[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: 1413034195030.cached.jpg (266 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
1413034195030.cached.jpg
266 KB, 2000x1333
/meg/- Military Enlistment General
ISIS edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/6764857

Ask questions, get advice from retards on how to lie on the poly, bitch about recruiters, accuse each other of stolen valor, just keep it in this general.
Use the IRC pussies just kidding it's dead
>>
Why is it so fucking hard to find a 1:25,000 map
>>
>>29881951
Do you need a degree to go far in the canadian military? Would it be worthwhile to wait and graduate with a degree(26) or just to enlist right now, either way i think i would prefer just enlisting as a grunt then a officer. I just think going back to school after the military might be tough.
>>
File: cryingpepe.jpg (47 KB, 800x522) Image search: [Google]
cryingpepe.jpg
47 KB, 800x522
Any Enlisted bongs here

Is it just me that actually likes forward assisting?
>>
>>29881990
Some people are destined to be enlisted. You wouldn't be able to handle college.
>>
File: beaten by a girl.jpg (93 KB, 800x568) Image search: [Google]
beaten by a girl.jpg
93 KB, 800x568
Any E-6s on here? You guys are doing a great job.
If you work really hard and put your mind to it, you can become an E-7 and eventually make as much money as a 23 year old 2LT.
>>
>>29882183

>tfw I'll be making more than my dad did as an e7 with 20 years in as a fucking captain
>>
Anyone make it as a 35p? Any advice for the dlab test? Also what is the job like these days.
>>
>>29881951
Going in direct accession as a 66F US Army. From civ to CPT (maybe even MAJ) in no time flat.
Dat cushy doctor money.
Signing paperwork end of year.
>>
>>29882042

I hope his seniors beat his ass for that shit.
>>
>>29881990
well you sound like a motivated individual. lmao.

#E-2forlife
>>
>>29883028

What does that having to do wrt to being enlisted, friend?
>>
>>29882183
E7s make more because of BAH/BAS.

I get that you're baiting, but at least use O3 as the comparison, that's where officer money gets really good.
>>
>>29883112
Oh shit, didn't read enough into OP's post.
I'll be leaving now :(
>>
>>29881951
Femanon here. I'm looking to become a marine. Are combat roles still closed off to women? What do I need to do to make the cut? I don't take any shit.
>>
>YOU HAVE FIVE MINUTES TO SHIT, SHOWER, AND SHAVE!
>>
>>29883400
>He doesn't do all three within a 5 second window all in one spot
>>
>>29882183

>going into the military to make money

you dumb as hell man
>>
>>29883400
question about this.
>be at basic
>be a grown ass man with a beard
>shave in one minute
>get smoked for having stubble
>have to shave dry while DI is having an aneurysm

or
>set alarm for 3:50am
>shave while everyone is sleeping
>get lit the fuck up for being out of my bunk
>get smoked anyway

is there a way to do this correctly? i have a 5 o'clock shadow by noon
>>
>>29883494
In BCT they gave us 20 mins to wake up shit/shave/brush teeth, be in correct uniform, make beds and make sure the bay was clean. Then we had to be outside in formation to conduct PT.
>>
>>29883594
what happens if you just took your shit in the middle of the night
>>
>>29883623
you can use the bathroom in the middle of the night. You have fireguard pulling shifts all the time. they are there to make sure you dont off yourself
>>
>>29883644
I'll be sure to take my shits at 3:30am, daily
>>
>>29881951
Retard again
Do the military or army more specifically care about scars.
And if so how do I get rid of them?
>>
>>29883782
depends on what kind and where theyre at
>>
>>29883793
Left fire arm but one looks like an a mistake and three look like cat scratches that are kind thick.
Less the. A few mm
>>
>>29883814
say cat scratch, work injury, skateboard injury, anything but selfharm
>>
>>29883814
Left fore arm, very thin, thinking of telling them it's was landscaping work pulling thorn bushes without a long sleeve.
Still am going to rub lemon juice and other oils on the skin to heal it.
Am also thinking of using that shit that pregnant women use to take away strech marks because if I can't make these go away then I'm fucked.
Didn't help my mom told my whole family I wanted to so I can't join I'm moving to Mexico.
Kenny mother fucking powers, out.
>>
>>29883875
what's this guy talking about, someone translate
>>
>>29883947
Scar on arms
We're deliberate
Wants to know how to remove them
Or if the army even give a shit
If can't join army will be a sack of shit
Sorry for blog posting
>>
File: 05.jpg (35 KB, 401x450) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
35 KB, 401x450
>been trying to contact unit career counselor for the past 3 weeks
>has been ignoring calls and emails
This is getting ridiculous. Ive been trying to get in touch with this asshole for a long time, but he keeps ignoring phone calls. Should I just go talk to a recruiter? Im trying to reclass and my AGR is full shitheads.
>>
>>29883964
you got it from manual labor, not because you're a pussy
>>
>>29882042
Autism central
>>
>>29883477
Why else would anyone join?
To protect their country?
Loving every Laugh
>>
>>29883349

all combat roles across every branch are now open to women
>>
>>29883477

Enlisted at 21. Now 25 and making more than 90% of my High School class that didn't get good STEM salaries right out of college.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think military wages + benefits are better than what most people end up with.
>>
>>29884479
branch and MOS? are you going to reup or are you getting out?
>>
>>29884520
Army, 35F. Got two years left on my contract and I'm not sure if I want to reup again. Should make E-6 next year, but I just finished my bachelors and I might pick up a contracting gig.
>>
>>29884610
that was my second choice. know any 35N? did i make a bad decision?
>>
>>29884479

You're both right. Military officers make better than your average college grad. Military enlisted make better money than your average college grad.

But if you're in for the money you fucked up.
>>
>>29884667

Sigintbros are pretty cool. I am on the autistic side for a 35F, so I tend to get along with novembers better. It's a solid MOS wth good civvy opportunities
>>
>>29884810
maybe I'll see you around in about 6 months
>>
>>29884835
Maybe, but probably not. It's a big Army, even in the small 35-series pocket of it.
>>
>>29881951
US Army Reserves question

How tough are the boards for 09S contracts these days? And is to too greedy to push for Ranger, Airborne AND sapper in the contract?

Figure being an officer is only as awesome as you make it, and Uncle Sam doesn't have to pay for my degrees since I did that shit myself.
>>
>>29884610
Do it. You won't regret it dude.
>>
>>29884610

Why not bootstrap?
>>
>>29885033
?
>>
>>29885011

The freedom of being a civilian again would be nice, but it's scary giving up the Army's safety net. I'd be going balls deep for civilian-land if I was single, but I have a wife now and we want to have kids at some point. I can't really afford to miss the mark and end up living in a truck with no health insurance.

If I can get a reliable pay raise I might jump ship, but that's around the $80,000/yr mark for me. Those contracts exist, but they aren't as stable as the military, nor would they allow me to retire at 41~. The ideal situation would be a stable government job, but that $80K mark is like GS11+.

When I joined I was sure I would be out and on with my life in no time, I never wanted to be a lifer. I see how it happens now, though.
>>
>>29885102
Lad just stay in, retire at 41 and then pick up a contract if you want to.
>>
>>29884945
i heard there's really only 4 places that i can be stationed if i don't get attached to SOF, care to verify?
>Meade
>Gordon
>Korea
>Hawaii
really hoping for Maryland or Georgia
>>
>>29885138

>Hawaii is on that list
>Hoping for fucking Maryland or Georgia
>>
>>29884997
yes, please wear airborne ranger and sapper in the reserves. post a pic of it on here, too
>>
>>29885102
my recruiter was 35F E5 and got out for a bit and made $105k/year checking people's social media for red flags. that lasted 2 years then they lost the contract, so he re-enlisted. those jobs are out there for sure. if you want to live in the middle east
>>
>>29885151
>obviously never lived in Hawaii
>>
>>29885102
Id kill to be in your position dude. Im a reservist and only make 300 dollars a month, and have a civ job that only pays 8 usd an hour. Its true, being a Civilian sucks, but you have everything you need to make it. If you re-up, the army is just gonna hold you back and get in your way. But at the end of the day, its your decision.
>>
>>29885138

Not really true, there are some 35Ns in all the combat divisions, as well as being smattered throughout a bunch of intel units.

If you're working a hardcore strat mission, then yeah there are a small handful of duty stations, including those you listed.
>>
File: BritDontBloodyThink.jpg (8 KB, 175x288) Image search: [Google]
BritDontBloodyThink.jpg
8 KB, 175x288
>>29883349
Girls? On MY /k/?!?
>>
>>29885215
Not that other guy, but iver heard from people stationed there it becomes a real small island real quick. Only ever visited myself on deployments while i was in the navy.
>>
What is the likelihood that I, a reasonably fit 20 year old with no previous military experience, could get into the US Coast Guard?
>>
>>29885310
why would you not be a able to
>>
>>29885321
im gay and have a partner
>>
>>29885333
Fuck off not me

>>29885321
Are there a lot of people who go for it?
>>
>>29885310

If you're fit, don't care about your job, and don't have a record then it's pretty much just a matter of being patient.

The Coast Guard is super tiny so they tend to have a long waiting list and little/no ability to choose your job before you sign up.
>>
I live in an apartment and been thinking about joining the National Guard. Will i have to set up automatic payments for my rent while im away for training
>>
>>29885265
i want to get into tactical. i've heard if you go tac THEN strat, you have a huge advantage to the guys who do the opposite.
i've also been told
>if you want to do cool shit, go airborne
>if you want to go to cool schools, do not go airborne
a lot of my info comes from intel people, r/army, and shadowspear. but very rarely to any ACTUAL novembers talk about it. its all second or third hand knowledge
>>
>>29885338
ok dude you know that you are me
and i am you
in fact i am replying to myself
have a (you) me
>>
>>29885340
Thanks. If I do get in, will I be able to shoot at drug runners? Should I just join the Navy instead?
>>
>>29885375
Coast Guard is fucking awesome, i don't see why they don't get more love on here
>>
>>29885346
>i want to get into tactical. i've heard if you go tac THEN strat, you have a huge advantage to the guys who do the opposite.

I mean, it depends on what you want to do, I wouldn't call it a "huge advantage". It is good to see both sides, and seeing strat first tends to make for a more awkward transition than seeing tactical first.

Tactical intel isn't all its cracked up to be. Yeah you can get attached to SF and then tell chicks you're a green beret so you can get laid (even though you never were), but most tactical intel guys right now are twiddling their thumbs waiting for a war along with everyone else in a line unit.

Both strategic and tactical assignments get cool schools, depending on your definition of cool. Tactical guys get more shots at things like air assault/airborne which sound cool but nobody on the outside cares about. Strategic guys get training on specialized software/systems that sound boring as shit but can be money later on down the line.

>but very rarely to any ACTUAL novembers talk about it. its all second or third hand knowledge

Intel life is either waiting around for real work to do, which is boring to talk about, or doing [REDACTED], which you can't talk about. Makes for shitty story telling. Most likely you'll work in an office, spend a lot of time staring at a computer screen, some time writing reports, and some time in meetings (receiving briefings or giving them).
>>
File: aa7.jpg (11 KB, 213x250) Image search: [Google]
aa7.jpg
11 KB, 213x250
>>29885482
would it be worthwhile enlisting in the 35 series with a degree then to get the TS clearance and do intel shit? since i know army ocs doesnt give you the option and i might get stuck as a quartermaster or some shit.
>>
>>29885527

Look mate, working for the civilian agencies requires a bachelor's degree. Intel as an enlisted won't hurt you, but it isn't going to get you through the door by itself. Get your two year out of the way in the service, then get your bachelor's as you get out (don't know if you can get it while in).

Then apply.
>>
>>29885558
i got my degree already its why im asking
>>
>>29885482
i live at bragg, i really would hate to be stationed here after basic, AIT, and airborne school lol.

if i get in the top whatever percent of my class, instead of writing a wishlist, can i just write NOT BRAGG in all the slots?

fuck it, i guess if i want to do tactical, bragg gives me a pretty decent chance at that. if i went to Gordon, i'd never get to leave the office for my entire enlistment

i wish November Rain would start drunk shitposting on here and let me know what to do. haven't seen him in a while.

>my naval intelligence officer dad is telling me "go Meade, go strat, intel community "
>my SF stepdad is telling me "get a ranger contract in AIT, go SOT-A/B, SOF community "

both definitely have their merits
>>
>>29885527

There's a lot of guys that come into 35-series jobs with degrees because they want to do this. It's an option, but I'd shotgun applications to pretty much every IC agency and contractor before I enlisted for it. If you have a degree and you're smart and clean enough to enlist into the intel community, you can probably land an entry-level job as a civilian and work your way up from there.
>>
>>29885606

Dude... what the fuck. Go the the CIA's fucking website and just straight fucking apply.
>>
>>29885639

You're going to have to put on your big boy pants and make your own life decisions eventually. Decisions have trade-offs.

The worst thing you can do is be bitter about where you end up. I've known guys in the tactical side that weren't cut out for it and hated it, and guys on the strat side that weren't cut out for it and hated it. When they were bitter and shitbaggy, it was really apparent. Be positive and motivated and you're more likely to be able to work towards whatever you decide you want.
>>
>>29885749
>>29885708
but i doubt i'd get it
they all want experience to get a job and i cant get a job without experience and i cant get experience without a job and i cant get a job without experience and I can't get experience without a job
seems like joining the military would be easier
>>
>>29885768
SOT-A all day, just incredibly difficult to get there. that's why I'd like to be on the tactical side, see how it all works on the ground before i go strategic and see "bigger picture." just do as much as i can on the nerd side and the combat side. from what i understand, that's not something you apply for
>>
>>29885845
>they all want experience to get a job

What they're really looking for is someone with enough life experience to know that job listings are mostly bullshit "ideal candidate" requests.

Apply for anything you're even somewhat qualified for. Worst case scenario you get some experience with the process and they reject you, best case scenario they hire you or give you a shot at another (unposted) position that is closer to your level.

If you spend your whole life only applying for jobs where you meet all the bullet points, you're going to end up working at a gas station until you die.
>>
>>29884479

Maybe if you're not smart enough to join a ruddy trade union.

>>29884277

Reported to my local commissar have fun getting summary executed
>>
>>29883349
>femanon
>wants to be a Marine
>I don't take any shit

You're the "I'm a bad bitch" type aren't you? You do realize 99% of your time in most military jobs is spent following and taking orders and abiding by military law, especially if you take a combat job, correct? There is always someone to give you orders, there is always someone above you.
>>
>>29886110

None of the people I keep in touch with who went into the trades are making what I do. Trades are great for getting you into the middle class quickly, but they also cap out pretty fast and work a lot of body-destroying overtime.
>>
>>29886177

13 ladder system mate. The labor rung never goes as high as the others.

Not the guy you're replying to, but I like to interject with that bit.
>>
>>29883349

>femanon here
>I want to be a marine

Not even gonna greentext the rest.
>>
>>29883349
F E E T
E
E
T
>>
>>29886226
>ima grill btw

everytime
>>
Hi
>>
>>29885340
>>29885310
Currently (as of this April) the Coast guard is pushing hard for new recruits. It is definitely a good time to enlist.
>>
goodnight /meg/ bump
>>
>>29882964
Learning a language here will be the most stressful thing you will have done in your life.
t. Korean student at DLI
>>
Asked in another thread.
Anyone headed to Benning in late August/early September?
Where my infantry at.
>>
Just leaving AF basic. Ill be up for a short time if you have non-retarded questions.
>>
>>29887266
What was PT like on an average day?
>>
>>29887301
Run days: 25 ish minutes of self paced jogging in a big group, then 6 minutes alternating sprints and walking, and some warm ups and stretches before and after. Strength days are various bodyweight exercises done as a squadron, plus the warmups and cooldowns. Take it upon yourself to push hard everyday, since the MTIs probably wont push you that hard. Most weeks you work out 5 times. It's summer schedule so it'll be in the mornings.
>>
>>29887330
Had you been training at all before you left for basic? If so, do you feel like you were physically well-prepared going in?
>>
>>29887102

Some units are starting a nice cuddly red phase now, doing the first ruck in tennis shoes around a track with barely any weight, etc.

Continue to expect bullshit and fuckery besides.
>>
>>29887395
I was a weak fatty who started training and losing weight several months before going. Got my 1.5 mile down to about 12:00 and about 25 pushups and 50 situps in a min at the time I left. pushed crazy hard during PT, ate well, and worked out on my own time in the dorm. Got down to a 10 min 1.5 mile, 40 pushups (still crappy), and 70 situps. Got a 95.3 on that last test.

Start working out now. The AF PT standards are still low but theyre a lot higher than they used to be and if you fail one component you fail the test. Plus you need over a 90 to be eligible for dat Honor Grad.
>>
File: 74d.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
74d.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>29883349
>top bait bro
>>
>>29887102

Headed out to basic in June senpai ill save u a seat in infantry school

GO BULLDOGS
>>
>>29887441
>>29887395
LEAD THE WAAAYY
WOOLFPAAACK
>>
Are there any non NSW combat roles in the Navy? I want to be in the shit but the Muhreens and Army don't appeal to me at all.
>>
>>29887455
Benning too? Good luck!
>>
>>29887717
No.
Get over it and pick one.
Stigmas, public view, whatever. It's all bullshit. Don't pick a branch; pick a job.
>>
Hello /meg/
Im trying to reclass into a different MOS, but as usual they aren't making it easy. I tried contacting my career advisor at our Unit but he's MIA. Should I just go talk to a recruiter? I ETS next year, and I don't want to re-up in this same shit MOS. I'd rather just let my contract expire, and try to rejoin with a fresh start.
>>
>>29887768
>let my contract expire, and try to rejoin with a fresh start.
This will be one hundred times harder.
>>
>>29887746
Guess I'm just going to go for SWCC.
>>
File: image.png (157 KB, 926x372) Image search: [Google]
image.png
157 KB, 926x372
ok out of highschool (didn't graduate) and weight was 200 lbs. huge weeb.

Today I have my GED and weigh 140. I have picked my life together. What i want to know is...

How do I join Army and get stationed in Japan to live my weeb fantasy or see it crushed? Either out come, I must go.
>>
Is EOD entry competitive? e.g do they only let 5-10 people in each year?
>>
So are we getting pay raises when Trump wins?
>>
File: 002.jpg (89 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
89 KB, 2048x1365
>tfw you'll never fly this beauty
>>
>>29887947
They won't take you with just a GED
You also need 15 credits at a college/uni for it to be equivalent to a HS diploma.
>>
>>29887947
Army is like the least likely to get stationed in weebland.

Just save your money and use your 30 days of paid time off a year to visit. You might even be able to get a free flight to Japan with Space-A travel (but it's unreliable).
>>
>>29887960
EOD used to send a fuckload of people through the pipeline. Not so much lately though, EOD has been hugely overmanned since the wars mostly ended.

It was a job field we created to fight a very specific threat that was killing us. EOD might just be reabsorbed into combat engineers if we go back to fighting wars where the main source of casualties isn't IEDs.
>>
>>29887960
AF might have lots of slots still. Pretty sure they have enlistment bonuses right now. Hard to get a guaranteed job with AF though.
>>
>>29888538
I hope so. Obama kept cutting our pay during his term, and only gave us a small raise earlier this year because people didn't think it was worth staying in anymore and quitting because of shit pay.
>>
>>29887887
I guess im just gonna have to be patient....
Or can a recruiter help speed things up? Im qualified for the MOS, I just need help contacting a unit and arranging things so that I can go to AIT and start drilling with them instead.
>>
>>29889055
go over his head
>>
I want to be infantry officer that actually does a good job not simply looks good to his supperiors. What do I have to expect and how do I accomplish that?

[spoiler] Talking about the german Bundeswehr here but please talk from your experience in other militarys [/spoiler]
>>
>>29885845

>they all want experience to get a job

NO THEY FUCKING DO NOT! THEY WILL HIRE YOUR STUPID ASS RIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE. MAYBE NOT YOUR STUPID ASS BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO READ WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR IN THE DESCRIPTION

>Cruise control for cool
>FAGGOT
>>
>>29889488
watch generation kill, emulate Lt. Fick.
>do the exact opposite of Encino Man and Captain America
>>
>>29889524
Ha funny I actually read his book "One Bullet away" and it is my biggest inspiration in becomming an Infantry officer.

I just noticed that while Fick had Alot of shitter in command on his Iraq tour he had a great CO when he was in 1/1 infantry and a line of really good NCO`s to his side. I am afraid of having uncarring shitters as the people that teach me how have command.
>>
>>29889558
I'm the same, but there's no war and infantry slots in the Marines are tough.
How long would it take to max the Marine pft to put in an OCS packet
>>
>>29889637
6 minutes
>>
>>29889637
>I'm the same, but there's no war and infantry slots in the Marines are tough.

Doesn't quite apply to me since I am a Kraut but I am sure I will have similiar issues.

>How long would it take to max the Marine pft to put in an OCS packet

Not quite sure what you mean. How hard the PFT is in OCS?
>>
>>29889651
9.5 minutes
>>
>>29889651
>>29889690
Ebine
I guess I should reword how long it'll take to train to max the pft
>>
>>29889708
2 months if you have a decent starting point and stick with it. eat right, train right
>>
>>29889743
I'm at around 170 or so fuck
What about rucking?
>>
>>29889811
i wouldn't run with a ruck without knowing how to do it right. but on your "rest days" maybe walk a couple miles with a weight vest or a weighted backpack that's secured properly
>>
>>29886297
Thanks for the info. I might want to finish college first. I have 2 more years. Do you think recruitment will be up in 2 years?
>>
>>29887065
D:
>>
>>29885162

Well you don't have to be a faggot about it. Figure if I'm going to do it at all, why not have some fucking fun?
>>
>>29889865
No idea, sorry.
>>
>>29890847
you're the one being a faggot
>>
>>29890916

Well then tell me, what should I do as a reserve officer? Jerk off to my butter bars and pretend I didn't join to do some cool shit and lead?
>>
>>29890935
yeah basically
>>
>>29881951
What do drone pilots make good money
>>
>>29890957
Eat a dick faggot, you're probably an ALMOST VET or some shit.

Anyone else have some useful input?
>>
Apachebro here. What's up fellas?
>>
>>29890976
Do your job, take care of your soldiers, don't be a yes man for your command, volunteer for assignments/deployments and not just the cool ones, take the shit details so your guys won't have to, don't just preach taking care if soldiers and their families. Lead by example.
>>
File: FLIR_targets_insurgents_dog.gif (1 MB, 315x227) Image search: [Google]
FLIR_targets_insurgents_dog.gif
1 MB, 315x227
>>29890979
Is it true you need a bachelors degree to be an officer.
>>
>>29881990
I believe you can join as an officer while completing your degree.
>>
>>29890976
hey, i went active duty enlisted, sir

have fun being an officer in the pretend army. make sure to take advantage of all those cool schools to show off all those tabs and all that training that you will never use
>>
>>29891016
Ha I know the guy who made that shot. To be an O grade officer yes, to be a Warrant, no.
>>
Shipping off in November and I cannot wait. Wish I had enlisted a long time before now.
>>
>>29891132
Dear God. I can't imagine not having shipped out already. Shipped in January been outta that hellhole since early March. Which branch? What MOS/afsc
>>
>>29887462
Anytime anyplace mustangs! Fuck the 331
>>
File: 1449504807325.jpg (745 KB, 1682x1088) Image search: [Google]
1449504807325.jpg
745 KB, 1682x1088
So good news, I got accepted to Army OCS.

Assuming things go well and I pass, let's talk about MOS selection.

I'm really hoping to get either Infantry, Armor or Combat Engineer. Anyone want to tell me a little bit about being an Officer in each?

Is there anyway of increasing my chances of getting picked for any of those?
>>
>>29891326
howd you get ready for the pft? how long did it take you? whats your pft scores?
>>
>>29891326

300. There used to be a great website called DBWOD.com (dumbbell Work-Out of the Day) that posted a new routine everyday. I followed it every single day for 3 months and starting eating Paleo. I dropped from 215 to 180 and my PT scores went through the roof.

The site is down now but there are some archived pages where you can snag the workouts.

Here's one: https://web.archive.org/web/20150116020023/http://www.dbwod.com/daily-dumbbell-workout/
>>
>>29891416

>I followed it every single day for 3 months

That's a slight exaggeration, I was able to get 4-6 times a week, not every single day. But I had to have a real good excuse for not getting one in.
>>
>>29888649
You're dead wrong.
GED and score over 50th percentile on the ASVAB and you're in.
>>
>>29891510
As a tier 2 recruit, and only sometimes.
>>
>>29891527
>a tier 2 recruit
You're literally mentally retarded. There isn't any such thing.
>>
>>29891347

This is your reply, >>29891416
>>
>>29884667
You made a fine decision, especially if you can get Airborne somehow, or a language.
>>
>>29882964
Advice? Well, I hear from the people who studied for it that it's largely assisted them, and the people who didn't study for it that they don't think you can. And the people who changed their mind after taking it for the first time and then studied and re-took it later in their enlistment? Yeah, they usually score significantly better than they did the first time, for what it's worth. There are whole books on the subject, though, and websites that try to sell you something or the other. I'd see if your local library had anything if you want to study, but honestly, with how low scores are for languages like arabic and chinese, or russian and farsi, there's almost no point in studying. When you get to the language portion itself, remember that it's all to an end, that you'll get paid, whatever it is that's a driving force for you, and that you'll eventually be out from the TRADOC IET bullshit and laugh at all your idiot teachers for not teaching you the things you actually needed to know. If you go FORSCOM, you'll almost never do your job. So, try to go somewhere where you'll do your job (inscom, SF, rangers, SMU) or you'll be a glorified broom pusher, like everyone else in the army.
>>
>>29891567
He might be talking about how E1 or E2 can be meritoriously promoted a rank in bootcamp for various reasons, a high school diploma or equivalent might be a requirement for one of the ways that can happen.

He's probably just a retard though.
>>
>>29889488
Be tactically and technically proficient, listen to your NCOs but don't do everything they say, trust and enable your subordinates, and bend over backwards for the people who will make you a god among men (i.e. your guys).
>>
>>29889558
Uncaring people will enable you to go dig into things yourself (because you will have to) and provide you plenty of examples of what not to do.
>>
>>29891567

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enleducation.htm

Recruit tiers are a pretty well known construct, don't be dumbtarded.
>>
>>29891016
To be an officer in the reserves you need to have a two year degree while working on your remaining two years, and then to be an active duty, commissioned officer you need a four year degree.
>>
>>29891688

Not that anon but in the 14 years since I joined I never heard of such a thing until just now. I was never a recruiter though, and I wasn't retarded and I graduated high school, and I was in a 120 line score mos that didn't have any ged holders in it so this was never a discussion point in my life until now.
>>
>>29891272
Navy. AECF hoping for ET. FC could be cool, too, but ET seems more... Practical.
>>
>>29891820
Navy vet here, you planning on staying in or getting out? If i was getting out and wanted a similar job id prob hope for ET but if i was stayting in id want FC personally.
>>
>>29891579
I've been using duolingo and plan on using rosetta stone at AIT. airborne would be great, too.
everyone always talks about civilian prospects of this MOS but I'm more concerned with the actual military side of it. like what do E-7/8 35series even do? assuming they haven't abandoned ship for the private sector or WO
>>
>>29891759
You're right, outside of recruiting circles "tiers" are rarely discussed. Usually when I mention them people's minds jump to cawwadooty bullshit.
>>
>>29891434
>>29891416
paleo?
what kind of exercises did that site have? it had running and everything? i was just looking at some gym routine and add on running

48G went through that so whenever he pops by he'll give you info, iirc your best shot at getting what you want is from how well you do in OCS, top candidate gets his pick then so on and so forth.
>>
>>29887441
Thank you for this, this makes me feel a lot better about myself going to San Antonio in two months :)
>>
>>29891882
Yeah I plan on staying in for awhile. Maybe not the full 20 but I won't know until I'm in the fleet.
>>
>>29892042

Paleo is a diet where basically meals consist of fruits, vegetables and meats but you cut out grains and dairy. Combine with exercise and any excess fat you have flies off.

Here's the link I post again, follow this: https://web.archive.org/web/20150116020023/http://www.dbwod.com/daily-dumbbell-workout/

The workouts involve runs, sprints, body weight and dumbbell exercises. Very high-intensity but very productive.

Also, anyone can do them, that's the best part. Everything is 'Do X then Y then Z for as many rounds as possible in 15 minutes,' so it doesn't matter if you are just starting and super out of shape or an athletic beast, as long as you are going as hard as you can you will be getting an excellent workout in.
>>
>>29891685
>>29891673

Thanks for helping out. I will give my men everything I have to give.

>Uncaring people will enable you to go dig into things yourself (because you will have to) and provide you plenty of examples of what not to do.

You are not wrong and this way I probably have the greater learning effect but I am afraid that this will lead to unnecesarry fuck ups whose consequences my guys will have to suffer from either in or outside of combat.
>>
>>29892112
seems like hippie nonsense, guess ill try it
what about supplements?
so no rice?
no gomad?
no pasta?
no bread?
what a world
i guess i gotta get dumbells
>>
>>29892159
cavemen didn't have pasta, anon
>>
>>29892071
Well im pretty sure advancement is better for FCs but ET is a far easier job but FC is better no matter what NEC id probably say.
>>
File: 2624206718_05176d39e6_b.jpg (660 KB, 1024x727) Image search: [Google]
2624206718_05176d39e6_b.jpg
660 KB, 1024x727
>>29892187
yeah they did
damn thats tough i like the occasional pizza and pasta and rice alright
fuck
what do i eat instead of rice?
>>
>>29892159

It's not hippie shit. It's simple nutrition. If you cut out carbs and dairy you are going to lose a ton of weight.

Should add: If you care about gains this is not for you. But combine it with high intensity interval training and you will become very cut and enjoy a high level of FUNCTIONAL fitness, which is the most important kind of fitness for a solider to have.
>>
>>29892112
>>29892159
>>29892187
>>29892273
This is a complete fucking lie. Paleo is a retarded scam and a lie. Dont eat this shit dude. If you are trying to loose weight you need to completely remove processed sugar and all animal products besides the leanest beef possible and chicken breasts. Eat lots of vegetables and beans. High in vegie protein and fiber. Dont listen to those idiots Paleo is a meme. Lurk /fit/ and youll see that what im saying is true.
>>
>>29892298
W R O N G
R
O
N
G
Bodybuilders eat huge amounts of white rice every day. your body runs on carbs faggot. Eating huge amounts of fatty red meat is gonna fuck your heart and digestive system up.
>>
>>29892298
>>29892300
thats all i really care about passing the pft
and eventually running an ultramarathon
im at the weight level though 155/5'7"
>>
>>29892300

>Paleo is a retarded scam and a lie

Well it worked for me, Anon.
>>
>>29892310
>Bodybuilders eat huge amounts of white rice every day.

I literally just said this isn't for fucking gains retard.

>Eating huge amounts of fatty red meat

When did I say to do that?

Jesus the fucking faggotry in this thread
>>
>>29891285
331 really was on top when I was there though.
>>
>>29892313
You only weigh 155 pounds??? Are you a girl??? Just lift some fucking heavy ass weights and youll loose fat and build muscle.
>>29892315
>Well it worked for me, Anon.
Thatr doesnt mean anything. People loose weight eating mcdonalds everyday but it doesnt mean its optimal.
>>29892324
Thats what paleo is you moron. Eggs and meat. Your body shuts down without cars. Shut your mouth you fat washout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8
Watch vid ignorant faggots
>>
>>29892068
No prob. Like I said it's gonna be shitty and stressful, especially the first couple weeks. But it gets better, and you'll make it just fine if you try.
>>
>>29892313
to add on i do enjoy lifting now that im getting into it but i guess ill discard all that in favor of actually passing the pft
>>29892348
i am 5'7" and 175 is the max for my weight.

i feel like i should know more about paleo since i did major in biochem and took nutrition courses but i dont remember shit. ill email my professors, maybe they might give me info
>>
>>29892313
>>29892315
>>29892324
>>29892365
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qlYfvibI6Y
Lad Paleo is stupid, watch the vids i posted. Once you put on muscle your weight will go up. Worry about how you perfrom not the number on the scale.
Also watch
>>
File: hmmmmmmmmm.jpg (25 KB, 528x440) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmmmmmm.jpg
25 KB, 528x440
>>29892348

>Paleo: Eating meat, vegetables and fruit
>Bad for you
>"Oh my god look at this unhealthy piece of shit eating chicken breast and green beans for dinner!"

Okay angry internet guy

Also

>Thinking TEDx talks are legitimate
>>
>>29892381
This sint some liberal bullshit ted talk its about science you moron. And again you need carbs. There is nothing wrong with eating rice or quinoa. Youre a moron if you think thats true.
>>
File: avZVNyE_460s.jpg (28 KB, 460x353) Image search: [Google]
avZVNyE_460s.jpg
28 KB, 460x353
>>29892138
>>29889558
>>29889488

I am this anon.

I will actually soon meet a "Stabsfeldwebel" (american equivalent is Master Seargent (OR-8)) who was a paratrooper and also went through scout-sniper training and other things.
He had multiple tours in Kosovo on peace-keeping mission and finished after 8 years though he was enlisted for 13 under circumstances I do not know more about. After that he acquired a degree in mechanical engineering.
He seems to have a negative stance on the Bundeswehr as a political tool and a mixed view on it as an experience for the men part of it.

I wanted to present him with what my plan in the military was and ask him about the experience he has made with it as an institution and the officers he got.You got anything I could ask him more about?

>Tl;DR:
Any Ideas what to ask experienced Vet?
>>
>>29892417
>>29892381
wait is quinoa a "carb"
i thought i would replace rice with quinoa
howd you eat meals without rice?
>>
>>29892324
>isn't for fucking gains

What in the fuck am I reading?
>>
File: oops.jpg (11 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
oops.jpg
11 KB, 300x225
I'm thinking about joining the Coast Guard Auxiliary. Any tips?
>>
>>29892429

It's not hard. I usually ate chicken breast/leg/thigh with a side of vegetable or sweet potato.

Replace chicken with fish, or lean beef, or pork to mix things up.

Enjoy as you lose weight.
>>
maybe it'll be weird emailing my professor about the paleo diet
i didnt even like the dude that much
>>
>>29892429
Go for it, its expensive but its orob the best you can get. It has both protein and fiber which is rare. Eat that with beans, i prefer black or kidney, which also have fiber and protein with some lean animal protein and some veggies.
>>29892430
A fat keyboard warrior trying to talk /fit/.
>>29892463
this guy gets it. Sweet potatoes are fantastic.
>>
>>29892429
Quinoa is a carb, but it's lower in carbohydrates and higher in protein than other carbs.
>>
Joining the USAF here, how do I gain weight I only weigh 145 but I want to cultivate some mass?
>>
>>29891996

I had already come back from my first deployment in the gwot before the first call of duty even came out... yeah, call of duty, not modern warfare.
>>
>>29892749
Encourage /fit/ to wreck the thread even harder. Great job.
>>
>>29892348
>fatty detected.
>>
>>29891527
>As a tier 2 recruit
Okay? And?
>sometimes
Ha.
>>
>>29892849
>enlistment thread
>on 4chan
>full of outta shape NEETS
>joing the military
>where you need to not be outta shape
>>
You can eat whatever you want, just don't eat so fucking much of it.

99.9% of fatties are fat because they simply eat too much. If you fatguys counted your calories you would probably find that you are consuming like 5000 a day or some shit; that amount combined with doing nothing but sitting on 4chan all day is no bueno.
>>
>>29893078

Hey, I'll have you know that I eat less than 2,000 calories per day. I DRINK my calories, then work out like a bitch, thus failing to lose or gain weight.

>t. former runner
>>
>>29893078
>If you fatguys counted your calories you would probably find that you are consuming like 5000 a day

I know you're trying to make a point, but the truth is that most fatguys don't eat twice their BMR. They eat a snack or two (300-500 calories) above their BMR, and they do it consistently. Getting fat doesn't happen because of massive binging, it happens because of having the exact opposite habits of the ones you need to lose weight. Overeating by a few hundred calories and doing it consistently over years.
>>
>>29887960
The course is rigous. Even during the surge, the failure rate was about 70%, and I'm sure they can afford to be much pickier these days. If you want info, I can share, though it will be out of date since I got out as a senior badge a few years ago.

>>29888801
>It was a job field we created to fight a very specific threat that was killing us

That's all wrong. EOD does plenty of work and has been around for a long time. The ability to identify and disarm ordnance in a controlled manner is needed forever. Plus EOD (specifically the 21st Army CO) are the only people qualified to deal with safing chemical ordnance.

Even during garrison we stayed quite busy.
>>
>>29893165

Yeah, I was being hyperbolic, but I do feel like one of the reasons why many people are fat is in fact due to "binging" like that. I especially saw it in college and the military, kids who are away from home for the first time in their lives and don't want to cook so they eat three 1200 calorie fast food meals a day. If you're only doing unit pt three times a week of course you're going to get fat.

I would love to read some longitudinal studies on weight gain. I can see people getting fat over time as you say by going a few hundred calories over every day for years, but my experience as I said is that it happens much faster by kids getting on the fast food diet.
>>
I got a meritorious promotion to E-4 while in school. When the fuck am I going to get this shit? I am getting different answers
>>
Can someone tell me about the following army MOS and what they are like during peace and war time?

11B
11C
>>
File: 8EuiVnp.jpg (502 KB, 1600x1311) Image search: [Google]
8EuiVnp.jpg
502 KB, 1600x1311
Well gentlemen, it's finally here. 91 ASVAB sitting in San Antonio now. Tomorrow at 0400 I begin my first day of USAF BMT. Going to EOD tech school after this.

I've already elevated above and beyond the emotion of fear.
>>
If I enlist in the next year or so (As Infantry) what are the chances I'd see combat?
>>
>>29894282
Depends on who wins the election.
>>
>>29894204
>91 asvab
literally no one cares
>>
>>29894282
What are the chances that you'll ever get military grade small unit tactics combat training, if you don't enlist right now?

Just go do it. There are plenty of other bonuses to being a grunt.
>>
>>29894300
Okay if Hillary wins? or if Trump wins?
>>
>>29894311
I got a 98, but was disqualified for childhood asthma and ADHD.

Recruiter said I would have been the smartest person in the Michigan National Guard.

*sigh*: What could have been...
>>
>>29894349

Pmt senpai

You wont ever get to play red orchestra 4 in real life if youre not enlisted
>>
>>29882183
E6 here. DGAF about that because I weekend war and am a GS12 the other 28 days of the month.. Also, fuck being an officer. I like shooting things.
>>
Hey /k/

So I am debating whether to go to

>University (Political Science - Policy studies) and then become officer

>Non-Commisioned (Air Force) then University (PolSci Policy Studies) then re-enlist as Officer

>University (PolSci Policy Studies) then go Non-Commisioned then once contract is up re-enlist as Officer.

The university course includes French and I am Canadian planning on going into Canadian Forces.
>>
>>29891016
You have to have at least 90 credits for the Army and sign a contract that you agree to finish your education in a certain amount of time.
>>
>>29894451

i got a 99 git gud fgt
>>
I'm thinking of army/navy but I'm still sore after 8 hours on my feet at work pushing grocery carts, how's basic gonna be for me?
>>
>>29894004
I can tell you about 11C. Anything you want to know in particular? Honestly, 11C is fucking great. But everyone will tell you different. Especially Bravo's.
>>
>>29894451
>michigan national guard
>what could have been
bullshitting around on the lakes all day?
>>
>>29894581
You both suck, I got a 100%. They tried to get me to go military inteligence, but I was dead set on special forces.
>>
>>29894204
nic?
>>
>>29894609
Well, that's what I do all day now.
>>
>>29894622

99th percentile is the highest score you can get senpai. it means for every 100 people who took it you were the top scorer.
>>
>>29894606
yeah im interested in 11C

can you tell me what its like just your day to day experience? what you deal with during peace time and if you know, what 11C would be like during wartime?
>>
>>29894547

you sound like a faggot and your shit's all retarded t b h
>>
>>29894687
That's retarded. 100% is every question right.
>>
>>29894566

Can the army pluck me out of my navy contract? 130 credits here and enlistedfag. didn't know army did that shit
>>
File: 1453454112024.jpg (124 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1453454112024.jpg
124 KB, 640x640
this is probably a typical question, but fuck it. i've been waiting for my recruiter to call me back. i check in with him now and then, and he tells me that he's still working on my case.

what might be going on? I don't have any outstanding waivers or medical problems. I got an 88 on the ASVAB. Is he just yanking my chain? I just want to be a soldier already

sorry for the blog
>>
>>29894943

Probably legitimately busy, how long have you been waiting?
>>
>>29894740
Sure, but that isn't how the ASVAB is graded.
>>
>>29894966

i've been seeing the same guy since november. All i've got to do now is go down to meps to get a physical. He really helped me out with getting my waiver, but I sort of had to show up in person at the station to ever get him moving on it. I don't want to act like a punk, but I'm worried I might be getting too old for the army. I'm 22
>>
>>29894943
a lot of times it takes time to wait for enough ship date and contract openings to actually fill out the rest of the paperwork.

If this is the case then he's legitimately just waiting for a number to open up for you so he can get you exactly what you want.
>>
>>29895023
You're going to have to show up in person every time. Recruiters have a LOT of people call them and hassle them about getting things done, then back out at the last minute.

The only guys who actually follow through are the ones who come into the office every time.
>>
Im in the navy DEP program waiting for my security clearance before I enter basic. Im trying for the nuke program. Anyone here have experience with who want to share stories? Like best day, worst day, and normal day. TELL ME WHAT IM GETTING INTO
>>
>>29895023

Nah, you're not even close to too old.

When is the last time you met with him in person and when did he tell you he'd get back to you?
>>
>>29895044
i told him, though. i don't have any reservations. i'm totally down to go infantry or cook if it means shipping

>>29895073
you're right. i'm gonna head down there tmrw. any tips for how to make it as chill as possible?

>>29895106
december. what's the average age for the army?
>>
>>29892749
USAF here, what's you height?
I'm a fucking stick at 5'10" 132, right at the minimum. If you pass meps don't worry about it, there will be people even smaller than me.
>>
>>29895091

don't do nuke. do like CT or some shit
>>
>>29895216

>any tips for how to make it as chill as possible?
Call and say you'd like to come in and do whatever it takes to move things forward. If he tells you not to come in then you ask when a good time to come in would be. If you just come in there unannounced he could very well be busy.

>average age for the army?
Probably 18-20 but that doesn't mean shit because they'll take anyone under 35; not many 34 year old people decide to enlist which is why it's not the average.
>>
>>29895293
Whats wrong with nuke?
>>
>>29895387

school with 50% drop rate, high suicide attempt rate, hard working conditions, first on the ship, last off in port, etc.

there's a reason the bonus is so big for a navy that is penny-pinching
>>
>>29895463
I could care less about the first on the ship, last off. Its the working conditions that I want to know. What makes it so harsh?
>>
>>29895356
thanks, anon. may white god smile upon you
>>
>>29895463
>>29895534

The "first on, last off" thing is a big part of the working conditions issue. While all your non-nuke buddies are exploring foreign ports and women, you're working. While they're all taking college classes and bettering themselves, you're working. While they're all getting some downtime from their jobs, you're working.

To be honest, the difficult school and working conditions aren't really the reason that you shouldn't go nuke. A hard school is usually good, it means it's actually worth passing. The issue is that if you're smart enough to be a successful nuke, you will be just as successful if not moreso as a CT. You'll have a less stressful time in the Navy, and at least equal job prospects, if not better.
>>
>>29895642
Well obviously my recruiters highlight the benefits of being a nuke, what are the benefits with CT? minus the working condition with nukes
>>
>>29895023
I shipped when i was 22, turned 23 in bmt. Trust me there will be plenty of guys older than you
>>
>>29892864
Try again faggot.
>>29895642
>>29895712
What he was saying is true, i shit you not 3 people killed themselves the first month i was at nuke school. Glad i got outta that shit big time. Fuck nuke Go CTN is you are smart enough which im guessing you are and dont mind never being on a ship. If you want ship life go CTR 1st choice CTT 2nd. But there are lots of good rates on ships so tell me what you are into and your goals and ill spit out some rates.
>>
>>29896081
I'll be turning 30 in my last week of basic
>>
>>29895293
Second for CT. Its cryptobro btw, if anyone here remembers me.
>>
>>29895023

Im 23 and i ship next month lad
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.