[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To gear queers: Why not just wear clothes with a lot of pockets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
To gear queers:

Why not just wear clothes with a lot of pockets?

It's less conspicuous, the pockets on cargo pants and fishing vests are usually bigger than those on tacvests, and normal clothes are way more comfortable than harnesses and load-bearing rigs.

Even if you need that extra bit of storage, why not sew attachment loops and magazine pockets into the interiors of normally fashionable vests and jackets? It'd be more discreet, comfortable and even more useful than getting some Chicom tacvest!

Is there an objective reason why a chest rig and dump pouch are considered better than a utility vest and fanny pack?
>>
Probably because they wear the chest rigs to the range where they don't care about looking as fashionable as possible.
>>
>Is there an objective reason why a chest rig and dump pouch are considered better than a utility vest and fanny pack?

Yes.

Because purpose designed equipment is always, always better than trying to make something else work.

This is the same reason you don't use high heeled shoes as screwdrivers, or frozen bananas as hammers.

Yeah it might work, but it doesn't work well and why would you go to all the trouble when purpose designed and built shit already exists?

Now, if you're trying to be an undercover CC /fa/ faggot it's a different story. But even then, buying a purpose built CC holster is usually better than trying to make one yourself and sew it into your pants.

There is also the fact that playing dressup and pretending you're a delta squad OPERATOR, send the surgeons home because I'll be doing all the OPERATING is a secret, dirty pleasure of most of the people in the gear queer thread that don't actually do it for a living.

Now, you may want to go back to /fa/ before the real shitposting begins.
>>
>>29909596
>don't care about looking as fashionable as possible.
what the fuck

>>29909606
I look at it this way -- my "dump pouch" is intended for mounting on a bicycle. It's not some Chicom branded piece of shit, it's a no-name piece of shit. But it's exactly the same shape, attaches with the same kinds of toggles, and has a similar capacity. Why not wear that on my belt instead of a branded Tacticool pouch? I do actually attach it to my normal messenger bag, but even for that bag, why not use a cheap laptop bag instead of a Tactical Administration Satchel?

Or even something as simple as the infamous 5.11 pants -- what separates them from any other pair of cargo pants? Or if I want to carry a big deck knife on me, why not mount it from a loop sewn into my spring jacket and be actually somewhat concealed, instead of hanging it off my belt in a specifically branded set of loops that'll poke out of anything I wear?

I just don't understand this gear queer mindset. Wouldn't you want to go for the stealthy option of just having a coat with lots of pockets instead of a ridiculous chest rig and bunches of tacticool nonsense. Or better yet, putting lots of loops and pockets into a coat you already own to have just that much extra storage for your CC'd revolver and all those speedloaders and taser batteries and bear spray cartridges and whatnot.
>>
I love gear but usually if I'm doing anything /k/ it's just a sling with an m16 mag pouch or two and maybe a canteen. I don't spend too long out there
>>
File: latest[1].png (697 KB, 854x1318) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
697 KB, 854x1318
I love moogles

Especially ff14 moogles
>>
>>29909625
>Wouldn't you want to go for the stealthy option of just having a coat with lots of pockets instead of a ridiculous chest rig and bunches of tacticool nonsense.

If you're wearing a chest rig, chances are very good that "stealthy" isn't a concern of yours. It doesn't even have to be that you're pretending to be a tier -3 operator, maybe you shoot at some place that has a lot of land and involves a lot of walking and decide you'll just be a lazy shit and carry all your ammo out on your chest.
>>
>>29909650
chocobos are cuter and more useful

>>29909661
Why not carry it in something less dumb and cheaper/easier to procure, like a large jacket, or a convenient messenger bag? In the outer pocket of my laptop bag, I could probably fit like 9 or 10 STANAG mags, and the main body of the bag is still there. Then I can fit one in my normal coat's breast pocket, one in its outer breast pocket, two in its side pockets, and then I have all the rest of my clothes. And my jacket isn't modified at all! I did once sew some quick pouches for things I commonly carry, though, and it took literal minutes to make something to carry my usual knife. An evening of work could easily turn any nice spring jacket into a full rig for concealed carrying a gun and several magazines.
>>
>>29909625
>Jackets with pockets are better than load bearing gear
I guarantee you're going to have a bitch of a time putting enough pockets in your trench coat that it'll carry everything on the front of an operator's chest rig, and even if you know what you're doing you're still going to spend an awful lot of time on it and it's still going to rattle and clank. And it's still going to be inferior to the chest rig for actual use because the chest rig is designed specifically for organization and ease of access and the jacket has to also be a jacket and the pockets are all over hell.

But that's besides the point because by the point you're breaking out rifles and enough gear that you need a chest rig to carry it either you're playing pretend and it doesn't matter how you look (read: you want to look like a badass tier 1 operatemaster) or you're rocking out with your socks out for real and it also doesn't matter how you look. When that amount of gear hits the field discreteness is typically long out the window and down the lane before you can get a second shot at it.

Now, if you are trying to be discrete then there is something to be said for sewing extra storage into your existing clothing for things BECAUSE efficiency of retrieval is secondary to having the stuff AND being able to look relatively inconspicuous with it. But then you run into the problem of: it's a complete pain in the ass if you don't enjoy needlework and don't know what you're doing and don't want to learn and would rather just buy a shoulder holster or belt holster and CC belt, and maybe a mag holder or two.

cont'd
>>
>>29909695
Popping your mags in a bag is definitely a good way to go, and probably the way a majority of people do it. Don't tell me that having a bunch of magazines loose in the pocket of a coat is more convenient than having them right next to your chest in pouches that are made for magazines, though.

And besides that it seems like we're talking in circles. I'm not talking about dumping all of your money on expensive tactical gear to play dress up, I'm talking about dropping 30 bucks on something to carry magazines for certain situations.
>>
>>29909625
>>29909725

So to address your specific example of "If I want to carry a fixed blade knife on me, why not sew a strap in point for its sheath into my jacket?"

The answer is either A) I don't care about trying to hide it because that's shady as fuck and the sheath has a belt loop on it anyway or B) I am too goddamn lazy and will just buy something purpose built for hiding it, because if I try to sew it into my jacket I'm going to destroy two jackets and then end up with something that still doesn't work as well as if I'd just bought a concealed holster.

I do agree, however, that there is too much focus in terms of clothing upon "You have to buy this brand if you want to be a real operator!"
>>
>>29909559
Someone who wants to be an operator + someone who's very bad with money = gear queer

Most gear fags only take their gear to ranges at the very most or take bathroom selfies, and think that somehow makes them "operator"
>>
>>29909695
So basically, in terms of carrying rifle stuff the gear queers just don't care about being discrete because when rifles have come out to play you're either tryharding on the range or shit has gotten serious and you don't need to pretend you aren't armed, or in some cases don't want to.

Gear queers care about performance and functionality over form because they're pretending they're badasses who need that split second. Yeah, you could probably pack a bunch of magazines into a utility vest and a laptop bag but it's going to take longer to dig them out than it would to just grab one out of a purpose designed mag pouch.

Similarly, in the CC situation your draw is going to be faster from a dedicated holster and mag holster than it is from a sewn in pocket. Yes that's viable but it's still more toward the form than function end of things and why would you go to the trouble when you can just buy a thing that's more functional than the pockets will ever be and doesn't take nearly as much time to put together, to boot? Then you can even brag about it and tell all the other guys their holsters are shit because they didn't buy your brand. Let alone that CCing without a properly secured holster is magnificently stupid.

It also pays to remember we haven't all had tutorials in tailoring, so what might take you an evening would take us a ruined jacket or two and a few nights of on and off trying, and our shit still wouldn't be as good.
>>
>>29909725
> guarantee you're going to have a bitch of a time putting enough pockets in your trench coat that it'll carry everything on the front of an operator's chest rig,
At basic, I had 4 mags, a canteen, and that was basically it. Also a lot of candy and sports drink/instant coffee pouches from IMPs, but that fits in pockets.

In the VERY brief time I spent sleeping outside and avoiding my childhood home, my whole life fit in a mess kit, a bike pouch, and a messenger bag. Most of what I had on me was a work uniform, packets of food items (jams and sugar packets stolen from coffee shops, mostly) and a large canteen that I stored in my bag.

>efficiency of retrieval
In general, I have an easier time reaching into my jacket inner breast pockets than anywhere else. I would much rather have a series of magazines strapped to the inside of my windbreaker strapped to the jacket but otherwise being fairly loose than I would want them rigidly sitting high on my mantitty like in a conventional tacvest.

>it's a complete pain in the ass if you don't enjoy needlework and don't know what you're doing and don't want to learn and would rather just buy a shoulder holster or belt holster and CC belt, and maybe a mag holder or two.
Isn't the whole point of being a /k/ommando oper8or self-sufficiency? How can you be self-sufficient if you can't even repair and modify your own clothes? It's literally the oldest craft.
>>
>>29909731
>if I try to sew it into my jacket I'm going to destroy two jackets
Now I wonder -- would there be a market for actually fashionable OPER8OR load-bearing shit, or custom modifications to normal clothing to accommodate mallninja shit?
>>
>>29909791
>Pockets sewed into my jacket work better for me than a chest rig
Neat. You are a minority.

>Isn't the point of being a /k/ommando self sufficiency
Yes and no. It's a self serve credo, some may go for it while others won't. It does take effort, after all.

>>29909811
There's already a market for regular clothing with CC pockets coated in velcro built into it, so presumably. I still don't think rifle and modified jackets go together, though.

You also have to remember that not all of us live in the frozen north where you can get away with wearing a jacket year round, and that you cannot CC in just your pants without a quality holster and belt. Also that sewing pockets for reloads you can easily get into in your pants that are concealed would be even more of a pain in the ass.
>>
>>29909789
Hold up, are we gonna count CC holsters as gear queer shit? I mean a good CC holster is actually something that's essential; gucci plate carriers and mag pouches so you can look cool on the internet, not so much.
>>
>>29909889
Depends on if you define gear queer as "wanting the best gear, or the best bang for the buck, and generally liking/discussing gear" or make it specifically "Tryhards who buy shit they're never going to actually use for its intended purpose in order to grow their epeens"
>>
>>29909889
>Hold up, are we gonna count CC holsters as gear queer shit
for the purposes of the thread, sure. why not tailor your holster to your specific gun like a suit is tailored to a man? they come with good ergonomic setups to strap them to yourself, but why not literally tack on extra loops or pouches for magazines or speedloaders instead of relying on the manufacturer? why not add hooks or toggles for extra kit like flasks or tools?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.