[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sniper calculous I saw a sniper show they explained some calculus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 30-06 pump.jpg (9 KB, 450x102) Image search: [Google]
30-06 pump.jpg
9 KB, 450x102
sniper calculous
I saw a sniper show they explained some calculus for rangefinding.
you take an object you know the size of downrange. A car or a doorway, you use the dots on the scope to measure the angle and use that side and the angle the get the range. DESU im a little rusty on Sin, Cos, tan in relation to a triangle. Its really similar to a Side-angle-Side things from high school.

>Anyone got the calculus formulas for me so i don't have to record the next run of the sniper show
also general riflery thread
>>
your point of observation, top (or left) of a target (or reference object), and bottom (or right) of target create a triangle
If your target or reference object is of a known size, you can then measure the angle with subtensions in your optic

the calculation of your distance to the target is then going to equal be
d = ReferenceSize*Tan(MeasuredAngle)
>>
>>29886553
Sine is opposite over hypotenuse.
Cosine is adjacent over hypotenuse.
Tan is opposite over adjacent.

Not too hard to memorize.
Also, this is algebra.
>>
P.S. its trignometry, not calculus
>>
>>29886601
shit Im sorry I meant /Tan(measured angle)
>>
>>29886601
thnx ur great
So assumably its d=3ft doorway*tan(10degrees) and that should be 300yrds
or d=3ft doorway*tan (5degrees) should be 600yrds
Now gotta google and memorize 5 degrees into radians in my head :/
>>29886624
ur a dick, also anything with tangent is calculus.
>>
>>29886714
>Anything with tangent is calculus

Confirm for nomaths
>>
>>29886714
Differentials and integrals are calculus. Laplace transforms are calculus. Tangents are geometry/trig.
>>
>>29886714
pi/36= 5 degrees. pi/18=10 degrees
>>
File: diagram.png (6 KB, 768x293) Image search: [Google]
diagram.png
6 KB, 768x293
The first reply had it backwards but he later corrected himself. Here's a paint graphic.
>>
>>29886746
/k/ is so helpful tonight.
>>
>>29886553
Mildot scopes are easy math
Height in mils of a 1 unit item * 1000= distance in units
>>
>>29886553
>you use the dots on the scope to measure the angle
wat.

if you know your reticle measurements and a common object's size you can measure using your reticle and get a quick and dirty range with some simple math.
>http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Distances-With-a-Mil-Dot-Rifle-Scope
then you would correct for other variables such as angle and elevation, other environmental and ballistic factors

https://www.youtube.com/user/TiborasaurusRex
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNSSF

both have some good introductory videos to the concepts, i don't know how you're finding an angle with your reticle unless you have a level on it and are just assuming you're being close enough to precisely holding it flat while determining angle of deviation from the center.
>>
>>29886655
This
>>
Size of target in yards X 100 / mil reading - Range in yards

Size of target in INCHES x 27.778 / mils = range in yards

Size of target in INCHES x 25.4 / mils = Range in meters.
>>
>>29886553
(Size of target in [ANY UNIT]/mil reading)*1000= range in [ANY UNIT]
>>
>>29887207
[ANY UNIT] being the same on both sides of the equation, obviously.
>>
>>29886856
first mildot is 5degrees, second is 10.
>>
How much math and physics are snipers expected/required to know? How much of that are they supposed to do in the field?

Calculus just seems kind of extreme, given that some basic trig and physics could accomplish the same purpose much faster while likely also being more accurate.
>>
>>29887263
the show i watched showed the snipers with special calculators for their purpose
>>
So what every happened to 25.4 times the target size in inches, divided by how many mil dots the target is?

Too inefficient because it works off a known target size?
>>
File: 1367558313352.jpg (30 KB, 336x497) Image search: [Google]
1367558313352.jpg
30 KB, 336x497
>>29886714
>anything with tangent is calculus.
just stop and only shoot at things you dont need equations to hit.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.