[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shotgun question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: GM443643_L1.jpg (35 KB, 1200x294) Image search: [Google]
GM443643_L1.jpg
35 KB, 1200x294
I've been thinking on getting a shotgun to add to my line of home defense items.
I've only shot skeet with friends a couple of times so my shotgun knowledge is limited.
I've done some research and I'm coming up to three models of shotguns and I may regret this, but I'm wondering what you guys think of the following models:
Remington Model 870
Remington Model 1187
Mossberg 500
Mossberg 590

I looked them all over at my local Cabellas and the only thing I like about the Mossberg's is that they will have the capability of having one more shell in the tube compared to the Remington.
What are the pros and cons between the two companies?
I'm looking for more of a milspec shotgun, something I can depend on when the chips are down. I heard that both police and the military use both brands, true or false?
>>
>>29897588
Get the mossberg 500 home and field combo if you're going to be using it for both HD and clays/hunting. Get a pre-freedom group (police magnum preferably) 870 if you want an 870. 590 if you're going for HD only.
>>
>>29897588
get a mossberg maverick 88, its a discount mossberg 500 that costs $200.
>>
Mossberg 500s are pretty cheap, I've picked up two, both were about 150 used, 18 and 28 inch barrels. I also picked up a used 870 tactical for 250. I prefer the 870, it just feels better than my 500s, but they are all good guns. Just look locally online, someone is always selling a decently priced 12 gauge
>>
>>29897662
Its mostly for home defense since I'm not much into clays, but hunting on the other hand might be interesting.

I'm kinda limited on barrel length due to hallways so 18 inches is preferred. I did see that Mossberg has conversion kits so you can get rifled barrels with a cheap scope for both Mossberg 500 series and Remington 870 shotguns. With that said I can get the rifled barrel for hunting and still use the short 18 inch barrel for HD.
I'm just curious if anyone has put their shotguns through a serious test for reliability.
>>
>>29897588
Police trade-in Wingmaster 870s are awesome and you can find them for stupid cheap in great condition sometimes. Look around for those if you can.

>I'm looking for more of a milspec shotgun, something I can depend on when the chips are down. I heard that both police and the military use both brands, true or false?
True. The Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are like the Civic and Corolla of pump shotguns IMHO. Certain variants and model years are more desirable than others, but they're both economical workhorses with a long service history.

HOWEVER, having owned both a 500 and an 870, the one thing I will say is that the safety switch on the 500 can suck. Mine was old and from the 80s, full disclosure, but it wasn't beat to shit; the plastic switch just cracked in half one day and would engage at random (meaning you would fire one round and chamber the next and the trigger wouldn't pull). Easily with an aftermarket replacement switch (no problems since for me), but just something to be aware of.
>>
>>29897911
Cool, thanks for the info.
As for the police trade-in, a friend of mine actually got one of those 870's in practically cherry condition - so jealous.

I fingered the Mossberg and it seems they updated the safety switch, it was metal.

So basically what you're saying is that these two models are good to go and its mostly on brand preference and cost then, right?
>>
>>29897741
>shotgun
>home defense
Enjoy slow reloads and follow up shots while stuck in a 8 or less cap mode.
>>
>>29898013
Pretty much. There are some considerations based on specific models and applications, but when you're looking for an HD shotgun there aren't that many niches to consider. I got a really good deal on an 870 super mag which can take 3.5" magnum shells, apparently awesome for waterfowl hunting but I don't really give a shit about that because I don't hunt. But it was a great condition 870 for $150, so I went for it. What you want with a tactical shotgun is reliability, capacity, and maneuverable barrel length. Any of these guns can possess all of those features, it's just a matter of swapping out common parts for other common parts. You're not gonna go wrong with either for what you're looking for.

But you may find certain quirks like safety switch layout and stock ergos pushing you towards one camp or the other.
>>
>>29897588
Remingtons rust and their ejectors break
Mossbergs plastic safeties and trigger guards break and theyre a bitch to take apart

Get a benelli nova, save yourself some headache.
>>
>>29898013
The U.S. military uses mossbergs and benellis. No remingtons are used by the .mil
>>
>>29898675
Coast guard uses 870s
>>
File: 1459007689015.jpg (428 KB, 1197x2867) Image search: [Google]
1459007689015.jpg
428 KB, 1197x2867
>>
File: 1459007751156.jpg (305 KB, 1095x2266) Image search: [Google]
1459007751156.jpg
305 KB, 1095x2266
>>29898812
>>
>>29898675
>implying
>>
>>29898675
>they
>>
>>29898675
>don't
>>
>>29898675
The 870 has always had more government users than the Mossberg, both here and abroad. I much prefer certain design attributes of the Mossy but there's no denying the (non-Freedom Group Express)870 is the overall hardier gun.
>>
>>29898582
and their firing pins break now. They've gone down the shitter with quality control.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.