to put ears on

yeah

>monumentally fuck up their hearing while shooting?

No
>>
File: 1461547656035-k.gif (973 KB, 361x203) Image search: [Google]
1461547656035-k.gif
973 KB, 361x203
How to soldiers deal with it? I never notice much ear protection but maybe I am just not looking hard enough.
>>
>>29918488
Rifles are fine, usually, for a shot or two. Pistols will fuck your shit up though.
>>
Next weekend I'll be going to the middle of nowhere in oklahoma to shoot in my buddies ranch. We'll be shooting from 9mm-12 gauge shotguns.

Neve shot outside before. Do you think ear protection is necessary if we're out in the open?
>>
>>29918727
I'm in the same boat. But like >>29919301 said, the army says my hearing is fine too. And I work around helicopters all day.
>>
File: vlc 2016-05-11 23-09-55-14.jpg (174 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
vlc 2016-05-11 23-09-55-14.jpg
174 KB, 1440x1080
If I can survive an M240 range when my earpro got snagged and popped out when I was adjusting, y'all will be fine.
>>
>>29919865
Yes. Guns are loud
>>
>>29919790
In the past thry just go deaf and have to put a horn in their ear.

Today basic grunts are issued ear plugs...up to them if they wear them, most spec ops use electronic ear muffs.

I imagine in the future all rank and file will have electronic ears.
>>
>>29919865
Yes, guns are still loud outside and worse inside.

Really the bane of guns have always been loud noise that can permanetly fuck you ever since the age of black powder to now.

Protect your hearing while you have it because when you lose it, you lost it for good.

Just think, some people who don't even have guns fuck themselves up by atanding near speakers at shows cranking it in their car or head sets and using power tools.
>>
>>29919924
It's all about the quality of life you want to have, bro.

Sure you'll survive without ear pro, but you'll start to sound like an old man eventually asking people to repeat themselves, or mis hear what they say...and of course at night when you are all alone in bed, lady eeeeeeeeeeeeeee will gently skull fuck you.

Also leave it to am army soldier to not be prepared and have back ups. Niggah even before I joined the Marines, I carried ear plugs with me as edc along with dental floss, a swiss army spartan, pen light and a foldable comb.
>>
>>29918488
This is why it's important to have gel cups or double up.
>>
>>29918488
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
I had a foam earplug not seal right a few years back, and was almost deaf in my right ear for a few days. It was back to normal within a week though.

I've never trusted foam plugs since, full muffs for pistols/indoor and Peltor plugs when the earmuffs get in the way with rifles.
>>
File: 8;02.jpg (26 KB, 553x351) Image search: [Google]
8;02.jpg
26 KB, 553x351
>>29919865
>Do you think ear protection is necessary if we're out in the open?

I really hope that wasn't a serious question.
>>
>>29919865
uhhh...i have a ranch in oklahoma and my buddy is coming over to shoot shit
>>
>>29919992
>and a foldable comb.

Why?
>>
>>29919962
>>29919937
>>29920019
Thanks. I'm new to all this. Last time they went, none of them wear any ear protection. I will take some ear plugs the very least then. Thanks for the heads up guys just needed to be sure
>>
EEEEEE stories?
>be 14 at time
>be with texan cousins
>shooting on land, shits cool
>earpro on
>I go inside for a break, take earpro off
>get lemonade, come back out
>everyone is just sitting and chilling
>don't put earpro on
>suddenly, a wild deer appears
>cousin grabs 30-06
>BOOM
>a foot next to my ear
>EEEEEEEEEEEEE
>screaming and crying because jesus christ i think my eardrums blew out
>are you okay a-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>fuuuck
>go inside
>clean up, go to bed, take nap
>have EEEEEE for the last 4 days of trip
>tinnitus ever since
>>
>>29920038
I have beautiful wavy hair and glorious beard.

I'd like to look groomed for the bitches.
>>
>>29919992
Earpro is a required EDC item dingus, as I said, it fell out and I spent the better part of two minutes trying to put it back in while 14 other M240s were going.
>foldable comb

>Not carrying a spare blackhawk tail-wheel lockpin
>Not carrying a black pen, red pen, pencil, red and black sharpy and a spare pen to loan out
>only carrying a pen light
>only carrying a swiss army knife
>not leatherman masterrace
>Not carrying a pair of gloves
KEK
>>
>>29920010
I'll usually double up on plugs and muffs, sure it might be a bit excessive but why the fuck not?
>>
>>29918488
>Be at shooting range with friend
>stupid broke college student
>No ear protection cus lol 9mm
>Randoms come up with AK's, use other side of range
>Ask to see my Taurus PT92
>Let's us shoot their AK
Fucked hearing for at least a day
>>
>>29918488
>shooting a gun without ear pro once causing tinnitus
Possible but not likely, it's probably all the loud music you listen to
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.