[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Some advice from my hunting /k/omandos. Going on my first elk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: 1457162306337.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1457162306337.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Some advice from my hunting /k/omandos. Going on my first elk hunt in AZ zone 6A this september and don't want to spend a fortune getting outfitted. Can I get away with using surplus multicams and my old army boots? This will be my first time hunting anything bigger than a javelina in AZ. Any advice is appreciated.
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
Where's that at?
>az fag here that hikes a lot of game areas
>>
>>29842853
flagstaff area
>>
>>29842863
Well last time I was off lake Mary road I saw much sign of elk/deer
>lots of scat fresh too
> tho lots of old kills in the area from other hunters
>shit load of game ever where
Make a blind with a good line of sight and use a call
>>
>>29842833
I hunt often but I know nothing about the elk tag lottery and rules about it. If it's rifle hunting, you're probably fine using milsurp, I spent 10 days off the grid in the Texas Hill Country and wore Columbia hiking boots and M81 woodland pants with a black Patagonia pullover. Had multiple deer get within 30 yards of me while sitting still on a large rock trying to spot pigs and bucks on bino's. Ate MRE's out of my pack for breakfast and it was cool enough I kept sausages and a tub of potato salad for supper each night.
Bring a serrated machete to build fires at night and a bottle of lighter fluid or zippo fuel to get them started.
>>
File: IMG_0824.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0824.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>29842906
We will be doing bow hunting and from my understanding this is a once in a lifetime draw. I have never hunted northern AZ before mostly just trecked around the Tucson region. From what I have been able to tell about the terrain I think multicams or ATACS would work great. I just want to be sure and not fuck up this once in a lifetime hunt for myself or my party.
>>
>>29843060
Have you thought about getting a crusty old guy that's gone before on your team? Seems like the best course of action. Congrats on scoring the tag though I've got a friend who has been trying for 5 years in Colorado and keeps trying to get one.
Multicam would probably be fine, I wear Max-4 every time I duck hunt even in environments that aren't Max-4 and I do fine. I usually just hack local brush down and pile it in a circle around my lawn chair, and mallards/pintails have good eyesight.
>>
>>29842833
If you don't get any luck near lake mary road try following the powerlines north of Anderson mesa until you get to the wood line, then skirt along the edge till you spot something.
>>
I was just up in the Kaibab plateau in British mtp; no problem getting within 60yds of mule deer and elk. A little red and yellow green to match to ponderosa and grass might also be good. Largely, bit is about stalking and not looking out of place. On that note, get a facemask or be prepared to tie a tactical shemagh.

>>29843100
Second on finding someone who has been out elking before.

Good hunting, /k/ommando. In Tucson if you haven't joined the AZ /K/ommando Facebook page yet.
>>
>>29843100
Forgot to mention I bagged mine on FR233 a few years back.
>>
File: IMG_1108.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1108.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>29843100
>>29843186
Going with my old crusty uncle and his friend. He bagged a bull in the same zone YEARS ago. I have mostly hunted deer, turkey, dove, quail and javalina. I have some time to prep and plan
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.