[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
shotgun bread is the 590a1 as good as people say? looking for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: 590a1.jpg (25 KB, 750x450) Image search: [Google]
590a1.jpg
25 KB, 750x450
shotgun bread

is the 590a1 as good as people say? looking for a good all-around shotgun; use with clays, bird and deer hunting, etc.

do people make wood furniture for it aswell? not a fan of the synthetic look
>>
>>29914794
You can call Mossberg and order a 500 stock or buy one elsewhere.

For everything you listed, a 26" or 28" barrel would be better than any of the shorter barrels on Mossberg's tactical shotguns.
>>
>>29914838
yes but that equal length tube/barrel is so sexy

are the mossberg 500 series equally durable/rustproof/etc?

any experience w/ benelli supernova?
>>
>>29914873
You can extend a tube up to +8 easily. A 28" is flush at +6 or +7 usually.

The 500 uses a polymer trigger assembly, which is replaceable with the 590A1's metallic assembly.

The 500's come in a lot of finishes, so that varies.

The Nova/SuperNova are great guns, especially for hunting and moderate recreational shooting. They are very corrosion resistant. I do not recommend them for heavy usage like dedicated clay shooting, as they just don't hold up to the tens of thousands of rounds very well.
>>
>>29914873
>mossberg 500 series equally durable/rustproof/etc?

Technically they're slightly less durable since the 590A1 is overbuilt for military use, thicker barrel, metal trigger guard housing, metal safety button, etc.

For most realistic purposes, both are equally durable enough for any job, but if you want "the best" then it's the 590A1. Plus 20 inch model has bayonet lug, so obviously that's badass as fuck.
>>
>>29914873

>yes but that equal length tube/barrel is so sexy

For sport shooting it would only be an affectation. Sporting clays, trap, and skeet all have rules about how many rounds can be kept in the magazine. You have to put a rod in there to make it competition legal.

The shorter barrel would also put you at a disadvantage when trying to hit farther targets. In competition some people stick with an over/under rather than a semi-auto because you can have two different chokes -- the first shot being closer ranged, the second being farther.

And finally, if what other people think about you matters to you at all, you might appear silly bringing a "tactical" shotgun to a sport shooting range/event. (This is not my opinion, since as a practical matter the tactical shotgun with shortish barrel and large capacity tube is the best all-around tool if you only can afford one shotgun).
>>
File: IMG_20160321_171258368.jpg (1 MB, 4012x1534) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160321_171258368.jpg
1 MB, 4012x1534
>>29914873
I agree that the extended tube is sexy, but I kinda regret getting my Mossberg with one.

You totally loose the ability to switch barrels for something more suited to the field, and it doesn't point as well.

If it's just for HD use, the extended tube is fine, but for a multi-purpose gun I'd go with the standard 5 shot model.

Also, standard 500 wood furniture should fit the 590 if I'm not mistaken. If there's clearance issues... it's wood. Sand it down some. I had to do that to get my pump to fit right.
>>
What do you guys think about the Winchester SXP?
>>
>>29915229
Turkish produced, but well enough done. I don't own and and don't plan to, but firing one left me with a taste of generic pump action, which is exactly what it should do.
>>
Poorfag no gunz here

So 20" and below limits you to to paper targets at home defense range? Or could you still shoot skeet, albeit with more difficulty?
>>
>>29915879
Don't expect to break many, and you probably won't dust any.
Unless they are hand-tossed, 20" cylinder bore is not good for clays at all.
>>
>>29915903
Would you recommend buying a longer barrel to swap out for clays or just getting a dedicated clay shotgun?
>>
File: 20160422_204740.jpg (1 MB, 1776x2268) Image search: [Google]
20160422_204740.jpg
1 MB, 1776x2268
I like mine, it's the 20" 8+1 tube with bayonet lug. The sights are cool too.
>>
>>29914794
can't swap barrels with the 500 and nothing over 20" exists, make your decision from there.
>>
>>29915012
even the military just uses 500's, no point in having all those features on what's essentially a glorified door opener.
>>
I regret selling mine but if I get another one it will be a bead sight, I didnt really like the goose ring sight
>>
>>29914794

Get a 6-shot 590, it can mount all the 835 ultimag barrels and you can add an extension to make up the lost capacity.
>>
>>29916077
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Mossberg-500-Field/Security-Shotgun-Combo&i=733171

u wot m8
>>
so what is the best pump shotgun on the market today?

excluding custom shop upgraded models like wilson combat, etc.
>>
>>29914794
Are Ithaca 37s still made? I can only find them used in pawn shops.
>>
>>29916125
OP was referencing the 590, learn to follow the conversation, retard.
>>
>>29916013
If you can get a decent price on a field barrel then go for it. If not using federal ammo with flyt control (or however it's spelled) is the best bet when using short barrels and cylinder bore. Also difference of shooting trap vs skeet where one target is flying in front of you (don't need a long barrel) and one is flying away from you (gonna need a long barrel) depends on which style you shoot
>>
>>29916166
Not sure about style as I've never shot clays before. I figured I'd ask since there is a gun club near me that only shoots trap/skeet/sporting clays and I'd like to get the most out of a shotgun aside from home defense.
>>
>>29916140
Yeah, the company was reopened by someone who bought the rights and started production in Ohio.

They still have the problem of pricing themselves out of much of the market, with most models being over $1k and uncompetitive with the BPS.
>>
is a full choke 28" barrel good for trap shooting?
>>
>>29917360
depends on the range you're normally shooting at
>>
I really like mine, a 590A1 with bayo lug, ghost rings, and speed feed was always something I had wanted so I sprang on it when I found just that. They are great HD/tactical guns but lack luster for field use. Novas are pretty nice for field and clay, I'd imagine a 28" or so 500 would be nice to.
>>29916104
The ghost rings are pretty cool but they do feel kind of restrictive on a shotgun.
>>
File: 2016-03-14 05.03.56 1_resized.jpg (2 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-14 05.03.56 1_resized.jpg
2 MB, 2656x1494
>>29914794
>not buying a 500
>not replacing polymer trigger housing with metal housing
>not replacing polymer safety with enhanced metal safety
>not refinishing old wooden stock and forend set
>not being able to swap out barrel lengths and types

Being able to swap out barrels and taking it down to 18.5" was more important than a +2 capacity tube and a bayonet lug but that's just me.

Also you can get wood furniture for your 590a1 as well.
>>
>>29914794

I've killed over 500 Viet Cong with one. They're ok.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.