[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm taking an economics class and we were going over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1386743219786.jpg (66 KB, 799x533) Image search: [Google]
1386743219786.jpg
66 KB, 799x533
So I'm taking an economics class and we were going over a 'supply and demand' concept. Basically the way I understand it, the more people want something, the higher the price goes, until more of that thing is made and sold, and then the price falls. It's a strict law of nature that if less people want something the price will go down, and if more people want something the price goes up.

I'm thinking about it, and I'm thinking this could be applied to the new gun market. Everyone bitches that new guns undergo horrible loss in value when you buy them, right? A 3k gun could turn into a 2k gun the second it leaves the dealer's hands. That's a huge amount of money just totally vanished and removed from the economy forever, and it's the reason why it's a better idea to always buy used.

What if everyone collectively decided to not buy new guns for a few months? By law the price of new guns will go down, and eventually it'll get to the point where a new car could be at the price of a used gun, and at that point everyone could just buy the new cars at used prices and avoid the depreciation hit. This way, everyone saves some money and it's not removed from the economy. Any thoughts?
>>
>>29849109
>make gun manufacturers go out of business just so we can trade cars for guns
No.
>>
>>29849109
you're fucking stupid man

>3k gun could turn into a 2k gun the second it leaves the dealer's hands.

made me kek
>>
>>29849109
If your firearm purchase depreciates 33% instantly, you are making bad purchases and Econ-100 won't save you. Ideally, the utility of a firearm and remaining service life should allow it to retain more value than that, Gucci ARs need not apply.

Supply-demand curves fall apart when the market value is at or below the cost of production, which would be about where this scenario would end. No one is working for zero margins and will make widgets if it pays better than ARs.
>>
>>29849109
A firearm recently purchased that has been cleaned, oiled, and had a barrel break-in procedure done should be slightly more valuable than a brand new rifle.

The logic behind this is:
>it's been test fired a few times, you know it works
>barrel break-in has been done already
>>
>>29849469
>break in period

will this meme ever die?
>>
>>29849109
Guns typically hold value very well, so long you aren't buying the latest fad bullshit. Rare/historic/regulated firearms even tend to appreciate in value. You need to look at things in the longer term.

>Not recognizing collective action problems
Take a few more classes.
>>
>>29849109

Okay OP, here's the thing. You don't understand economics yet. You're not prepared to manipulate markets with the very, very fundamental laws you're being taught right now.

It's true that low demand causes price to drop, but suppliers also wind up shifting markets. This causes you to lose the price lowering benefits of economies of supply (mass production) and you wind up with a niche market reserved for the wealthy or the inelastic consumers (people who NEED guns).

The very best way to make guns cheaper is to buy more cheap guns. This signals the market to make more cheap guns.
>>
File: 1427147649575.gif (3 MB, 704x528) Image search: [Google]
1427147649575.gif
3 MB, 704x528
>>29849415
>this

What is/was your major?
>>
>>29849109

>>29849593
>>29849415

Yeah, OP basically the problem that your theory runs into is the factors regarding the supply side. If there was, by some miracle, conditions in which consumers decided to completely abstain from firearm purchases for the next few months, producers would respond by limiting production, going out of business, etc.
>>
>>29849109
You're totally missing that as demand goes up new suppliers will enter the market. Prices will fall while consumers get more choice. If demand falls, some suppliers will cease to manufacture and consumers will have fewer options.

Equilibrium.

Firearms today are far less expensive than they were 20 years ago.
>>
People don't collectively make decisions. You'll learn about "schedules of value" later.
>>
>>29849109
>it's a strict law of nature that
No. Economics is not and never will be science.
>>
Guns are not cars. They do not magically lose value as soon as you touch them. A glock 19 new is 500. A glock 19 used is also 475.
>>
File: 1461729863680.jpg (79 KB, 464x416) Image search: [Google]
1461729863680.jpg
79 KB, 464x416
>>29849935
>retards on gunbroker believe this
>>
>>29849109
Guess what happens to the price of guns when everyone suddenly starts buying them again?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.