[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hearing loss
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9
File: im sorry what.jpg (75 KB, 1000x664) Image search: [Google]
im sorry what.jpg
75 KB, 1000x664
to all the people who have served:
what was your hearing like before and after service?
I mean I don't know but i don't think you wear ear pro or anything in war so your ears must go through some really loud noises.
you can't just go through all of that and not lose any hearing. tell me.
>>
>>29889752
Hearing isn't as bad as you think. Just had my auditory test a few months back and I only had issues in certain pitches associated with small arms gunfire and being around aircraft. Honestly QA and Saftey are pretty anal about ear pro
>>
>>29889752
>I don't think you wear earpro

It is entirely possibly to wear earpro in combat. I mean, I guess some people try to act tough by not wearing earpro, but that's a retard's game to play.

I wore either Surefire in-ear plugs or Peltor liberators dismounted, and the standard commo sets while mounted. My ears are totally fine.
>>
File: ESS + M05 + Active Earpro.jpg (232 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
ESS + M05 + Active Earpro.jpg
232 KB, 600x500
>>29889752
>I mean I don't know but i don't think you wear ear pro or anything in war
Way to show you know jack shit about anything.

In modern day and age, earpro is pretty much ENFORCED in any 1st world country -tier military. Be it basic muffs / plugs, or even the bit fancier electronic, noise-canceling cups, no soldier goes to war anymore without something covering your hearing. Any time there happens an accidental firing of weapon, any people near the weapon not wearing earpro are instantly sent to medical exams.

FYI, just your basic assault rifle can emit noise over 150db per shot, which can instantly damage your hearing. When it comes to large stuffs, like artillery and shit, double protection (plugs + muffs) is required.

That being said, I served in 08, and my hearing's pretty much the same as before it, thanks to the clear instructions and orders to ALWAYS. WEAR. YOUR. FUCKING. HEARING PROTECTION!
>>
>>29889752
6 years infantry, I got tinnitus from listening to music that was too loud apparently.
>>
>oh my gawd guys! you need to double up on that earpro!

>huh?! I can't hear you from doubling up!

>owwww!!! a brass casing hit my arm oweee!!

>d'oh my gawwd!! I'm getting lead residue on my $300 ysl t shirt!!!!

This is how you faggots sound like.
>>
>>29890366
If you want tinnitus bragging rights, you can have them.
>>
>>29890366
You more than welcome to enjoy your tinnitus as a badge of honor but calling people retarded for not making the same shitty life choices makes you the retard
>>
>>29890298
This is fucking bullshit because during my time in the fucking military they didn't go to each individual soldier and hand out fucking ear pro shit like candy.

We only had helmets and guns but no one had that time to throw in some bulky ass ear pros or ear muffs because right at the moment the enemy starts shooting at you that is when you have to quickly ingage and not take up that time fumbling around with your stupid ear pro because your gonna get shot also on a side note you have to use your ears to hear any small sounds that can indicate a fucker eith a shitty ak47 is around the corner and you can't hear that shit with bulky ear pros.

It's almost uncommon to see anyone wearing these except for the high reps and the "le ebic seal team may may" shit but for the common grunts like us that actually engage more in combat we don't get the luxury of having that shit over our ears because it's not inforced nor handed out to everyone.

So shut the fuck up with that bullshit lie that everyone in the military is inforced to have these high end ear pros because it isn't true dumbass.
>>
The artillery people are the main one's losing their hearing. It's a crapshoot if anyone else does.
>>
>>29890499
Earplugs are literally issued in basic training. In most units the earplug boxes are an inspectable part of personal equipment. In stateside training, earplugs are absolutely enforced. Deployment is slightly more lax, but even people who don't get inspected still tend to wear them. Because they don't want tinnitus.

The standard green/yellow issued plugs are active earpro, which means there is no situational awareness drawback to wearing them on patrol.

If you're doing QRF at the gate, maybe no time to put them in. But for a patrol of a guard shift? Absolutely done.

And that's just the GI basic issue that every lbody gets. A lot of units issue better in-ear active plugs, or electronic earpro. About half my unit had some variation of active earpro issued to them on my last deployment.

Not wearing earpro when it is available (and it very much is in the military) is stupid.
>>
>>29890499
>yo need to hear the guy around the corner with the AK

You know active ear plugs don't interfere with that yeah? And electronic muffs allow you to hear them *better*?

Nigga, you dumb.
>>
File: 1435788823427.jpg (4 MB, 4711x3144) Image search: [Google]
1435788823427.jpg
4 MB, 4711x3144
>>29890499
dunno when and where you served, but at least for a good 15 or so years, earpro's been pretty much obligatory. And with the already mentioned active earpro choices being so widely available, there's really no reason to neglect it either.
>>
>>29890557
Not the same guy but if this was the case then why are there so much video photage and pictures of soldiers shooting and doing missions without ear protectors?

What about works war one and two and the rest then on?
>>
>>29890593
This picture is sex.
>>
>>29890599
Are they not wearing them, or are they just in-ear that aren't visible? Some soldiers will not wear them for the machismo factor, but many pictures have them if you look close.

>What about WW1 & WW2

Why do you think so many grandpas have such shit hearing?
>>
File: 1342729582261.jpg (4 MB, 2914x1943) Image search: [Google]
1342729582261.jpg
4 MB, 2914x1943
>>29890599
People literally didn't understand the importance of hearing protection, or rather the delicacy of human hearing, before just quite recently. Hell, even PTSD is a fairly new "finding", no matter that the term "shell shock" has been around for almost a century.

In modern days, everyone wears earpro.
Those who don't appear to do so are either wannabe badasses, or too poor to acquire good ones that wouldn't restrict your awareness.
>>
>>29890659
The guy in the middle isn't even a soldier anyway, so there is also that to consider.
>>
>>29889752
>before
Perfect
>after
I wear hearing aids, 80% hearing loss

Aviation maintainer. We wore earpro. It was wholly inadequate. Our crew headsets are only 19NRR, some aircraft exceed 220dB. Aftermarket hearing protection was banned.
>>
>>29889752
WHAT WAS THAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>29889752

11 years and counting. Hearing was above average when I joined (according to the test). Last my results weren't as good, but just by a little bit. I'm obsessive about wearing hearing protection.
>>
File: best hearing protection.jpg (44 KB, 730x445) Image search: [Google]
best hearing protection.jpg
44 KB, 730x445
Wanna live a life without the "EEEEEEE!!!" ?
Double up, with electronics!

Crank the volume all the way up while wearing plugs, and you still hear normal conversation and safe sounds, while you're simultaneously perfectly protected from hazardous noise levels.

I do this every time I go to range nowadays. Better safe than sorry.
>>
Nogunz here.
What earpro will protect you from hearing damage and still allow you to clearly understand what's going on around you?
>>
>>29890893
Anything "active". That's all electronic earmuffs, plus stuff like Surefire EP4s. USGI green and yellow plugs work too, but are much less comfy.
>>
File: 1462126918017.jpg (101 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1462126918017.jpg
101 KB, 540x960
>>29890366
T. Someone who has literally never been in an enclosed room with a gun firing whilst wearing no hearing pro

Pic related, do it
>>
>>29889752
We took care of our ears. Hearing was not changed after serving.

>>29890499
>candy
Yeah right.
We had some exercises and had some guys with extreme hearing. In mountains sound carries where you cannot see with night vision or thermal. But we heard the enemy. So we could circle round and surprised the enemy.

Only the truly stupid underestimate the value of acute hearing.
>>
>>29890736
WHAT? YOU GOT SHEAR FLU? THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!
>>
>>29890893
see >>29890812
>>
>>29891010
WHAT DOES MENSA WANT WITH YOU YOURE DUMB AS SHIT
>>
>>29890930
What's a really.good active plug? And are there any active muffs that don't cause issues with cheek weld and don't come loose when you attain proper cheek weld?
>>
>>29891172
SIT? SIT WHERE? WHAT MESA?
>>
>>29891183
Surefire EP5s are pretty good. As far as muffs, I like my Sordins. Good cheek weld, works well under a helmet, and has hookups available for everything from a cell phone to satcomms.
>>
>>29891369
REPEAT PLEASE!
>>
>>29890620
Why do you think they tend to yell?
>WHAT?!
>>
>>29890812
This desu lads
>retards will cry and whine about doubling up
>safty is stoopid u poosies real men like me OC a 10mm in condition 0 CAUSE IM READY TO GO BRO
>>
File: image.png (368 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
368 KB, 1136x640
>>29891470
repeat pls
>>
>>29891568
>Not carrying in condition fabric

You are a fag tho
>>
>>29890298
>assault rifle

WEWLAD
E
W
L
A
D
>>
>>29891720
suck muh nutz fuccboii
>>
>>29891390
Are the EP5s active? Like can you hear conversations and shit or do they block everything.
>>
>>29891749
>Implying the military doesn't use assault rifles

Really?
>>
>>29891819
They are active.
>>
>>29891792
You want to 69 with me faggot?
>>
>>29891854
>buying in the a-sualt riffle meme

Really?
>>
>>29890930
What's the best E-muff for directional hearing?
>>
>>29891907
To be clear, you think that assault rifles are not a thing?
>>
>>29891890
Send your mom over and ill see if she wants to taste my testies lmao
>>
>>29891929
Fuck you faggot I already sucked your mom's dick twice today.
>>
>>29892765
Jokes on you i crossdress as your mom and you just sucked my dick you faggot
>>
File: 1436648900578.jpg (188 KB, 500x666) Image search: [Google]
1436648900578.jpg
188 KB, 500x666
>>29893105
>>29892765
>>29891929
>>29891890
>>29891792
>>
>>29889752
if we were in the trucks we had noise cancelling headphones with mics on there for an internal intercom so we could talk to each other inside the truck and then we had them hooked up to the radios system so we could key out and talk to the other trucks. when we were walking some people had noise canceling headphones that could connect to radios so they could still talk but pretty much everyone went without ear protection. in a fire fight it is so hard to hear people that ear plugs would have made it impossible
>>
Oh boy this tinnitus/earpro maymay is fucking cancerous.

>Le shooting a rifle once without earpro will always gib le EEEEEE!
>Le pretend I misheard le 5chinz forum tweet!
>Le get triggered by shitlords not wearing earpro then post about how you shot a "fun" with no earpro and have le EEEEEE

We need chemo for this summertime cancer.
>>
>>29891907
>assault rifle
>meme
Ive got bad news...
>>
File: pupper.jpg (149 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
pupper.jpg
149 KB, 600x400
>>29889752
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.