[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have experience with muzzleloader kits? I wanna know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: Traditions Hawken Kit.jpg (104 KB, 900x522) Image search: [Google]
Traditions Hawken Kit.jpg
104 KB, 900x522
Anyone have experience with muzzleloader kits?

I wanna know more about the process of building one at home
>>
>not pictured- rust blueing kit

Firstly, you'll have to buy one of those to finish.

>not pictured- wood staining and lacquering kit

Secondly, you'll have to get those, too.

>not pictured- tools to hand fit and assemble

And those, too.
>>
What's the cheapest I can expect to pay for a 1700s flintlock musket replica? Charleville preferred but I'd take a Brown Bess or other country smoothbore. I don't care if it's a kit or complete.
>>
>>29878182

You get what you pay for. If you know how to hand fit and sand/shape wood, I'd say you're better off buying a kit.

If you have money you want to get rid of, go to Pedersolis website.
>>
>>29878182
Kit maybe 400
Ready to go 600-800
>>
File: Rifle_CVA-Mountain Rifle.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Rifle_CVA-Mountain Rifle.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
I built this one from a kit I bought at a garage sale. It was an old CVA mountain rifle. A good one. Early with a Douglas barrel. You need to have some good woodworking and mechanical skills. Stay away from power tools. Buy or borrow spoke shaves, small hand planes, cabinet makers rasps. Work slow and careful. Use as many old techniques and recipes you can for stain and finish. Consider browning instead of blueing. Browning is more even on dissimilar iron and believe me a kit is a collection of dissimilar iron. I stained with chemical stain not oil based. I used BLO as a final finish. I was happy with results. Yours may very.
>>
>>29880190
Another thing I did was junk the screws in the kit and used old flat head plain iron screws that took the browning. You can find them if you look.
>>
>>29880237
Attention to the small details make a big difference in making it look custom vs. kit.
>>
>>29880190
Have you thought of case hardening the locks and such?

Personally think it looks like hot garbage but a lot of people like the look and I think it'll make up fir the different irons and steels used.
>>
>>29877874
>bluing
He could leave it in the white- the French did that a fair bit in the past. It holds up better than you'd think.
>>
>>29877874
>>29877800
IIRC, once you pay for all the shit to finish the rifle, its pretty much the same price as buying the complete rifle.
those kits are what $250-$300, and a complete rifle is ~$500.
>>
>>29877800
do people still use these seriously or is it just a collector type... yeah this would be a cool thing to own... kind of deal?
>>
>>29880603
I think the point is usually to actually build & finish the rifle yourself. It would be good gunsmithing practice. All the metal and wood finishing TLC is labor intensive and if you are careful and decently skilled you can probably do a much better job than you'd see on the pre-assembled models.
>>
>>29880697
It's a unique thing that you never see on the range and you can tell people you built it

>inb4 hurr I built an AR before
>>
>>29880697
My uncle went hunting with his to get a jump start on the season and kept it in his range bag for if a jackass wouldn't stop pelting brass at him.

I miss my uncle.
>>
>>29881388
Nothing like a cloud of BP smoke to irritate jerks.

Its why I generally bring a box of BP 45-70 loads with me.

Your uncle knew his shit anon.
>>
>>29878559
>>29878567
Does anyone even make Charleville kits? All the ones I've found are ready made.
>>
>>29880603
>>29881026 this.

The experience and lessons apply to many things in life and can help you.
>>
On the topic of PB anyone have a suggestion for a first BP gun? Leaning towards a 1859 Remington for dat cylinder conversion option and top strap.
>>
>>29877874
>Rust blue kit
Draino, old hot plate, a pan long enough to fit the barrel, and your back yard. $30.
>Wood staining and lacquering kit
Your choice of stain, bottle of linseed oil, old t-shirt. $20.
>Tools to handfit
Set of files, sandpaper. $10.

Wow, it's fucking nothing
>>
I have a Kentucky Rifle kit. They are made of pain and frustration if you're not good at wood carving, cause none of those parts fit even remotely close.
>>
>>29886685
You don't use Draino for a rust blue and you also are going to be spending hours with a file set for the fitting. Hand chisels can be had for like 30ish bucks for a decent jap steel set.
>>
File: bluing.png (467 KB, 1341x2500) Image search: [Google]
bluing.png
467 KB, 1341x2500
>>29886685
>draino is the same thing as sodium hydroxide in an evenly heated temperature controlled tank

Off yourself
>>
>>29886828
No it isn't. Hasn't been since the meth makers started using it in their production.
Additives in Drano now kill all use for bluing.
Even then you do not use bases for rust bluing, you use a nitric or hydrochloric acid fume source.
>>
>>29886859
did you even read the pic I posted?
>>
>>29886867
Do you even know what the fuck you are talking about?
Apparently you have no clue what bluing and rust bluing actually are.
>>
>>29886877
>using shitty outdated dishpan methods
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.