[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brazil will have a national nuclear submarine soon. With a nuclear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Réplica_de_submarino_nuclear.jpg (1 MB, 3500x2341) Image search: [Google]
Réplica_de_submarino_nuclear.jpg
1 MB, 3500x2341
Brazil will have a national nuclear submarine soon.

With a nuclear submarine, will Brazil be considered a military superpower?
>>
>>29905162
No.
>>
>>29905162
Only the USA is currently a super power, Brazil is not even a global power.
>>
>>29905162
It won't work.

The Brazilians will falter when they find out you can't impeach atoms apart.
>>
Holy shit, do those control rods go through the fucking pressure vessel? That's Soviet-tier engineering. Also, is the shitting pressure vessel bolted with a presumable gasket instead of continuously welded?

You're going to have some poor stupid Brazilian sailor mopping up primary coolant as soon as they run that thing up. I bet those speedo-wearing fucks don't even have a reactor compartment tunnel and just hope the bulkhead stops their dick falling off if there's a leak.
>>
>>29905162
kek, does it run on bananas?
>>
>>29905162
>Brazil will have a national nuclear submarine soon.
Thanks to France. Also, not soon. In several years.
>With a nuclear submarine, will Brazil be considered a military superpower?
Since they can't even build the hull by themselves, no. Also, countries with nuclear powered subs also have nuclear weapons to go with it. In every single case.

Does that mean Brazil wants the bomb ? I doubt it. They don't have the money for this whatsoever.

In fact a nuclear submarine for Brazil makes zero sense. Especially only one of them. They would be better off with long range SSK subs. The Barracuda AIP proves it is possible to have a very long range with a non-nuclear ship. It's also safer, opens up more options (many countries do not accept the presence of nuclear vessels in their waters) and is cheaper to build, operate, maintain, and dismantle.

But hey, their money their choice I guess.
>>
>>29905162

I feel like you need at least 10 nuke submarines before you can even be considered a regional power.
>>
>>29905465
It would probably be safer but K40 is unfortunately non fissile. Imagine if it were, you'd have terrorists running around stacking up bananas in major metropolitan areas, hoping for the pile to melt down.
>>
Aren't there NGO's with nuclear submarines?
>>
>>29905503
Coke runners aren't really NGOs.
>>
>>29905513

What else would you call them? They're literally non-government organizations.

Also I thought drug-subs ran on diesel.
>>
>>29905162
Are they actually going to get highly enriched fuel, or are they going to be refueling every couple of years?
>>
>>29905527
Sorry, I missed the nuclear bit, I've been drinking. I guess you'd technically call a coke runner an NGO but it's not really the first thing you think of when you hear the acronym. I'm not aware of any NGOs with nuclear boats, probably because there aren't any navies who'd be comfortable with them having free access to highly classified designs.
>>
>>29905550
I can't go into the details why but a nuclear submarine reactor running on natural uranium would be hilariously useless, both in terms of how it would have to be operated and the design it would result in.
>>
>>29905213
Brazil isn't even a fucking regional power lol
>>
>>29905577
Sure you can. It's all on Wikipedia. Everything the Navy told you about what's classified and not is basically ass covering bullshit. Here, have a bunch of supposedly classified fuel enrichment numbers. http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/non-power-nuclear-applications/transport/nuclear-powered-ships.aspx. And maybe some temperature bands. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2W_reactor

I'm just wondering if the Banana Boat will be between 4 and 8%, or if they're going to push for 20. I don't see them getting 90%, even in premade fuel elements.
>>
>>29905162

Floating Chernobyl when?
>>
>>29905692
Absolutely there's a lot out there, I just can neither confirm nor deny its accuracy. For ships, I would point out that, on average their throttling demands are going to be a lot more relaxed than a submarine, especially one that isn't carrying SLBMs. Also, you throw LEU in the core and you're looking at a submarine that doesn't just look like a penis, it will look like a penis with balls/a knot.
>>
>>29905711

STALKER: Ghost Ship
>>
>>29905162
Super power > global power > regional power

Brazil is none of those, they should be more focused on a potential communist coup d'état happening instead of ambitions of radioactive bra7-1ians
>>
>>29906009
I would say Brazil is a regional power, at least
>>
>>29905475
>In fact a nuclear submarine for Brazil makes zero sense.

There is no sense or purpose.

Brazil just wants it to be considered a big guy.
>>
>>29906096
when was the last time they went to war? or at least postured with one of their neighbors/rivals?
>>
>>29905162
>Brazilian nuclear submarine
Do the sailors wear flipflops as uniform? Are shootings common on brasilian submarines?
>>
>>29906096
Except they have no regional power whatsoever.

Not even Uruguay respects them.
>>
>>29905198
fpbp
>>
>>29906131
But if I take of the speedo would it hurt?
>>
Yes. As much as a nuke makes North Korea a military superpower.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.