[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the purpose of carrying a gun for self-defence?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1440599589740.jpg (157 KB, 717x960) Image search: [Google]
1440599589740.jpg
157 KB, 717x960
Killing the threat or stopping the threat?

If so, why?

Can you justify warning shots?
>>
>>29913272
Killing the threat is stopping the threat
>>
stopping the threat, using as much force as necessary to stop them, including deadly.
>>
File: er-ist-wieder-da.jpg (214 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
er-ist-wieder-da.jpg
214 KB, 1024x1024
>>29913272
>warning shots
>>
Stopping the threat.

Because if you're defending yourself the distinction between "dead" and "stopped" is irrelevant from the perspective of your well being.

Warning shots might be justifiable logically but not legally.
>>
warning shots are a liability. you are responsible for every bullet that leaves your gun.
>>
You neutralize the threat.

And, of course, neutralize is code word for put in the ground, which of course means deader than horse shit.
>>
>>29913272
Yes.
>>
>>29913272
>what is the purpose of carrying a gun
>for self defense
You answered your own question OP. Self defense is about making a bad thing stop. Nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>29913417
Then let me rephrase the question for you.

Carrying a gun for self-defence means having to kill an attacker when you could just warning shot or wave it around to dissuade the attacker?
>>
Stopping the threat is often unavoidably linked to killing the threat.

You put enough lead in the threat until he stops, which to me means falls the fuck down/drops his weapon where applicable.

He may die as a consequence of this stopping, but I'm not going to help him along with that. It's execution at that point.
>>
>>29913272
>Can you justify warning shots?
No, shoot to kill only, otherwise you open yourself to massive liability.
>>
>>29913487
It means having a tool to stop an attacker from doing whatever he's doing. Doesn't matter if he's running away, in the hospital or in a hearse. Only draw your weapon if you're ready and justified to kill that person, never shoot to wound.
>>
>>29913272
The goal is to stop the threat. The level of injury required to do this is irrelevant. Warning shots aren't justified because miliseconds matter, and those shots may prevent you from stopping the attack.
>>
The same reason why police officers don't shoot to disable/wound. It's essentially cruel and unusual punishment.
>>
>>29913272
I would argue that warning shots are a negligent use of the firearm, personally.
>>
>>29913272
If your life is actually threatened go for the kill shot. You cant get sued in most states by the family if you were defending yourself
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.