[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does it damage a magazine if it's being stored while loaded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
Does it damage a magazine if it's being stored while loaded over a longer period of time, like a month or so? E.g. the spring inside being worn out, or similar?
>>
>>29911440
No. Godamnit no.

The springs are fine and are not damaged by this. Get the fuck out!
>>
yes the spring won't have the same strength
>>
>>29911440
No.

Unless the spring gets rusty.
>>
It will damage the springs OP
>>
>>29911440
No, the springs will not lose tension
>>
Logically, it should. If you put a hole in your lip and strech it out with a disk for a month, the skin will lose elasticity.
>>
>>29911468
Springs are not human flesh
>>
Springs get worn out in three ways, over extension, over compression or constant use ie. Extending and or compressing. Leaving springs compressed within spec will not wear them out.
You can see this in leaf springs on a car that's sitting for years or the springs that hold up Cheyenne base.
>>
>>29911440
No.

t. guy with Emags that have been loaded since 2010.
>>
>>29911440
on average, every day with the spring under pressure it loses 5-10% of its strength. over enough time the magazine will become useless without a new spring. if you are getting FTF's your spring is probably going out.
>>
>>29911483
This is just downright false
>>
You need to replace your springs every compression-decompression cycle, if you're not doing this, it increases wear on your bolt 2-8%
>>
Well, according to some articles I read it /should/ be fine, but it depends on more factors like moisture/corrosion, dirt, etc.

Just to be sure, I'll leave it unloaded and just load it at the range.

>>29911483
This sounds...dubious at best
>>
>>29911483
Lol what
>>
>>29911440
Holy crap your right i should put my car on jack stands whenever i park it so the springs dont crap out.
>>
>>29911440
I've had a BX-25 loaded for about a month now and the rounds are now falling through the bottom of the mag due to lack of tension.
>>
Do we have to have this thread four times a week?
>>
>>29911492
fuck off retard unless you have proof otherwise. I learned it from my shooting instructor and he was a navy seal.
>>
>>29911525
last time I checked, being a navy seal didn't give one a good understanding of material science and the mechanics of a spring
>>
>>29911510
I know I do.
>>
>>29911521
Yes and trolls constantly beat the mags wear out drum. No one legitimately believes this except newfuns.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/04/16/magazine-spring-failure/

Countless other accounts. Shit, how many people here have grandparents that have kept tube mag Winchesters loaded for decades? It's fine.
>>
>>29911516
kek
>>
Thread is full of idiots

Compressed springs don't lose tension, they lose TORSION

My PHD teacher for Mechanical Engineering made us repeat this every day for the 4 years it takes to get a doctorate in Spring Theory.
>>
File: 1461498567214.jpg (56 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1461498567214.jpg
56 KB, 640x480
Creep and fatigue are well understood, and there is no particular problem designing something with a creep life of tens of years, or a fatigue life of millions of cycles, if that is what is required. Some materials have "infinite" life, provided the stress never exceeds a critical value.

The phenomenon known as creep, only affects materials at or above ~0.4x their melting point, in. This is unlikely to be an issue in regular service unless your springs are made of something absurd like lead, which actually creeps are room temperature. Stress-strain cycles, on the other hand, play a major role in spring wear.

Ferrous material like iron and most steels exhibit an infinite lifetime under a particular amount of stress amplitude - not the absolute stress, which is generally far less. Less ductile materials like aluminum and titanium have a finite cycle life regardless of the stress amplitude; however, parts designed with these materials generally have lifetimes in the millions of cycles and fail by different modes long before the lifetime is reached. So obviously, the life of the spring depends on proper design and materials choice. The spring steel that your gun would most likely use is a moderately-high carbon steel, with potentially nickel, silicon and manganese alloying agents in small quantities.

Properly designed, it would last far longer than the other components of the gun that are regularly undergoing thermal stress, diffusion, and much larger fatigue cycles. It's safe to say that storing your mag in a properly designed gun, will not wear out the spring prematurely. However, removing 1 or 2 rounds would increase the odds that you are maintaining the spring stress below the critical fatigue limit. As a footnote, springs in regular circumstances follow Hooke's Law, which states that F=-kx (k being a materials, or "spring" constant and x being displacement). Thus, spring force is linear to displacement.
>>
>>29911440
I did some research on this a while back, and the answer is a resounding no.

Springs do not lose strength through tension alone, they only lose strength through the working of the spring (compression AND expansion) and even then not very much. Think of springs on a car, they're under a load 100% of the time and only break if the rust through or you beat the shit out of them. People have dug up mags from Vietnam that are still loaded and cycled all the rounds with no problem.
>>
>>29911440
I got my beretta 92 for my night stand gun the day i turned 21 which was 9 years ago. Those mags have been loaded the whole time and they still work fine.
>>
>>29911584
>Spring Theory
Clever.
>>
>>29911584
>spring theory

heh
>>
>>29911596
>Springs do not lose strength through tension alone

That depends on whether the tension is below the fatigue limit of the metal. If it is, the spring will apply the same amount of force forever. If it isn't, then creep sets in. Most magazine springs are well made enough for this to never happen unless the magazine is misused.
>>
Springs lose tension from movement. You'll wear them out by repeated usage, not by them being locked in place.
>>
>>29911440
No the springs are fine. Don't believe fuddlore
>>
Fucking Google you stupid fucking shits

Useless cunts
>>
im surprised no one has mentioned feed lips. cheap or old poly mags are sometimes reported as splitting at the feed lips from being loaded for long periods of time. AR15 orlite mags come to mind
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.