[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drifting Sights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1449185317414.png (482 KB, 672x537) Image search: [Google]
1449185317414.png
482 KB, 672x537
I'm having a problem with my PPS43 /k/. The front sight is too far left and I need to drift it (who the fuck does "factory" sight in? A Cyclops?). My issue is that no matter how hard I whack the drum, it won't budge. I've tried using WD 40 breakup formula on it overnight and still nothing.

How do you guys get your sights to move? Unfortunately there is no tool available for windage on this gun, so I'm stuck drifting this shit.
>>
I should also mention I need to do this on a few pistols too. Is there any way you goys stabilize your guns before a pounding, or do you just lay them on something padded and give them a few whacks?
>>
One last hope bump before you slide into the dark, dank abyss of 4chan...
>>
>>29894045
I've had a couple AKs where the sight drum was nigh unmovable, what I did was:
>try, and fail, to adjust it with sight tool, say fuck it and shoot it with kentucky windage anyway
>hit it with some really good thin penetrating lubricant when i got home, i really like LPS LTS for this purpose, give it time to penetrate, I left it overnight
>still couldn't get it to budge so i made cheater handles for my sight tool (extensions for the handle so you can get more leverage) and finally got it to break loose
>if you still can't get it at this stage you can try switching between heating and freezing it while adding lube occasionally and attempting to break it loose when hot/cold
I assume the PPS43 uses a drift sight though? But the same principles should apply, if you need a heavier hammer, you need a heavier hammer. It would be handy to either block it up on some scrap wood with clamps or secure it in a vise however you feel appropriate in order to wail on it. I think I ended up blocking up my VZ in order to change the hand guard because the roll pin was so thoroughly seized in place.
Might be worth it to see if you can safely finagle an AK/SKS sight tool on it. For what it's worth, there are fixtures out there made specifically for drifting sights, sort of the same basic concept as a bike chain tool.
>>
>>29894781
LPS TKX or LST*
>>
Thanks for the wisdom lad. That was actually very insightful. The shitty thing is, the AK tool is too thin for the fat front hood of the PPS, otherwise it's perfect. I could try blocking it up, but I might opt for rigging up a hand cranked thing like the AK tool, but with more clearance. I could do this at the range too, where banging on it just seems too inconvenient while sighting in.

I just got this thing sbr'd and it shoots like shit, so I'm still chomping at the bit to really shoot the thing and this is my last obstacle.
>>
>>29894149
Okay, listen up, this is important.

Sights are fitted tight so they don't move. You can't drift a sight unless you have the slide or barrel mounted completely rigidly in a vise.

What you need:
A real vise mounted to a non-movable bench.
Wooden or leather pieces to grip the gun.
A metal hammer.
A non-marring punch (usually brass) that's small enough to push the dovetail. If you use a hard steel punch you will gouge the shit out of your gun if you slip.

Moving dovetailed sights is harder than it seems. Get a gunsmith to do it unless you aren't really worried about messing up the finish on your gun (everyone has to learn somehow).
>>
>>29895340
Well that explains a lot. I knew they had to fit them tight, but I just always laid my shit out in a few rags on a carpet, held it down with my hand/kee, then started hammering. No wonder nothing ever moved. So leather pieces to grip and a non-moveable vise. The brass punch is another thing I need, as now I just use a steel one and cover it in a cloth. This is all great advice.
>>
>>29894045
>PPS43

I had the same problem with mine

You just need to chuck it really hard into a dumpster. The impact will hopefully shut the lid too.
>>
>>29895687
I actually really like the gun, just not the fact the sight is drifted too far. What made you dislike yours?
>>
Wait a minute, what if I used a c-clamp? Its basically a crude AK adjustment tool with much more clearance. Is it worth a try?
>>
>>29897013
You might be able to use a piece of wood to clamp the barrel onto the corner of a worktable.
>>
>>29897111
I'm saying actually use the c-clamp to push the sight. Like get the gun situated into a vise, then tighten the clamp into the sight drum and while one end will hold against the hood, the screw end should push into the drum and move it. Would that work?
>>
File: 1448844175378.png (269 KB, 342x328) Image search: [Google]
1448844175378.png
269 KB, 342x328
>>29895687
>he doesn't like semi-auto subgun clones
kill yourself my man
>>
>>29897165
I've never handled this type of gun so I don't know. You could wind up crushing something you don't want to crush.
>>
>>29894149
if you need to drift the sights on 1 gun fine if you need to drift em on multiple guns your eyes are fucked up
>>
>>29898890
Dude, I collect surplus guns and have around 40. There's bound to be a few that need adjusting.
>>
>>29895340
What direction are you hitting the dovetail sights out? I've removed a few now without trouble. Just use a brass punch with a moderate amount of force. Hit the sight on the left side. That's important. Dovetails are tapered. If you force it through from the right side, your swaging the dovetail and the sight won't go back as tightly.

On the rare instance that hitting from the left doesn't move the sight, try the same thing on the right. The dovetail might be cut the wrong way. It's rare but it happens. If it still doesn't work, go back to the left and quit being a manlet.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.