[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so can we have a security guard thread? what is some good gear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: guard-fight[1].jpg (44 KB, 580x376) Image search: [Google]
guard-fight[1].jpg
44 KB, 580x376
so can we have a security guard thread?
what is some good gear to get?
what kind of baton is better ASP or side handle?
>>
>>29896346
With ASP you get lifetime warranty and potential legal defense if someone sues you for using it on them. That should be covered in your state endorsed baton training, along with authorized techniques.

Good gear to get are S&W cuffs rather than shitty cheap cuffs, because the key is small enough to fit all other cuff keyholes. If you buy cheap handcuffs then the key won't fit in the smaller S&W cuff keyhole. So just buy a pair of Smiths.

Get nylon everything is my suggestion. Only buy what your post and state endorsed security level authorizes you to carry. And have a god damn small notebook and pen on you at all times for Christ sake, too many guards don't carry note taking gear. So their shit is inaccurate when they try to remember small insignificant stuff.

And you are not a cop. You're just a dude hired to call the cops and give them info, if necessary. Please don't forget that. I saged your thread.
>>
>>29896346
Safariland/Bianchi for pouches.

Defense Tech 1.3% or Fox Labs 2% for pepper spray.

If you're not getting into and out of cars all the time or running sprints then side handle all the way. Otherwise, steel ASP, not that Airweight bullshit that doesn't have enough weight to put the hurt out.

Comfortable shoes. If you're serious about work then make sure to spend at least $70 on comfy duty shoes.

>>29896433
Everything this guy said.
>>
>>29896346
why nylon?
>>29896470
I'm leaning side handle seems to be better for blocking
>>
>>29896513
Not that anon, but easier than leather to decontaminate after you get bled/vomited/pissed on.

Nobody bothers to remember the fancy techniques, side handle is a better psychological deterrence mostly. Good on you if you practice with it though.
>>
>>29896609
I intend to do so not to get fancy but to at least have a measure of competence
>>
>>29897297
I did baton training for years in the military. For baton work, a measure of competence is not enough.

So in your case I'd HEARTILY recommend an asp.
>>
>>29896346
>what is some good gear to get?
what kind of post?
what's your threat model?
what's your company's use of force policy look like?

ASP is better, BTW.
>>
asp holsters are cheaply made though. be prepared to replaceit often.
>>
Any background on OPs pic? Looks like it has a fun story to it....
>>
>>29896513
A security guard DOES NOT use a side handle baton for blocking. That is not a realistic enough scenario to even need to fantasize about.

You'll only pull your baton if you are already being attacked and all lesser means of force have been exhausted or absolutely cannot otherwise be employed due to circumstances, then you pull and deploy the baton to use as a pain compliance tool.

Honestly as a security guard you will never pull your baton to block yourself from another primitive weapon. You will instead pull your pepper spray and spray them in the face while hastily backing away. Only a cowboy without knowledge of force continuum would go baton-to-baton with an attacker.

I know that's excessive info and probably beating a dead horse, but I think you aren't a guard yet so getting rid of some unrealistic notions before you become one will save you a lot of headache later.
>>
>>29896433
Always have a backup note taking app and a backup flashlight. And get a real flashlight not some $10 Walmart shit. It's good to have just for your car or BoB too.

Always carry mace. A $10 can cam save you from vicious dog/nigger attacks. Remember, retreat certainly is an option.

>>29896609
Leather is heavier and more expensive. If you're worried about blood and vomit get kydex/plastic stuff, blackhawk makes some.

I've been working security for 7 years and never been vomited or bled on. I'm also still only making 11.50 an hour after several promotions. I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>29898892
Nigga I was agreeing with you that leather sucks.

It's easier to clorox the fuck out of cordura belt pouches than it is finely oiled leather.
>>
>>29898897
he's not accusing you of promoting leather

site supervisor would like to have a word with you later for your language toward clients
>>
Side handle batons are a dead 90's fad. The idea was to train users in using them as Tonfas to block and do all the fancy strikes with it - in practice they ended up being used just like a straight baton. Absolutely no reason to go for them.

Straight batons are a tried and true classic, but awkward if you ride in a car. Otherwise, a decent expandable baton. Saps are nice if allowed, but walloping people upside the head with leather-wrapped lead shot just isn't PC anymore.

>>29896609
>Nylon easy to decontaminate
Nigga what? Nylon is fucking fabric. Shit soaks into it and never comes back out. Besides, most Nylon gear looks full on mall-cop grade.

Get a nice faux-leather set. It's worth the few extra bucks - it doesn't need any upkeep or polishing, it decontaminates easily, and lightweight. I like Bianchi Accumold Elite, but any reputable brand is probably fine for this.
>>
>>29898919
But a mall cop would be the guy that tries to copy real cops... Not that it matters you're going to look like a mall cop wither way, being a mall cop and all.

Leather just isn't worth the investment for a security gig imo. I was going to invest in some really cool looking 5.11 stuff but in the end it doesn't matter nobody cares what you're wearing so the most cost effective stuff is best. I'm not saying get a bunch of mismatched, repurposed multitool pouches. You know the cheap kind that come with the tool itself? There's a guy in my company like that.
>>
>>29898919
>most Nylon gear looks full on mall-cop grade

I think bianchi kydex on a nylon base looks a lot more subdued and less cop-like than all leather with leather belt keepers.

depending on the post, it pays to look subdued and as little like an actual cop as possible. subjective opinion, though
>>
>>29898940
It does depend on the post. Normal places don't want someone wearing a plate carrier looking like an operator. Ghetto ass places do. Ghetto people only respond to force and dominance. Our armed guys are encouraged to wear plate carriers, some even have steel rifle plates in them. Morale patches, med kits, the whole 9. We work some very shitty properties...

Side note don't get into that shit, not worth the little they're going to be paying you. All the guys that do it are fresh out of the service and see it as much less dangerous by comparison.
>>
File: maglite6d.jpg (73 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
maglite6d.jpg
73 KB, 400x225
This is what I carry in francuckistan, as carrying any weapon is absolutely banned for civilians, and expandable batons, tactical pens, pepper spray, etc are all considered weapons.
Meanwhile a light is just a light, regardless of its length and weight.
>>
I feel so blessed to be an American right now. Holy shit. We're walking around in black plate carriers with asps, spray, tasers on full charge, ALS light bearing holsters with no less than 3 JHP topped mags....to just walk around a section 8 apartment and yell/shakefist at stupid teenagers.

meanwhile in France...
>>
>>29896346
Neither, side batons are antiquated shit, and asp batons have all the striking capacity of a pool noodle.

Get an SL-20L flashlight and a loop for it on your belt and wallop the dog shit out of things with that instead.
>>
I'm getting my armed card soon, what's a good 9mm round for duty?

>>29898981
Can't do that in places like cali. You need a special license for spray and batons, like $100 a piece...
>>
>>29899000
Speer Gold Dot
Federal HST
Winchester Ranger/PDX/Defend
>>
>>29899000
>You need a special license for spray and batons
same here in TX Calibro.
>>
>>29898957
Where do you work?
>>
>>29899010
inappropriate question man
>>
File: 20160428_044659.jpg (860 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160428_044659.jpg
860 KB, 2048x1152
Maybe you guys can answer this

Do these work ok?
>>
>>29898848
Depends on what you brand you get. Condor and voodoo shit is gonna last about 5 minutes. I have a side break polymer rotating holster by asp that I've used for 3 years so far without it breaking.

The only problem I've had was the little plastic spacer piece fell out while I was chasing some fucker.
>>
>>29899014
kind of hazardous employment method....

in theory i'm sure it'd work fine but I wouldn't use one myself, because I wouldn't want it used on me, inappropriately, multiple times while i'm getting beaten up
>>
>>29899011
How? I don't give a shit about specific sites or companies, but the shithole city where you need a fucking plate carrier to work security.
>>
>>29899014
No

Best way to realize it is to buy one, test it on yourself, then return the piece of shit
>>
>>29899026
I'm not him but I'm like, the only other security dude in here and my company has the same shit going. We're in Ft Worth TX, which obviously can't be THAT bad.

But we have a lot of section 8 apartment contracts and it is exactly the same as other security dude's gearlist. we're encouraged to wear murdered out plate carriers, all level 3 gear, have appropriate JHP loaded, and wear body cams. It's a section 8 housing thing. That kind of environment actually does require that type of gear.
>>
>>29898864
>using OC on someone holding a deadly weapon
hey bud,,,about that force continuum...You meet weapins with deadly force. Batons when used by an attacker are considered a deadly weapon. Thats why your training teaches ypu to strike at the large muscle groups.
>>
I have worked about 3 security jobs over about 3.5 years total. I have never needed cuffs or a weapon of any sort (baton or pepper spray). If I did need those things, I would have just become a cop, because $9-$12 ain't enough to make me want to fight some fucker who may pull a gun or knife, and it ain't enough to make me make some kind of sperglord citizens/security arrest.

If they want a cop without a gun, they can pay me $20+ per hour for risking my life. Otherwise, I am just there for prevention and to report details to the police. If a verbal warning doesn't stop the action, then I am just calling the police.
>>
>>29899014
No! Its a contact weapon that only inflicts pain. It will not knock someone out....but it will really piss them off.
>>
>>29896433
Corrections Officer here, I would further recommend smith and Wesson hinge cuffs with sliding double locks. Not the regular chain cuffs with push-in double locks. I wear leather gear and hate cleaning blood and other stuff off of it. A lot of good recommendations here for you.
>>
>>29899039
>section 8
>district 9

Same thing desu
>>
>>29896346
Also, get some steel toe boots. Great for shit kicking, and also handy in case shit falls on your foot.
>>
>>29899039
i do impounds for the city. have a PC but never use it. you just need to make them know you will not take shit. you dont always need gear for that.
>>
>>29899060
Does it run on Vista?
>>
>>29896346
https://youtu.be/ggCY0Zi8IrM
>>
>>29898849
https://youtu.be/l_7fIYPzeFg

Security guard with muay thai training beats up a nignog
>>
>>29899010
Phoenix metro and surrounding areas. You don't NEED one, but we're not a state that gives a fuck about needs, if you want to wear one wear one. To my knowledge we haven't had anyone shot in our company, just shot at. There is one site that the residents will chase our guards off of though. They probably wouldn't if they saw a gun and vest.
>>
>>29899041
That's the thing about preparations... You don't need them until you do.

I hope you never learn the true meaning of need anon, I really do.
>>
>>29896470

The most important thing to learn is your local laws, what you really can and cannot do and always follow it. If you break the rules you will be left alone to face possible charges.

If Vexor 1,5% is available then that too is good OC.

Good shoes and a protective vest, either a NIJ II or IIIA provides enough protection against blunt objects, punches, kicks, some protection against stabbing/slashing and it even protects from most common handgun rounds. So get one.

Learn some basic wrestling skills. You dont need to be super good, but for example a basic judo course is something you should look into. BJJ not so much as at least in my home town they focus almost solely on on the ground, you also need to know how to force your opponent there.
>>
File: 1453990127862.jpg (598 KB, 1682x1088) Image search: [Google]
1453990127862.jpg
598 KB, 1682x1088
>>29896346
>no one mentioning darien long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un-j42bu_VA
>>
>>29899000
Hornady critical duty. Expensive but your life is worth it.
>>
>>29899356
This man is a hero
>>
>>29899975
From what I've seen they don't expand as much as HST's or gold dots...
>>
>>29900404

That's because they penetrate intermediate barriers better.
>>
>>29900423
Hmm. I'll have to look up more tests (unless you care to show me some). That could be an issue as I work apartment complexes and usually in the parking lots, a lot of situations could involve someone shooting from in or behind a vehicle.
>>
join the national guard, reserves
get some trainings and some college moneys
go to community college
get a better job...like starting your own security company with Veteran(lol)-Owned Small Business status.

I worked in the office for a security company that had contracts over multiple states, 'officers' we treated somewhere below old farm animals and disposable equipment.

I've heard that 400% turnover rate is the industry standard. People quit to go work at McDonalds at a pay cut because its so fucking boring and shitty.

True story, major airport, company uses a lined phone call system to punch in punch out at post throughout the airport, provided by the airport. Officers racked up huge bills calling phonesex lines. Airport authority refuses to pay. Company doesn't get contract renewed. No one punished... Womp womp wompppppp
>>
>>29900506

http://www.hornady.com/store/9MM-LUGER-P-135-gr-FlexLock-Critical-DUTY/

The tests on Hornady's site were conducted by an independent third party.
>>
>>29899356
Holy shit what a fucking boss. And fucking niggers too. Fuck them all
>>
File: angry panda.gif (2 MB, 320x221) Image search: [Google]
angry panda.gif
2 MB, 320x221
>>29899048
>hinge cuffs
Reserve Sheriff Deputy. Agreed on the Hinged Cuffs. Dindu isn't being placed in Cuffs for a fun vacation to a prime beach cell vacation. you want them to be easy to handle if you need to arrest them. Check out your Common law (read Citizens Arrest) compliance in your state and see what it takes to actually arrest someone.
>>
>>29898963
>francuckistan
lol where?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.