[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mom needs gun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
sup /k/, I'm a POG in the Army and I know next to nothing about guns that aren't standard issue (249, M4, M9, etc). My mom's home got broken into yesterday (happy mother's day) and she ran out of her house after seeing someone break in. She needs a handgun. I'll take her to the range but I need something that operates simply and smoothly, and has minimal recoil. Price isn't an issue. What do you recommend?

tl;dr What's a basic handgun (besides the M9) for an amateur shooter?
>>
>>29896367
obrez
>>
>>29896367
Walther PPQ in .45
Easy to use, comfy, not too expensive, big rounds lend confidence.
>>
>>29896367
38 special revolver. Easy, cheap, hard to mess up. 80 year old great grandma blew away a home invader with one this week.

Any manufacturer than Taurus shit. I'd do a 4" barrel. Model 10 trade in is a great option. Also for real thank you for your service.
>>
>>29896400
I've shot this before, and one of my buddies recommended this, it's always good to get reaffirmation on something like this
>>29896439
Thank you for your support! That's a S&W .38 you recommend, right? I'm worried the recoil to be too much but it sounds like your grandma did alright
>>
Walther CCP and a laser/light combo to go on it.
>>
>>29896367
100% Some type of snub nose revolver. Wont jam, nice and loud and easy to use.
>>
>>29896367
Is she hot?
>>
>>29896367
Fellow POG but formerly of a combat MOS. Still didn't know about anything that standard issue shit until a few years ago. You can never go wrong with and Glock in 9mm. Also, you qualify for Blue Label program which saves $100 at a minimum because you're military, just have to buy from a Blue Label dealer. Glock 43 is a good 9mm gun that women can handle. Also most concealable. Best bet would be to have her take a few formal classes that teach concealed carry/personal defense shooting. There are classes specifically designed to teach old ladies how to protect themselves. GL.
>>
>>29896893
>>29896439
snug are fucking awful choices.

the felt recoil is high and the fireball is huge.

you are basically wanting someone to get a gun they won't use because it is too unpleasant.
>>
File: Ruger LCRx 5431 .38 special +p.jpg (32 KB, 475x352) Image search: [Google]
Ruger LCRx 5431 .38 special +p.jpg
32 KB, 475x352
>>29896367

This is my suggestion.

Double action revolvers are as simple as they come, it has a nice large grip and the recoil on .38 special is very manageable.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5431.html
>>
>>29896367
Get her a guard dog and a pistol OP. Probably 9mm.
>>
Any fullsize semi or revolver is fine.
Compacts are silly for home defense.

Take her to the gun store and let her pick whichever one is most comfortable in her hand with controls that make the most sense in at least .38spc or .380, get her a couple of boxes of range ammo and a couple boxes of defense ammo (Gold Dot, SXT, etc.)
Shoot at least a couple mags of the defense rounds to make sure the gun works reliably.

The short list of most mom-friendly guns are almost any DA revolver, Glock, XD, M&P, and probably anything else with no external safety.
>>
>>29896979
Its only for home defense. The point is to scare the intruder as well as possibly kill. We want it loud and intimidating.
>>
>>29896979

I think dude meant snubs not snug; and he's right.

For a home defense gun for a novice shooter, you want a longer barrel and a larger grip; both of which will mitigate recoil and make the gun more pleasant to shoot.

Something like this would be preferable.

>>29896993
>>
>>29896972
Fuck your pog shit it has nothing to do with buying your mom a gun. I was an 0311, it's not relevant to conversation.
>>
>>29897026

Pretty much anything north of a .22lr is going to be loud and any gun is going to be intimidating.
>>
>>29897046

Hell even .22lr is pretty loud.
>>
File: 414-355-SUB2K_GEN2_5[1].jpg (15 KB, 414x355) Image search: [Google]
414-355-SUB2K_GEN2_5[1].jpg
15 KB, 414x355
this is the perfect novice gun.
>>
>>29897046
>any gun is going to be intimidating.
Probably not to a coked out nigger breaking into your house lad
>>
>>29896367
You don't know anything about the guns that ARE standard issue, either.
Glock 19
>>
>>29897081

If they're crazy enough not to be intimidated by a pistol or a revolver they aren't going to be intimidated by anything.
>>
>>29896367
That must have been terrifying for your mother and I'm sorry that happened to her.

As for the best handgun for her, it's hard to say. Everyone has different hands.
What you need to do is take her to a gun store and have her hold various guns and maybe even rent some for her and just let her try everything.

Is getting a gun her idea or yours?
It's much easier when it's theirs and based on what just happened I can't imagine her being against it.
>>
>>29897108
Reread the OP, nix the glock 19.

Why the fuck wouldn't an AR15 work.

>light
>easy to aim
>good ballistics
>more data
>no recoil
>easy to operate
>>
>>29897124
>in home
>ar-15
>tight spaces
>her mum

Anon, operators would like a word with u.
>>
>>29896367
Any 9mm Glock.
/thread
>>
>>29896917
obviously
>>29896972
good shit, I wasn't aware of that program. I'll look into that, thanks
>>29896993
thanks for the link, definitely looking into this
>>29896997
the dog is harder to convince than the gun
>>29897110
good point
>>29897113
She isn't totally on board, but it's early enough to where I'm sure I can still convince her
>>29897124
I like AR's but I know that's not something my mom can handle!
>>
>>29896797
>Thank you for your support! That's a S&W .38 you recommend, right? I'm worried the recoil to be too much

He means .38 Special. (.38 S&W is actually an slightly different obsolete cartridge.)
.38 spec does not have much recoil. If the gun is made of steel and has a 4" barrel it would be very comfortable to shoot.
>>
>>29896979
>>29897028
4 inch isn't a snub you retards
>>
>>29898847
This. Especially a heavy barrel model 10. Very light recoil and you I can get some pretty stout 38sp (model 10s are good for +p)
>>
>>29896367
If your mom isn't willing to train with it, then make sure it's double action only
Last thing we need is her forgetting her td and having a nd
>>
Get her a single stack. My mom love shooting my 1911 and can mag dump on a man size target at 15 feet. (Not bad for an over 50 year old woman who is inexperienced with guns)
>>
>>29896400
>.45
Calibre wars aside, they don't make the .45 variant with the superior magazine release. Go with 9x19 instead.
>>
>people were shot for over 500 years
>evolution occurs in a short amount of time (Finches)
>surviving Bullet resistant humans reproduce due to Natural Selection
>it's reached a point where handgun rounds have lower than 30% fatality

>implying anything under 4000 joules can reliably stop a modern man
375 H%H is the bare minimum but I would suggest something a bit stronger. I recommend a rifle chambered in 505 Gibbs. Delivering over 8000 joules of energy, the 505 should keep her safe at least until Generation Z humans develop into adults. Wear earpro of course.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.