[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tanto Blades
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (8 KB, 212x238) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
8 KB, 212x238
Are tanto blades a meme? What are the advantages of a tanto point instead of a drop point or spear point knife? I get that it's supposed to be stronger for slashing since more of the blade width is behind the cutting edge, but how much stronger and is this actually worth it? Also I hear they're a bitch to maintain. Pic related just found a random tanto knife.
>>
Easier to maintain than anything with serrations

Oh man u have to sharpen 2 diff angles big whoop
>>
>>29889336
Yes
None
No
No
>>
Snap cuts
>>
File: rps20160319_084601.jpg (108 KB, 812x752) Image search: [Google]
rps20160319_084601.jpg
108 KB, 812x752
>>29889336

They, more so, had a point years and years ago, but from what I've gathered with today's metallurgy its not "needed" anymore.

Having said that I love them, I find that even with extended use (Deployment) the angle portion remains sharper than either blade edges.

Also, if you have one, observe where the edge is actually cutting while cutting something. Ive found that one edge cuts more than the other hence one edge keeps sharper, longer.
>>
Advantages: Less likely to break if you have to stab a car hood.

A straight edge might be desirable for some uses.
>>
>>29889336
Not really a bitch to maintain when you know what's going on, you have to sharpen it as two separate edges, people who try to sharpen both edges in one pass have trouble with them
>>
>>29889407
You were in the military and you liked the tanto while deployed?

Did you carry a fixed blade? Did you notice any trends or anything that was common among knife users there?
>>
>>29889448
Not him but I actually carried both a tanto fixed blade and folder on my last deployment.
>>
>>29889475
Did you like the tanto specifically or did it perform about the same as you would expect any blade profile to?

What knives did you carry? Did you see any that were common?
>>
File: image.jpg (258 KB, 3124x753) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
258 KB, 3124x753
>>29889487
I've always liked tantos myself. It everyday tasks I find it performs better than some profiles like spear or clip points. I carried this trash on my flight vest, I bought it before I knew a whole lot about knives but just needed something full tang and sturdy. The folder I used was a CRKT M16zt, and I loved that thing. Most guys carried cheap folders and most of my crew chiefs just had a multitool.
>>
File: rps20160314_180002.jpg (60 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
rps20160314_180002.jpg
60 KB, 576x1024
>>29889448

I was in a cavantry (Ultra light, stripped down) unit so no one, that I noticed, had blades fixed on them other than a folding knife of some kind which many did own. Most people use their letherman's knife for cutting.

Now I have a fixed Glock knife on my plate carrier for killing, my Benchmades for utility/self defence while stateside. I know the chance of its use is minor at best...but without one I can't get that confirmed knife kill.
>>
Pros: tip is stronger since it's a fat angle

Cons: not good for actually cutting stuff
>>
>>29889530
Cool, thanks for replying

The s&w are OK for the price in my experience, good for a knife that you treat like shit
>>
>>29889547
Saw back or plain?
>>
>>29889551
The fuck are you cutting? At some point a blade is a blade and it's about how sharp your edge is
>>
>>29889588
If you have to stroke the blade the drop-off gets really annoying and inconvenient
>>
File: rps20160509_094508.jpg (131 KB, 1026x752) Image search: [Google]
rps20160509_094508.jpg
131 KB, 1026x752
>>29889571

Plain. Saw it at LGS for some $20. Went in for gun shit and left with that.
>>
>>29889336
They were designed for stabbing armored targets like samurai or in modern times maybe a flak jacket. That's the only thing they're better at but I guess if you were knife fighting the SWAT team you'd be a bit better off with that style, possibly anyway, probably more likely to make it through old metal eastern block helmets too.
>>
>>29891163
When you're knife-fighting a SWAT team during assault, last thing you want is to jab at the plate with your tiny ass knife instead of limbs, neck or groin.
>>
>>29891163
>samurai or in modern times
Traditional tantos and American tantos are two different animals
>>
>>29889414

Why the fuck you wanna stab a car?
>>
>>29891606
what if you're attacked by a roving herd of cars?
>>
>>29891606
Sometimes haji has it coming and that new Mercedes is his pride and joy.
>>
File: Mainger-Germain-christine.png (782 KB, 1860x1209) Image search: [Google]
Mainger-Germain-christine.png
782 KB, 1860x1209
>>29891606
>>
>>29891606

Lynn Thompson the owner of Cold Steel is why tantos are around. In the 80's he brought out the recon Tanto knife, and made about a million videos of it's penetrating power, mostly by stabbing car doors and hoods.

Not saying he invented it, but he definitely made it swat tactical cool.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.