[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think that destroying ancient artifacts should be considered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: gif-mosul-museum.gif (1002 KB, 640x423) Image search: [Google]
gif-mosul-museum.gif
1002 KB, 640x423
Do you think that destroying ancient artifacts should be considered a war crime? Also stuff like cathedrals, monuments, libraries and museums etc. Where do you draw the line?
>>
>>29889672
>Do you think that destroying ancient artifacts should be considered a war crime?
I don't want to be charged with a war crime for what I did to your mom's pussy, so no.
>>
>>29889676
First reply best reply.
>>
Tbh it should be considered a part of genocide. Destroying a people's cultural heritage is part of destroying all evidence that they were ever here.
>>
>Do you think that destroying ancient artifacts should be considered a war crime?
Yes
>Also stuff like cathedrals, monuments, libraries and museums etc.
If they contain ancient artifacts, then yes
>>
>>29889686
This is a reasonable point.
>>
>>29889672
Looting the middle east funded the renaissance, was it wrong to take all the treasure from the conquered kingdoms there?
>>
>>29889689
>breaking a statue
>same as the systematic killing of a certain ethnicity or group of persons
Wut
>>
It IS a war crime
>>
>>29889792
Look up cultural memory, want to destroy a culture? Destroy their link to the past.
>>
>destroying ancient artifacts should be considered a war crime

There's a bunch of good UN declarations on this, crime is defined by law, which by definition is arbitrary, so yes.

>stuff like cathedrals, monuments, libraries and museums etc.

Again, arbitrary definition. If you declare it to be protected it's a crime.

What "should" be under this definition? IMO any building older than 100 years unless being used in direct military capacity. Most cities would thus be exempt from war, making this unrealistic, but hey, I'm being arbitrary.

I mean the real question is does anyone give a shit about people dying, and the really amazing thing to watch in Syria is people taking the wrong side on this issue in the media/politics/facebook.
>>
Destroying the ancient artefacts of a culture is tantamount to trying to subject said culture to damnatio memoriae, and as such, could easily be considered a part of genocide, if one uses the definition that includes trying to erase a culture from existence rather than a specific race.
>>
File: snek confus.jpg (50 KB, 458x750) Image search: [Google]
snek confus.jpg
50 KB, 458x750
>>29889801
Why aren't we allowed to go maximum freedom on enemies that don't follow war laws? They don't care. And america has a stockpile of things it can't use anymore that would end a war far quicker if we could use them.

>inb4 napalm is supa destructive
It's the desert. Sand burns like crap.
>>
>>29889672
Well if the U.S made an entire platoon of soldiers to save the Jews' culture, then I think its a part of genocide. In which case it is a "war crime". How ever, the phrase "war crime" generally refers to a rule being broken within the countries that signed the Geneva Convention. So to say its a "war crime" generally wouldn't be an accept term.

But lets look at the whole situation that is west asia right now. You have the Sunni (I cant actually remember which ISIS is) and the Shiites, the Christians, the Jews and everyone in between. The CIA funded the Sunnis to battle Syria. It turned itself into ISIS, which is killing all the other religious groups for not believing the Sunni way. They're destroying lives, land, artifacts, and any thing that points to any other eay of life besides theirs.

So to say they're commuting war crimes would not be the right term. The right term would be "Genocide". They are doing the exact same thing as Hitler did, but with ANYONE who doesn't believe their way, not just people who look different. So no, I dont think it should be a war crime. I think it should be called a Genocide, not a war.
>>
>>29889841
>Why aren't we allowed to go maximum freedom on enemies that don't follow war laws?

There are fucking B-52's JDAM'ing their positions right now. What the fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>29889845
>I think it should be called a Genocide, not a war.
Now you are just arguing Semitics
>>
>>29889856

Which hasn't done jack shit to them or slowed their momentum.
>>
>>29889856
>maximum freedom
>only one example of a part of the maximum freedom
>thinks its fine enough for just B-52's
Nigga, he meant MAXIMUM FREEDOM. Entire Armies, Planes, Ships, Helicopters, the entirety of the U.S Muhreens, and, sending over by the hoards, our culture. Fat feminists, Mexicans, McDonald's, BurgerKing, KFC, untill they become little America.
>>
>>29889856
For real?
Why aren't they all dead yet?
>>
>>29889672

No, because then suddenly all the garbage the Soviets built would be protected by law.
>>
>>29889803
I can see where your coming from and I agree it should be punishable as a war crime, but to put it on the same level as genocide is a bit overkill. Also I doubt that in today's age of technology that we'll see any erasure of a culture in that fashion, excluding some lost indigenous tribes and the like.
>>
>>29889876
>Which hasn't done jack shit to them or slowed their momentum.

Then you're clearly completely ignorant of the situation of their large territorial losses and advancement of Kurdish/Iraqi/SAA/Rebels onto their positions.
>>
>>29889684
No it wasn't, it was fucking stupid
>>
>>29889876
They've lost 40% of their territory in Iraq over the past year you fucking idiot
>>
>>29889916
Still a part of their history. Maybe it's a good thing to remember the hammer and sickle.

Maybe I'm just sensitive because of those faggots tearing down Confederate war memorials.
>>
>>29889757
Taking != destroying
>>
>>29889672
No.
While i do think it should be avoided when possible making it war crime would be too much.
>>
>>29890854
It's already a war crime.
>>
>>29889672

Too much UN peacocking and beuracracy. And I don't think these kinds of people deserve to be treated as civilized individuals.

Those involved, at whatever level, should be quietly identified and assassinated instead. Simpler, no grandstanding, and savages get what savages deserve.
>>
>>29889672

Yes.They destroy everything not limited to christian artifacts too.
>>
File: churchgold.jpg (496 KB, 1600x1061) Image search: [Google]
churchgold.jpg
496 KB, 1600x1061
>>29890845
>muslim artifacts
>>
>>29889672
Deliberately, yes, but it shouldn't be if it's an accident.
>>
File: 9G8Om.gif (2 MB, 500x286) Image search: [Google]
9G8Om.gif
2 MB, 500x286
>>29892877
>2000 year old relics
>>
>>29892887
If a guy's hiding behind a statue, it's complete BS if pushing the statue over to kill him is a warcrime
>>
>this whole thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojB5fpoeQ2c
>>
No. The punishment for war crimes is hanging, and I don't think that destroying buildings, no matter how egregious a crime that is deserves death.
>>
>>29889686
but anon, liberals are already destroying your cultural heritage
>>
>>29889672
Yes
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.