[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Disabling landmines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14
File: landmines.jpg (43 KB, 425x425) Image search: [Google]
landmines.jpg
43 KB, 425x425
Remember, it's not a stupid idea if it works.

Would using something like crazy glue to fuse the triggering mechanism on a land mine be a thing? I have real life experience with mines but I bet at least a couple of you huge faggots do.
>>
>>29873307
the best way to "disable" them is to blow them from a safe distance.
don't go trying to be backyard EOD or some shit.
>>
File: who is dog.gif (62 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
who is dog.gif
62 KB, 600x600
>>29873307
God damn it,
I *** DON'T *** have any real life experience with mines but who knows what kind of faggots are lurking.
>>
File: vegitales.gif (44 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
vegitales.gif
44 KB, 600x600
>>29873316
>don't go trying to be backyard EOD or some shit.
Do you hate fun/ you some kind of commie faggot?

I'm talking about after someone stepped on one, would a fast drying super adhesive work to keep the trigger control from actuating?

pic related It's a serious question anon.
>>
I... I have a confession to make..

>>29873316
I do this all the time
>>
>>29873585
blow things or get into backyard OD? Cause either way I'd like to be you friend.
>>
>>29873585
Natural selection will decide
>>
>>29873438
>A common misconception prevailed that the S-mine would not detonate until its victim stepped off the trigger.

>This fallacy was propagated by incorrect United States propaganda during World War II. The mine would detonate whether the trigger was released or not.
>>
>>29873438
Landmines don't work that way.
>>
>>29873316
>backyard EOD
you say that likes its a bad thing
>>
I was born in Serbia, but currently live in US

>Tfw landmines in your neighborhood made life more fun and interesting
>>
>>29873604
Both kinda

Mainly the former
>>
>>29873438
The entire reason this urban legend started was that there was a few second time delay for the soldier to move his foot off a bounding mine so the mine could pop out the ground and blow.

Holding the foot on past a few seconds would blow the foot off and possibly interfere with full ejection, so the mine would either detonate as a ground burst or below the original waist height.
>>
>>29873307
Just cum on it.
>>
I want to play frisbee with one of them flat landmines

Or, Punt a bouncung betty at the super bowl

>LACES OUT
>>
I once found an WWII era landmine

I didn't know it was still active until I thew it over my fence
>>
>>29873766
Also

Why do grenades heat up when you remove the lever? I burnt my hands with that one
>>
File: snabbity snib.jpg (81 KB, 553x750) Image search: [Google]
snabbity snib.jpg
81 KB, 553x750
>>29873678
>The entire reason this urban legend started was that there was a few second time delay for the soldier to move his foot off a bounding mine so the mine could pop out the ground and blow.

So your saying that most landmines have chemical reaction timed triggers and not spring loaded triggers? I did not know this. Never mind my question, apparently i suck cocks.

pic related
Thank you for this post. You not only answered my question but shared info that I could learn from. This is how /k/ used to be. I wish I could buy many beers for us to share while we seduced all the sloots in the bar.

>>29873709
>Just cum on it.
That's not funny, that's how my family died
>>
>>29873804
Because they have an actual fuse that ignites and produces heat.
>>29873821
They do have spring loaded triggers. They activate when you step on it, not step off. Your foot hits a prong, tipping it and lighting the fuse. There is a fused delay before it goes boom.
>>
>>29873821
If you held a grenade long enough for the fuse to heat the casing, you probably don't have hands.
>>
>>29873821
>Thank you for this post. You not only answered my question but shared info that I could learn from. This is how /k/ used to be. I wish I could buy many beers for us to share while we seduced all the sloots in the bar.

/k/ isn't that way anymore because all the good posters died of cockrot from the bargoyles. Remember kids, its safer to play with landmines than loose women.
>>
>>29873869
>They activate when you step on it, not step off. Your foot hits a prong, tipping it and lighting the fuse. There is a fused delay before it goes boom.
SO if I ever step on a mine while having a nice Sunday striool I have beeter move my ass as far as I can for survival? Or are tyhe fuses to quick to get a little distance and get close to the ground?

I'm not thinking of penetrating the perimeter of any military installation with mine fields surrounding it or anything guys. I'm only asking for purely scientific reasons.
>>29873884
I've never trains with grenades, that was someone else question>>29873918
>Remember kids, its safer to play with landmines than loose women.
anon.
Sadly this is true today. One of the only good things about being way past middle age is I remember back before hiv or even herpes really. you could have the sloppiest sex imaginable with bar sluts and at worst you might piss fire till you got a big ass shot of penicillin.
>>
>>29874082
no fuses in most mines. straight to detonator
>>
>>29873307
/k/onscript here. I served with a combat engineer battalion and our pioneers were issued sticks to prod for AP mines. The rationale being that it takes 7-9 kg to trigger the mines, so if you prod lightly at an angle, you won't set it off.
>>
>>29874090
Yea, I get that now. Makes sense really.
I guess I fell for that hollywood bullshit.

But if someone stepped on the average land mine and in that very second moved away 15 or 20 feet and hugged the dirt would they survive?

>>29874264
Did you ever do any mine field clearing my poor drafted anon?
Also unrelated to thread.

I had a friend who was a CeeBee in 2002 and when he got called up for combat duty he was scared shitless... not saying I wouldn't have been in a constant state of pissing my pants. I asked him WTF did he think he think was going to happen when he bacame fucking combat engineer? Fucking CB's see some shit.

I remember hearing stories from my oldest relatives when I was a kid about our uncle who was a CeeBee during the Korean conflict. Those fuckers had great big steel balls IMO.
>>
>>29873307
12B here, I do have real life experience. If you did't lay it, blow it in place.
>>
>>29873307
Remember:
3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
>>
Alright, this entire thread is full of so many incorrect assumptions that I can't stand it. So, here it is: I'm an EOD Team Leader and knowing this kind of shit is literally my job. So, fire away. I will answer any questions that are not classified or sensitive in nature.

(So basically this is EOD: Let Me Google That For You)
>>
>>29875984
12B here again, why do EOD teams like running over crush wire with talons so much?
>>
>>29875984
I'm this asshole. I'll try to answer the questions in this thread up to this point.
>>29873307
Gagging a fuse will only work BEFORE it is tripped. This isn't Blown Away. The landmine is triggered when you stop on it, not off of it.
>>29873804
Grenade fuses heat up because they have a short pyrotechnic delay. Think of it like a black powder trail leading to the charge in a cannon.
>>29873821
I don't know of any landmines off the top of my head that use chemical triggers. Some sea mines do though. Typically landmines have either a firing pin held under spring tension or a belleville spring. GTS
>>29874082
>>29874933
The time between stepping on the mine and it ejecting the kill ball is maybe 1-3 seconds and will have a kill radius of at least 25 meters. You're pretty much fucked.
>>
>>29876073
Three possible answers:
1). The team member driving the robot is shit.
2). That shit is hard to see through the 1990s quality cameras on a Talon.
3). It is much faster to just blow up a barely functional Talon than to try and get an FSR to come out and fix the damn thing. Also, we left the XBox on back in the tent and we want to get back to our video games.
>>
>>29873646
You have a strange definition of the word fun
>>
>>29876102
12B here one last time, I was also a talon operator until they would't let us do it ourselves anymore after 08 the optics were fine if you had a line or directional antenna. So I accept answer's one and three, thank you for your honesty and declare you legit EOD... mostly for the Xbox part though.
>>
>>29876171
So here is the reason why number 2 is true for EOD: we are part of the Ordnance Corps (Army). Even though CIED is our primary function in country we get very little funding. EOD in pretty much every other branch is part of SOCOM (or equivalent) and have a TON of funding. Not the Army. Even though we are a majority of the EOD community all of our shit is old and busted. I see infantry, cavalry, and engineer vehicles with the high power directional antenna and sometimes even large HDTVs wired directly into the vehicle. Meanwhile, my team is using the 8" antenna on the shitty OCU up in the turret to try and achieve some semblance of "line of sight" with the robot, which starts to get static in the screen once the robot goes more than 20 feet from the JERRV. Gotta work with what you got though, man.
>>
>>29875984
Can the west actually teach kurds anything about EOD? it seems they are always on the receiving end of brand new IED developments. So apart from IED awareness training, what else could we possibly teach them? Shouldn't we be studying their captured IEDs and learning their disarmament techniques?
>>
>>29876280
This is not me jerking myself off, but the US, UK, and Israel produce the best EOD tech in the world. So yes, we can definitely teach the Kurds. We document, digitalize, teach, and share our experience more than any other group of techs. In my experience many of the nations with the highest instances of IED attack have the worst IED tactics. I have studied countless hours of film from the middle east and southeast asia, which escalate in IED violence every year, and their techs seem to lack a fundamental understanding of how IEDs actually work. They use outdated tactics, overestimate the abilities of their equipment, and underestimate the safe distance at which they can work.
>>
Genuine question here

I'm turning 18 next year and decided what I wanted to do

I want to join EOD.

What would I have to do to get in?
What branch offers the best?
Whick branch gets deployed the most?
Which branch gets deployed the least
Who has better gear?
Who has the best training?

I know next to nothing about military stuff but am willing to learn
>>
>>29876121
Playing football in a minefield

>Soccer for you Amerians
>>
>>29876867

Work out, run a lot.

They all offer the same bonus with the exception of the Marines. Navy is the hardest as you have to pass Dive School. The benefit of that is that you can be attached to Seal groups if you're good. Army has their own competition program for which you can earn a special bonus if you're good and get better work. Air Force you get to learn about nukes. They all offer 8k Bonuses for 6 years.

Don't go Marines EOD.

Probably most likely to see action if you join Marines EOD. And most likely to die.

Air Force deploys the least.

Navy has best gear.

EOD school is the same for all branches.
>>
>>29873438
essentially, with a landmine, you're stepping on the end of the firing pin and setting off your death.
basically, anyway.
there is no "oh shit if I stand on it itll not blow up"
thats a movie myth, do you really think landmine designers would design in such a fucking flaw?
>>
>>29876939
>Air Force you get to learn about nukes.
>Air Force deploys the least.
>that one day you get called to dispose of an improved nuclear device
>sweating elf man.ogg
>>
>>29876074
So would crazy glue keep the trigger from working anon?
>>
File: V69 VALMARA - Bounding AP.jpg (3 MB, 3510x5100) Image search: [Google]
V69 VALMARA - Bounding AP.jpg
3 MB, 3510x5100
>>29878441
Not him but also EOD.
Sometimes.
E.g. OPs image - only M14 (middle right) and maybe bottom left would have gapped pressure plates which would let superglue in to gag movement. Others e.g. centre middle and bottom left have rubber diaphragms to make watertight so nowhere to admit entry of glue. POMZ centre left fuze may be gluable but rendersafe is just cut tripwire and wrap around fuze so glue not needed.
>gagging fuze components isnt your new invention, its been used since ww2 when they used plaster-of-paris, now its usually 2part epoxies as cyanoacrylates (supaglue) can react with and soften plastics
>>
File: VS-50 AP.jpg (3 MB, 3510x5100) Image search: [Google]
VS-50 AP.jpg
3 MB, 3510x5100
>>29878636
E.g. VS50 bottom left - nowhere external to glue
>>
>>29876361
>underestimate the safe distance at which they can work.

insha'Allah... Some of the stuff they come up against is impossible to disarm, you can't even approach it! If I was a tech over there I'd probably adopt the same 'god wills it' attitude.

>lack a fundamental understanding of how IEDs actually work

When I see them tossing det cord and hme around I figured it was complacency through experience but it's scary to think that they didn't know what they were doing.
>>
>>29876121
>learn how to disarm mines
>free HE and detonators scattered around like easter eggs

Sounds fun to me
>>
File: 1429150789813.jpg (39 KB, 305x316) Image search: [Google]
1429150789813.jpg
39 KB, 305x316
>>29873307
>Disabling landmines
>it's not a stupid idea if
No. Seriously, no. Jesus fuck
>>
File: WkYwQIP.webm (1 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
WkYwQIP.webm
1 MB, 720x404
>>29879612
>No. Seriously, no. Jesus fuck

You mean disarming them with crazy glue right? Because disarming landmines is something that happens a lot.

https://youtu.be/mWfNZoXr6rQ
>>
>>29880324
>It's a holiday in Cambodia
>>
>>29876867
Underage REEEEEEEE
>>
Combat engineer here, land mines are tricky and can be booby trapped, dont fuck with em. I know how to disable/disassembles some models AMA
>>
>>29873438
99.9% of mines go off when pressure is applied, not when its removed.

So...no.
>>
>>29873804
It literally has a burning fuse in it.
>>
>>29874082
Most antipersonnel and antitank mines have detonation responses of around 7 milliseconds.

You'd not even register you stepped on it.
>>
>>29876939
Army promotes fastest
>>
>>29873732
mines are way too heavy to play frisbee
>>
>>29882858
>Land mines can be booby trapped

Yo dawg, i heard you like traps, so i put a trap on your trap so you can trap while you're trapping
>>
>>29882949
Last thing you want is some asshole disturbing your carefully laid field.
>>
File: tm57_05.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
tm57_05.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>29882949
this is a soviet tm57, manufactured to be wired to the ground, so you can't pick it up or it'll blow.
>>
>>29882858
so do you guys still make that concertina wire clusterfuck thing?
also, how do I into 12B?
I really fucking want to do it, but I have a feeling that I won't be able to for medical reasons.
>>
Mines aren't well understood I think, they aren't used to actually kill people. They're most effective when your enemy knows where they are, so they need to go around it. I don't remember every names but there are a couple of different types of minefields and one of them is fake. Just post a bunch of warning flags and you're done.
>>
>>29883050
Yes theres a lot of fucking around with concertina, A LOT, it's annoying. I don't know about american engineers, call a recruiter.
>>
File: 100_1230_1.jpg (75 KB, 800x457) Image search: [Google]
100_1230_1.jpg
75 KB, 800x457
>>29882902
>Most antipersonnel and antitank mines have detonation responses of around 7 milliseconds.

Former Navy SEAL here, we train our reaction times to be under 6 milliseconds for this very reason, it allows us at least 1 millisecond to disable the mine.

In the rare circumstance that we encounter a mine we can't disable a mine that 1 millisecond is used to email our memoirs, photographs and autobiographies to publishers so that our families will be taken care of with the royalty money.

I'll be on /k/ all night hmu with any questions.

Semper fiddely doo.
>>
>>29880442
P O L P O T
O
L
P
O
T
>>
>>29883050
oddly 12B is a hard job, but easy to get they take kinda anyone. You may have missed your window for med issues though. back in 04-05 they made it 21B (an non combat MOS) for like a year then changed it back. I went to basic with one guy missing a toe and another the half his left ring-finger then.
>>
>>29883019
Anything preventing you from clipping back the safety should you find one of these badboys?
>>
>>29883435
Usually there is a time delay arming safety.
Once the pin is pulled you have a set time until the mine is armed and after that there is no going back to safe.
>>
>>29883427
well shit.
so what do you guys mostly do?
all the recruitment shit is fucking around with C4 and mines but I figure its more getting bridgelayers stuck in mud and yelling at retarded 88Ms who decide that driving a fully loaded HET into a sandbank and then wonder why they got stuck and are bitching at you.
>>
>>29883207
>we can't disable a mine that 1 millisecond

sounds fishy buddy. you're not DEVGRU material that's for sure.

that's some low speed/high drag action.
>>
>>29883453
Then I'd put landmines on the "do not under any circumstance fuck with" list.
Sounds like blowing up on spot is a better approach.
>>
>>29883507
that's how actual deminers do it.
>>
>>29883453
no, you are wrong, you would die
>>
File: rk9P0Fa.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
rk9P0Fa.jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
>>29883050

Don't into 12B.

Into USMC 1371 and learn some civvy valuable construction skills too.
>>
>>29883643
or I could go 12N and get to fuck around with bulldozers and shit.
but being a muhreen would probably get my ass disowned, considering I'm from a 200-year back army family
>>
>>29883501
I don't have to prove anything to some lowly /k/ operator worshiper. I've worked with some DEVGRU guys (and girls) and let me tell you, they are the most trigger happy motherfuckers, friendly fire was everywhere! couldn't take them anywhere without one of our guys going down to a stray bullet. We honestly ran out of tourniquets for GSWs, I came back on a helo once with two on each limb! Our CO actually pile drived their CO outside the CP and to this day SEALs have never worked with them again.
>>
>>29875934
And a Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on
>>
>>29883435
It depends, the tm57 has a safety pin you COULD re-insert but it's impractical, you're messing with a sensitive fuze that's been in the ground for many decades. You could also remove the top cap and unscrew the actual fuze, if it's not been tampered with (ied)
>>
>>29884088
I think about it it's true for most AT soviet mines. Some AP too, but those are sensitive as fuck.
>>
>>29883643
Why dont into 12b?
>>
>>29883587
>that's how actual deminers do it

this is why that last EOD guy came into the thread. It depends on the circumstances, do you think an AP mine dropped from a helicopter will have an anti-tamper switch on it? What about legit minefields, do you just blow up three football fields of jungle to clear it? Context is everything!

Heres a video of a russian mine clearing vehicle explosively clearing a minebelt, because you'll probably get your panties twisted that I disagreed with you. See? We both can be right! https://youtu.be/MT3PPLrQGiU
>>
>>29884153
Theres all kinds of way to do it but where I'm from engineers do demining while EOD deal with IEDs and maybe 99% of IED are BIP. He's kinda right.
>>
File: Worthless Niggers.jpg (112 KB, 768x512) Image search: [Google]
Worthless Niggers.jpg
112 KB, 768x512
>>29884153
Tell these "soldiers" to lead from the front. Should get a clear path, and if not then nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>29884302
>Tell these "soldiers" to lead from the front.

Tell them? Order them? That's not going to work. Nobody joins the military to be put in danger, and you certainly can't order them to endanger themselves.

In a few years there will be nobody left to leave the wire.
>>
>>29876222
Take a soda can, remove both ends and cut lengthwise.

Bend into ( shape and tape to receiver antenna.

Take a Pringles can, jam a straight wire through the bottom so you have a wire innatube. Connect wire to transmitter antenna for a quick and dirty directional antenna. Rubber-band pencils together for a shitty tripod of make the bottom bitch in the squad hold it.
>>
>>29886504
Its two way, OCU and bot. the bot will not always point its ass to you even while you use it. I could explain this better but... well your just wrong and watch to much TV.
>>
>>29884149
This thread is about disarming mines, In training you can be asked to lay a live AT mine arm it and disarm it. We have not been doing that for a few years but will get back to it as we focus on force on force again.
>>
>>29878683
Just another hint why amateurs shouldn't fuck with mines.

>go on, just start squirting that superglue around, you'll be fine....
>>
>>29880324
pretty neat mine design
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.