[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GUN SHOW
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: gun show.jpg (92 KB, 648x432) Image search: [Google]
gun show.jpg
92 KB, 648x432
Hey /k/

I'm going to my first gun show in Commiefornia on Saturday and I'm hoping to buy a couple guns. Anything that you guys would recommend to look out for?

Also post general gun show experiences.
>>
>>29903994
Just...don't. If you must, expect markups, shilling & fear mongering a la "get it before it's banned Nancy Peloci Obongo Clinton!!!1exclamation point!"
Anything you find at a show can be found online, usually for less.
>>
>>29903994
Don't buy at a gunshow unless you want to overpay for everything. Sometimes you can pick up ammo inexpensively, but the guns are almost always marked way the fuck up.
>>
Don't buy, but fingerfuck and windowshop the shit out of everything.
>>
>>29904102
>>29904127
>>29904140
Cool, thanks for the heads up.

What do you guys think of guns sold at auctions IRL? Like estate sales and the like. Can I get a good deal or should I just buy online like you guys?
>>
>>29903994
>gun show in Commiefornia
You realize this is a trap right? They are just going to arrest everyone
>>
>>29904170
Sometimes. If the person running the estate knows what they have, they'll ask the usual market rates. Otherwise, there's a chance you might luck out, especially with milsurp
>>
>>29904187
To be fair, it is being held in a very "ethnically diverse" city that happens to be ridden with crime. I'm just looking for other venues to buy guns since I bought my first rifle at a Big 5 of all places.
>>
The deals are from buying guns off other attendees in line.
>>
>general gun show experiences
Hunting rifles
Glocks
Pump action shotguns
More hunting rifles
1 guy with 50 AR's
Even more hunting rifles
Reloaded ammo of dubious quality
Some more shotguns
Some guy with a lot of knives
MORE HUNTING RIFLES FUCK
Maybe 1 or 2 people trying to sell beat-to-shit Nagants for $500+
>Every gunshow ever in north Louisiana

In all fairness there's nothing inherently wrong with the hunter's buffet, but goddamn does window shopping get boring when there's so little variety.

Good place to get all kinds of shit though, like last time around there was a guy with a box of random pieces and parts and I managed to dig up an East German AK sling mount out of his box, which I was able to easily jerry-rig into a mount to finish my AMD-65 build. And another dude had old army ammo cans for cheap, so I got me a big old 40mm training grenade can for like $20
>>
>>29904102
This. I go for maximum finger fucking but that's it.
>>
>>29904233
CROSSROADS DETECTED.

Pomona?
>>
>>29903994
>california
>gun show
prob the only reason to do this is to get an off-roster handgun, but expect to get jewed with the price due to low supply/high demand

also i guess you might be able to find some 22lr if you show up early enough, which is basically impossible to find anywhere but online (which necessarily costs more due to s&h)
>>
Holy shit OP, not in Cali (NC), but just went to my first last weekend. Here is what I learned:
>there are a lot and I mean A LOT of idiots that are gonna try to push Shit on you just because of mark up or because they want it off their rack
Example: while perusing, overheard a dude talking to an older guy about Garands. Cheapest at the show was like $925 if I remember correctly and went all the way to $2000. Guy had 4 all listed at $1500 non negotiable. He literally said to him: "if you want a cheap piece of Shit, you can go over to that other guys table and buy his for 200 less, but don't expect it to fire". (Personally saw Garand he was referring to, looked fine, all origional parts and clean as fuck)
>expect some very autistic salesmen who will scoff at you for buying something from them but not knowing some really dumb/obscure info about whatever you're buying
Had a dude show me a crate of mosins and sks's and I asked how hard it is to get them cosmoline free. Instead of answering he explained for 10 straight minutes about the benefits of cosmoline, didn't answer my question and I literally had to walk away from him.
>Mark ups on EVERYTHING.
But if you bring a few large in cash, everything becomes negotiable, sans some real niche/rare shit
>Expect Fudds/nazis/wal martians galore

Other than that, I wouldn't recommend buying a piece there unless it is something you can get a warrenty on, which I'm sure 99% of the time won't happen. But if you go in with an open mind and look at everything a few times before you start to buy, you'll get a feel for it and should be able to find what you're looking for/dodge the BS. Have fun!
>>
Decades later and I have STILL never been to a gun show.

I long for the day when I get to experience the 200% markups, BZZZZZZZZZT, and barrels of delicious jerky for myself.
>>
>>29904383

Don't forget the herbal scents table
>>
>>29904326
It's in Vallejo.

>>29904331
Yeah I'm already expecting to get jewed just by virtue of living in CA, but it sounds like I should expect more at gun shows.

>>29904342
Wow! Thanks for the info. If I do end up buying anything, (which my hopes are diminishing after reading the posts thus far) I do expect to haggle to save a little cash.

I hadn't considered the warranty aspect. Is there anything I should look for to ensure I don't get a P.O.S./something that doesn't fire? I read the poorfag guide and know which brands to avoid.
>>
>>29904383
My local gun shows always are half guns, half people selling t-shirts with pictures of guns on them for like 50 bucks. And only one jerky table.
>>
>>29904170
Not sure how it works in Commiefornia, but ive been to numerous firearm auctions on the east coast. One thing ive noticed is that guns seem to go a lot higher than they should for their age and quality. Now, ive gotten great deals (WASR with 150 worth of tacticool accessories for 300, Ruger Security Six for 350 are my highlights), but that isnt always the case.

More often than not, the people that attend these are older guys who ONLY obtain their guns,ammo, accessories at auctions, or deal hunters. A lot of them see this as a hobby and dont understand what a good or bad price is for stuff. Ive seen Beretta 92s go for the upper 900s, glocks for close to MSRP, basic 10/22s for 400. People get caught up in bidding wars because to them the auction is more fun than the product. The rest are people like you, those looking for a steal at an auction.

A lot of it also depends on the auction house. Ive been to places where they only bid in increments of 5 or 10 dollars, and places where they do larger bids but they go on forever, giving people chances to bid less than the minimum to keep it going. The auction house and bidding style can greatly affect the price of an item.

At most auctions and estate sales you wont find your modern semi autos. 90% of them are basic 22 caliber single shots, double barrel shotguns, lever actions, and sporterized milsurp. Ive probably attended 30 auctions in the past year and have probably seen less than 10 AKs and ARs. Because of this, they tend to go for closer to MSRP.

Oh, and I should say that all these guns are used with unknown history. I find it fun. I love showing up and trying to figure out what mysteries each gun has.

tl;dr this is a lot longer than I thought. Auctions take time to get a good deal. There will be others hunting for deals and sometimes bidding and hidden fees can cause you to pay more than you wanted. Gun auctions are mainly for fun projects and deal hunting.
>>
>>29904433

I mean if you see something and want it, be a sensible person and by all means buy. Don't let me dissuade you from getting something you want if you've done your homework and can get a deal. Just use your head. It's your coin after all.

As for the warranty, that's your discretion. I can dis/assemble/clean/maintain what I own, but it always makes me feel good knowing I have a manufacturer warranty on most of my stuff. But hey that's just me and I'm a chump like that.

You'll have fun tho, just keep an open mind and absorb as much as you can.
>>
>>29904433
>Yeah I'm already expecting to get jewed just by virtue of living in CA, but it sounds like I should expect more at gun shows.

This is pretty relevant, in California if you're buying stuff on roster from out of state, the FFL you transfer to is required to collect sales tax, so if you're like me and live in LA county, then buying online automatically adds 9% to every purchase not counting transfer fees and DROS.

With gun shows you will get a mark up, but compare that to what you'd be paying otherwise and the mark up might end up being less than what you would pay otherwise. Just take it as a case by case basis and get an idea of street prices before going into the gun show.
>>
>>29904170
Get in a Gun Click. Cops and other shooters like in IDPA. They buy/sell/trade all the time.
I go to the Gun shows to window shop, never buy as prices are horrible. Sometimes I buy ammo or other small things. Tip - never buy from the tables right buy the entrance, they will have higher prices. Hold off and most of the time you can find the same thing cheaper, a few rows deeper.
>>
I didn't even know commiefornia had gun shows.
>>
>>29903994
I'll be headed to Crossroads the 21st and 22nd, send out a heads up.
>>
>>29905306
Yeah I was noticing that as well. Not only do you have to buy the gun, but you have to pay for a credit card fee, shipping and handling, FFL transfer, etc. Also a lot of the places that sell guns that I want online will refuse to ship to CA. Any reasoning behind this?
>>
File: IMG_3975.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3975.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>29905658
I live in california and have an SKS, Saiga 12 w/ drum mag, and a CZ 75B.

The gun laws suck (hello 10 rnd cz mags for $40) but otherwise it's a fairly tolerable place to live. Oh and pic related is 10 minutes from my house, so I do have that going for me, which is nice.
>>
>>29903994

>Be me living in Minnesota
>Hear about gun show in hick town paradise Hastings, Minnesota
>Never been to one so what the hell
>Walk in and pay my fee
>Start browsing for AK surplus mags
>Halfway decent handgun selection
>Only modern rifles I see are the two ARs a dude has set up
>Other than that not a single gun newer than 1950
>Walk up to a stand with a shit ton of mags from various rifles
>Ask the old fossil about any AK mags
>"We don't sell that communist bullshit here, son."
>Notice his Vietnam Vet hat
>Walk away and laugh the whole car ride home

Not sure about anybody else's experience with gun shows, but that shit sucked. Maybe it all depends on where the location is who knows. City was Fudd paradise so I had it coming
>>
Do a complete loop before you buy anything. One time I found some rubber slings that can go on pretty much anything for $5 two tables down from a guy selling them for $20. Same thing. They're great for when I need a sling on a shotgun or if someone at deer camp needs a sling.

I learned this one the hard way: the guy who says someone else is interested in what he's selling doesn't actually have anyone else who wants to buy why he has, he's just trying to Jew you. Don't let them play mind games. Say you'll consider it, then do another loop for something else that caught your eye the first time around.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.